ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: airport express vs. airport extreme for LS9  (Read 30723 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: airport express vs. airport extreme for LS9
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »

Some good news. Since making the router changes suggested in the above link I have been running over an hour straight with not 1 single drop out. I am back to a static address set up too. I have the exact same addresses that I used before and the latency is marginally lower vs. the other ways I ran it. To recap on what was done:

1. I went from a short to a long preamble.

2. I turned off cts and wmm options.

3. I switched the beacon interval from 100 to 50.

4. Fragment threshold was changed from 2346 to 2306.

5. R.T.S was changed from 2347 to 2307.

6. I changed the DTIM from 3 to 1.

7. I made the router address 192.168.0.1

8. I made the gateway address the same as the router address.

It seems at the moment that router setup and parameters have a huge effect on IPAD stability. I had issues as well when running VNC, but I rarely run that app. It sounds to me like packet loss, or the preamble length may have been the big issues? I will start to back track and see where failure occurs. At the moment this range of settings works very well for both the IPAD and the laptops.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 02:42:39 AM »

7. I made the router address 192.168.0.1

8. I made the gateway address the same as the router address.
Hi Luke,

Glad it's working! I'd responded (I thought) that I have all my router settings at default but I don't see that reply in the thread - maybe I didn't hit post.

Regarding points 7 & 8, what were your router and gateway addresses previously when you were having trouble?

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Luke Geis

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 04:50:03 AM »

The router was 192.168.2.2 and the gateway was blank. I followed the suggested settings in the Yamaha guide and still no performance gains. It seesm so far that router settings play a big part. Not all IOS and IPAD's have the same effect. It seems earlier gen. IPAD's are not as effected by the app and older IOS versions also seem more stable. If you go to the SM facebook page most of the posts are about stability issues. It seems like an isolated problem to those that don't experience it, but it's a pretty big deal in reality. It's not as simple as correct addressing, it seems to go even deeper than that. The suggested fixes will work, but it seems that a full router configuration is really the answer?

Kent Thompson

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »

Yamaha isn't the only ones suffering from these Apple network changes. We also had to change the network settings in our router so that the Router address and the dns address were the same to get our airport to work with our iPads. We also had to change the proxy settings in the ipad to manual and put an "a" the server box and a "1" in the port box because the iPad kept looking for an internet connection and once it did not find the internet it shut down the connection. This was for an iLive system Yamaha may have a different solution.

David Parker

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 05:09:43 PM »

The router was 192.168.2.2 and the gateway was blank. I followed the suggested settings in the Yamaha guide and still no performance gains. It seesm so far that router settings play a big part. Not all IOS and IPAD's have the same effect. It seems earlier gen. IPAD's are not as effected by the app and older IOS versions also seem more stable. If you go to the SM facebook page most of the posts are about stability issues. It seems like an isolated problem to those that don't experience it, but it's a pretty big deal in reality. It's not as simple as correct addressing, it seems to go even deeper than that. The suggested fixes will work, but it seems that a full router configuration is really the answer?

a lot of folks have had good look with the Airport routers. Wonder if since the Airport is made by apple it comes with settings that the ipad likes?

Luke Geis

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »

Yamaha isn't the only ones suffering from these Apple network changes. We also had to change the network settings in our router so that the Router address and the dns address were the same to get our airport to work with our iPads. We also had to change the proxy settings in the ipad to manual and put an "a" the server box and a "1" in the port box because the iPad kept looking for an internet connection and once it did not find the internet it shut down the connection. This was for an iLive system Yamaha may have a different solution.

Reading further on the Proxy issues it seems it is an actual problem with the IPAD. There is a large group of people that seem to have issues with proxy settings. How did you come to find out that it was a proxy issue and how did you arrive at A and 1? I already have the DNS and gateway the same. I did that a while back to no avail. The only thing different at this point for me is the router settings I changed. I still haven't gone back through to see where the failure point is, but I will soon. I almost don't want to because things seem to be working good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

according to this: http://appletoolbox.com/2010/04/ipad-wi-fi-problems-comprehensive-list-of-fixes/

There is mention of changing the Fragment threshold and the RTS threshold. They say 2048 and 512 respectively, but the 2306-2307 has been working well for me. I have always had auto brightness off and the brightness all the way up and I also have every unneeded option off such as bluetooth. It does also mention in another similar post to simply put the http proxy setting to manual and leave it alone. No need to change stuff. I have my proxy currently set as yours for testing and I have not seen issues yet. I wasn't before either though since my last update.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:13:38 PM by Luke Geis »

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »

according to this: http://appletoolbox.com/2010/04/ipad-wi-fi-problems-comprehensive-list-of-fixes/

Based on the URL, I suspect that article is 2-3 years old, which in the software world is something like 100 years.  Lots of changes in firmware and software since then.

A note on the proxy settings, I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone is actually running a proxy server in their live sound rig, and if so, I' am very curious why you are running a proxy server and how you are using it.

