ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Awful service from TASCAM  (Read 6021 times)

Zack Morris

Awful service from TASCAM
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:07:16 PM »

in a nut shell, we sold and installed a TASCAM dvd player into a small meeting room. A few months later, it stops reading DVDs. Apparently their labor warrantee is only 90 days so the client is real unhappy about having to pay to fix their new DVD player which had defective parts. A few months later it is having other issues. I call TASCAM and they don't give any tech support help for the issue (I found the solution in the manual BTW). Instead they tell me to send it back in...They tell me the client should have a backup. Its a small meeting room in a small community. ridiculous.

Has anyone else had issues with their service or products? I just think other people should know.

/RANT
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:12:11 AM by Zack Morris »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Awful service from TASCAM
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:29:14 PM »

in a nut shell, we sold and installed a TASCAM dvd player into a small meeting room. A few months later, it stops reading DVDs. Apparently their parts warrantee is only 90 days so the client is real unhappy about having to pay to fix their new DVD player which had defective parts. A few months later it is having other issues. I call TASCAM and they don't give any tech support help for the issue (I found the solution in the manual BTW). Instead they tell me to send it back in...They tell me the client should have a backup. Its a small meeting room in a small community. ridiculous.

Has anyone else had issues with their service or products? I just think other people should know.

/RANT

It's nice that the information was in the manual.  That's usually the first thing I get asked when I go to any tech support line?  "Did you look in the manual?"

That said, I think that DVD players are the most frequent items of complaint and failure in small installs.  Most of the commonly available products are not really install grade and I experienced pretty much the same thing with both putting them into installs and for my own use at home.  A few months and......ker-floooey!.  Now at least the Denon unit we have at home is repairable instead of disposable.  At a new price of around $500, it has been solid......for a single user: Me.  Multiple users.....I wouldn't be so sure.

If it has to work, it's not going to be cheap.  Pioneer makes some "industrial" units rated at around 50K hours between failures.  That's about as heavy-duty as it gets as far as I can tell.  Of course, these are on the high side of a grand.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Zack Morris

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »

It's nice that the information was in the manual.  That's usually the first thing I get asked when I go to any tech support line?  "Did you look in the manual?"

That said, I think that DVD players are the most frequent items of complaint and failure in small installs.  Most of the commonly available products are not really install grade and I experienced pretty much the same thing with both putting them into installs and for my own use at home.  A few months and......ker-floooey!.  Now at least the Denon unit we have at home is repairable instead of disposable.  At a new price of around $500, it has been solid......for a single user: Me.  Multiple users.....I wouldn't be so sure.

If it has to work, it's not going to be cheap.  Pioneer makes some "industrial" units rated at around 50K hours between failures.  That's about as heavy-duty as it gets as far as I can tell.  Of course, these are on the high side of a grand.

Good points. That makes me feel a little better.

It seems that cheap DVD players are all over and one from a somewhat pro brand would be better than a cheap wall-mart one. It would be nice if there were more options in the pro/install market. Does not seem like there are many rack mounted options that I would trust in one of my clients installs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »

Good points. That makes me feel a little better.

It seems that cheap DVD players are all over and one from a somewhat pro brand would be better than a cheap wall-mart one. It would be nice if there were more options in the pro/install market. Does not seem like there are many rack mounted options that I would trust in one of my clients installs.

What is the model that failed you?

Zack Morris

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:05:07 PM »

What is the model that failed you?

a DV-D01U

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:16:04 PM »

a DV-D01U

Yeah, that's "consumer grade" stuff.  And with the availability of streaming video from the various sources, I don't see DVD's lasting much longer than CD's as a format.  There are already fewer choices at the mid to high end.  But you're stuck with small installs having small budgets.  You used to be able to purchase a fairly robust machine for $500.  Now it'll be twice that....if you can find stuff still being made.

One other option is to get a cheap laptop and use it as a video playback device.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 04:44:16 AM »

Just to get a more complete understanding, are you an authorized Tascam dealer?

Tascam's warranty can be found at http://tascam.com/support/warranty/ and is 1 year on parts except heads and disk drives, which have a 90 day warranty.  The labor warranty is also 90 days.

Zack Morris

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:20:54 AM »

Just to get a more complete understanding, are you an authorized Tascam dealer?

Tascam's warranty can be found at http://tascam.com/support/warranty/ and is 1 year on parts except heads and disk drives, which have a 90 day warranty.  The labor warranty is also 90 days.

Oops, I edited my original post. I am familiar with their warranty and my company is a Tascam Dealer. However, I personally have not used many of there products in installs so I do not have much of a history with them. This DVD player was the first one I had ordered from them and it has had issues, maybe a lemon?

My client is very unhappy with it because of its fails and it is making me think twice before specing another Tascam product. 

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »

I had 2 Tascam CD01U Pro CD players fail, each within a few months of purchase. They both stopped reading CDs as well.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:44:01 AM »

a DV-D01U
I had 2 Tascam CD01U Pro CD players fail, each within a few months of purchase. They both stopped reading CDs as well.
Based on this and everything else I have heard it seems that the compact 1RU units have had the most problems, which is probably not that surprising.

Zack Morris

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »

Based on this and everything else I have heard it seems that the compact 1RU units have had the most problems, which is probably not that surprising.

Its really too bad because I like the idea of a 1u player. Hell, my discman lasted 15 years and it was smaller than a CD01U. Its too bad there are not more options on the market.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.