ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cab for JBL 2241  (Read 8139 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Cab for JBL 2241
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:03:52 AM »

Anyone know of some plans for a nice, compact cab design for the JBL 2241?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Cab for JBL 2241
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »

How low the response needs to go is pretty much directly tied to the size of the cabinet.

So the smaller the cabinet-the higher the cutoff will be.

So the obvious quesions: 1: How compact is  is "compact" OR how low do you need it to go?

And then we get into the other issue of port size and amount of allowable "chuffing".  A larger port will have less chuffing-but the cabinet will have to be larger..

It is all a matter of tradeoffs.  Different people are willing to trade different things.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Richard Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf

I've made #'s 10 and 6 for e140 / 2225 15" drivers in the way back when

I'm guessing your looking for smaller than 10 cu ft.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »

It is all a matter of tradeoffs.  Different people are willing to trade different things.

I realize that, but I'm interested in seeing some ideas if anyone is willing to share.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »

I realize that, but I'm interested in seeing some ideas if anyone is willing to share.
A cabinet with triangular ports in the corners is pretty compact and the ports add bracing to the sides.  I was doing this back in the 90's (before anybody else that I was aware of).

I would start with having at least 1 or 2 dimensions that work for you. Htat could be based on stacking-portability-size of your car-truck-trailer etc.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »

I should explain why I ask the question.  I have acquired a pair of almost mint condition JBL SR4718's from a home studio.  The cabs are rather large and I was wondering if it would be worth while to built some more compact cabs for the drivers.  I got a new table saw and I think I'm looking for a project.  Any opinions about the 4718's?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:21:45 PM by Chuck Simon »

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »

The 2241 is a very forgiving driver that will work in a range of enclosure sizes but you lose some lowend extension with smaller cabinets. For examples dig up the pdfs for the SR4718x and the MPro418 and have a look.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »

The 2241 is a very forgiving driver that will work in a range of enclosure sizes but you lose some lowend extension with smaller cabinets. For examples dig up the pdfs for the SR4718x and the MPro418 and have a look.

Yeah, I have and you are correct.  I'm curious if there are some designs that are more successful.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »

Yeah, I have and you are correct.  I'm curious if there are some designs that are more successful.

For the most part there is no free lunch with speakers, it is possible to get more output than a single bass reflex 18 will produce but it requires a different driver in a more complex cabinet or a larger cabinet. Carrying on with that theme I recently built a new(to me) design called the Cubo found here.. http://www.freespeakerplans.com/plans  The design is conservative enough to work with a range of drivers and is reported to beat a reflex 18 in output without being significantly larger. The version I built was for a 15 since that's what I had available and compared to a reflex enclosure for the same driver it produces more output and impact with the same useable frequency response. Overall I'd have to say the design delivers what it claims and wasn't very difficult to build so maybe that is something you could consider.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:53:30 AM by Paul G. OBrien »

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:55 AM »

here's one I'm working on for the 2245, a bit older than the 2241, and different behavior. they are not out of prototype stage yet, when they are I'll be posting more info in this thread. Including full PDF plans and B/P with measured response.

This cabinet has eaten two drivers due to overexcursion though, so I wouldn't use it without fixing that problem first though.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,135696.0.html

Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.