It's helpful to know what the settings actually do. 

The Apple Toolbox article looks like someone surfed a bunch of web site and wrote down tips from a bunch of people with unknown qualifications.  Networking really isn't voodoo.
Mark McFarlane

Luke Geis

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 11:53:29 PM »

I wouldn't guess there to be a proxy either. But considering that there is either those with no problem and those with a definite problem, anything is possible. Networking isn't voodoo, or at least it should be as easy as it seems, but when silly things like changing router setting makes, or breaks the whole deal, it's up in the air. Pretty much why I'm hoping others will chime in and release router settings and what they did exactly. It's either left, or right field at the moment. I'm having good luck right now, but a month ago I couldn't use the app for more than two minutes. I have tried everything in the book and up until DHCP server and changing router settings I have had no luck. Wrong addressing my ass, something is up........ This isn't my first rodeo, but when things are beyond the current knowledge base, you resort to what works. Either apple, or Yamaha needs to figure something out to truly help. So far Yamaha's DHCP server advise gets the job done. The router adjustments I have made seem to be holding up and as I test more I will report back. I get the feeling it's beacon interval and packet size that are really the issue. I would still like to see what most peoples preamble length is to see if there is a clue there? Any info at this point can really help nail it down. The problem exists, it's nailing down the actual cause that seems to elude us all. The solution ( workarounds ) seem to work,but it would be nice to run the system as intended......

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 08:22:29 AM »

I have tried everything in the book and up until DHCP server and changing router settings I have had no luck. Wrong addressing my ass, something is up........ This isn't my first rodeo, but when things are beyond the current knowledge base, you resort to what works.
Let's try this one last time.  A DHCP server simply assigns IP Addressing from a pre-defined pool.  It provides each device with the address, subnet mask, and default gateway information.  The only other thing that it does is manage the leases on that information.  If you think that this was the fix, then your addressing was wrong.  If, however, you implemented other router changes at the same time, then your answer lies somewhere in the router changes that you made.  In that case, DHCP isn't the cure, the router changes are.  Network communications aren't voodoo - they're science.

I'd love to spend some time with your set-up and a packet sniffer/network analyser.  Maybe then, we could actually get to the bottom of this.  I guarantee that the DHCP server isn't fixing anything but addressing.  This is like saying, "I changed the power cord and the comb filtering problem went away."  Both of those statements may be true, but one did not affect the other.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Luke Geis

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »

So I spent some more time testing today. I went through feature for feature and think I have it nailed down as to what may be the exact issue with IPAD stability. The below all relate to router settings.

The fragment threshold size doesn't seem to matter. Stock setting or anywhere near it is fine.

The RTS threshold is the same. Stock or close to it is fine.

The beacon interval doesn't seem to matter I left mine at 50 to help retain the connection. However 100 works too.

The DTIM setting doesn't matter, but it should be noted that a higher level may increase battery life on the IPAD when not being used, but connected to that network. I placed mine at 5 for such reasons, in trying to get an entire day out of the IPAD which would usually need to be connected to power at some point. Worth a shot anyway.......

The CTS was turned off as it has no use for what we are doing and it can reduce router performance. It is meant for high traffic networks and in our case it shouldn't be an issue.

WMM was turned off. There seems to be no change in performance, but it has been noted that it may improve performance on network devises like IPADS. In either case it's not needed for what the use of the desk is for.

I disabled the WPS ( wi-fi protection setup ) as it is again not needed for our application.

The preamble length didn't seem to matter, however I was in close proximity to the desk and I have very little traffic in my area. The short preamble should have better performance, but may lose stability in " noisy " networks or when at the edge of range. Again it shouldn't be a problem with us, but long preamble works better for stability and may be just as fast as short preamble settings in close proximity. I set mine for short in hopes of reducing latency. It's a matter of taste. Something to play with if you are having stability issues. The preamble length is the only other thing that could really increase stability. The long preamble should work better in long range situations where you are further from the desk.

What did make a difference and lead to nearly instant failure was router address and gateway settings. The stock address for the router was outside of the network range. Mine also did not have a gateway address placed in that field. When placed back in the stock settings with a blank gateway address, I had loss of connection quickly, even after resetting the IPAD for the new settings. I found that you need to place the routers management address in the same range as the rest of the network. You should also place the appropriate gateway address in the routers gateway address field. I made it the same as the gateway address in the desk. As soon as this was adjusted and reset in the IPAD connection was again stable.

Under advisement I moved my network to a different range. I went to a new third octet range and performance is the same. Shouldn't matter really either way. So far after an hour connected to the desk the IPAD has been stable and I have been trying different ways to make the IPAD lose connection to no avail. It appears solid and I can say that it is router settings that play the part. My guess is some routers stock have just what the IPAD wants and others do not?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:55:52 PM by Luke Geis »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.