ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Eminence Lab 12C High Power 12" Subwoofer Speaker Driver 4 Ohm  (Read 18759 times)

Jeff Bailie

Re: Eminence Lab 12C High Power 12" Subwoofer Speaker Driver 4 Ohm
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »

If available-I prefer 3 types of limiters-peak (fast attack), "average" or continuous (1/2 of lowest freq attack) and powercompression (typically 1/4-1/2 half continuous power and SLOOOOOOW attack on the range of 3-4 seconds.

Awesome... with all that being said, I plan to go with awesome new amps for my next system.   Say I were to buy 6 DBH218's or some other power hungry cabinets that can handle 7200 watts.  For high output dance music, or in the case of Burning Man where we run the system continuously for multiple days, how much power do you give something like that?

I imagine the maximum dB output peaks much earlier than its peak power capacity.  How much over rms do we need to achieve the peaks at low hertz like 35? 

sorry, I am just rambling now...

Thanks again for all the info. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »

Awesome... with all that being said, I plan to go with awesome new amps for my next system.   Say I were to buy 6 DBH218's or some other power hungry cabinets that can handle 7200 watts.  For high output dance music, or in the case of Burning Man where we run the system continuously for multiple days, how much power do you give something like that?

I imagine the maximum dB output peaks much earlier than its peak power capacity.  How much over rms do we need to achieve the peaks at low hertz like 35? 

sorry, I am just rambling now...

Thanks again for all the info.
The DBH218 is NOT a "power hungry" cabinet.  That refers to a cabinet that requires a lot of power to get a decent output.  In this case it is very sensitive AND can handle a good bit of power-so the max output is very high.

If you are running any system for long periods of time-with low crest factor music-it is NOT a good idea to run high power-but rather to run LESS power-and keep the amps from clipping.  Long term heat can be a real issue.

Generally 1/2 or continuous is the most I would recommend.  For "normal" music, you can "overpower" them-because the heating is less due to the higher dynamic range.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »

The DBH218 is NOT a "power hungry" cabinet.  That refers to a cabinet that requires a lot of power to get a decent output.  In this case it is very sensitive AND can handle a good bit of power-so the max output is very high.

If you are running any system for long periods of time-with low crest factor music-it is NOT a good idea to run high power-but rather to run LESS power-and keep the amps from clipping.  Long term heat can be a real issue.

Generally 1/2 or continuous is the most I would recommend.  For "normal" music, you can "overpower" them-because the heating is less due to the higher dynamic range.

Ahh, true... with a sensitivity of 117 the DBH218 only needs a little power to make a lot of Bass.

I thank you for your time Ivan.

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »

I have another question rattling around in my head now. I think it deserves it's wn post maybe in a different location. But now that I have your attention I will just ask it here.

Q:  With some of the new limiter technologies such as Lakes ISVPL is it possible to program the amp to limit at a certain voltage in turn possibly limiting the total wattage available for a driver to draw?  (Example  -PLM20000q has 4 5000watt at 2 ohm channels. Is it possible to limit one of these channels down for use with a single 50watt rms compression driver).  I am using an exaggerated example really.. Just curious.

I cannot understand voltage to driver relationships yet.  I have no idea what kind of voltage my Labhorns get. or any of the the rest of my speakers.   I am slowly unlocking these personal mysteries thanks to you guys here.  Another reason I want to delve into Lake.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »

Ahh, true... with a sensitivity of 117 the DBH218 only needs a little power to make a lot of Bass.

I thank you for your time Ivan.
This is a clear case of not doing enough reading of the spec sheet.

It is VERY CLEAR on the spec sheet that the 117dB number is at 100hz.  The overall sensitivity is 112dB.  And that is with a 2.83V input into a 2 ohm load-which is 4 watts-assuming a constant 2 ohm load-which it is not-just like any loudspeaker.

But for the "simple number crowd"-then yes it is 117dB in the "bass region"

I prefer to think in terms of voltage-it is much better than wattage and gives a much clearer "picture".

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »

I have another question rattling around in my head now. I think it deserves it's wn post maybe in a different location. But now that I have your attention I will just ask it here.

Q:  With some of the new limiter technologies such as Lakes ISVPL is it possible to program the amp to limit at a certain voltage in turn possibly limiting the total wattage available for a driver to draw?  (Example  -PLM20000q has 4 5000watt at 2 ohm channels. Is it possible to limit one of these channels down for use with a single 50watt rms compression driver).  I am using an exaggerated example really.. Just curious.

I cannot understand voltage to driver relationships yet.  I have no idea what kind of voltage my Labhorns get. or any of the the rest of my speakers.   I am slowly unlocking these personal mysteries thanks to you guys here.  Another reason I want to delve into Lake.
It is not a matter of "newer technology", you can "turn down" the max output of any amp with a limiter to anything you want it to be.

The driver does not "draw" any power-it only turns the waste into heat.  How much "waste" there is, depends on the input voltage going to the driver and its impedance at a particular freq.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »

It is not a matter of "newer technology", you can "turn down" the max output of any amp with a limiter to anything you want it to be.

The driver does not "draw" any power-it only turns the waste into heat.  How much "waste" there is, depends on the input voltage going to the driver and its impedance at a particular freq.

haha awesome.  I re read that last post of mine a few times since I last wrote it. I wanted to delete it and re word it knowing that you would jump on me for my incorrect and miss worded definitions.  I need to spend more time properly planing my posts on here.  It is hard to ask questions when I don't know what I am talking about.  Like I said. Much of the inner workings of my own sound system are a mystery to me.  I want to know more.

I realize that no special technology is going to replace the knowledge and experience of an engineer like some of you professionals here on pro sound web. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.