ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: O2R and using the card slots?  (Read 15997 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
O2R and using the card slots?
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:05:47 AM »

Hello everyone.
I'm pretty new to the digital world. I've using my O2R for a few months and would like to know how to get the must out of it, specifically the claimed 40-inputs.
I have a pretty big event coming up and would like to know how I go a out using the "cards" to increase my inputs as I will need around 30.

Hoping to see if this is possible and hopefully somewhat cost effective.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's an older Yamaha O2R with the wood panels on the side so I don't believe it's the V2.

Thanks guys.
-Sam
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: O2R and using the card slots?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:22:15 AM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Thanks
Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:51:46 AM »

Hello everyone.
I'm pretty new to the digital world. I've using my O2R for a few months and would like to know how to get the must out of it, specifically the claimed 40-inputs.
I have a pretty big event coming up and would like to know how I go a out using the "cards" to increase my inputs as I will need around 30.

Hoping to see if this is possible and hopefully somewhat cost effective.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's an older Yamaha O2R with the wood panels on the side so I don't believe it's the V2.

Thanks guys.
-Sam

A complete showing of Yamaha & third party manufacturer Mini-YGDAI cards can be found here:  http://yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/product_list.php?catID=10110

Note that Yamaha's analog input cards are line level.  A variety of digital formats are supported with input cards.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:52:38 AM »

Hi,
If my memory is correct, and assuming you have the original 02R not the 02R96, [V2 is a firmware thing], you certainly can get to 40 analog inputs, but I don't think you can get more than eight real mic preamps with phantom power without using outboard preamps. You'd also need cards in the slots to bring in more than 24 analog inputs. I don't think I'd care to try mixing 30 channels on one, having done it years ago with two 02Rs cascaded together. Too many little workarounds.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:12:23 AM »

Hi,
Agin, if it is the original 02R it can't use the Mini, it uses the predecessor, the YGDAI card. [Hope I've got that right]
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:40:04 AM »

Hi,
Agin, if it is the original 02R it can't use the Mini, it uses the predecessor, the YGDAI card. [Hope I've got that right]

You are correct, the O3D and the 02R can only use YGDAI-cards, and one doesn't see those cards very often.  Just about all Yamaha cards floating around now are mini-YGDAI.

Interestingly, there is a German company that makes (used to make???) all kinds of neat stuff for the 02R, including an YGDAI->mini-YGDAI card adaptor, and a nifty 8-channel preamp box with 8 TRS jacks sticking out the back so that it can be plugged in on top of the mixer :O

I have a lot of time on 03D, but limited time on the 02R.  The difference, however is just about like the difference between the 01v96 and the 02R96, so I can make an educated guess:

Get YGDAI-cards for the slots.  Get extra mic preamps that output whatever format the YGDAI cards are willing to accept.

Fiddle around in the patch menu until you figure out how to route the "slot channel inputs" to applicable fader inputs (usually, the "bottom fader layer" of the desk).

Then, read the manual to see if the "second/bottom layer" of channels have limitations in comparison to the "top layer".
On the 01v (silverface) there are limitations, on the 03D the channels are the same, but you can't put "card input channels" on the "top layer", that layer is always reserved for the physical inputs on the top of the desk.

Doug.Jane

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »

I have used the 02R with 4 ADAT cards in the slots for some time, very reliable. However mine was a very early unit, and originally would generate small clicks on the mix out, which was fixed by changing one of the DSP's.
One way to go would be to get preamps with ADAT outputs, and ADAT cards. Several people make 8 channel converters with mike pre's and ADAT outs.
It is worth getting version 2 software for your 02R, several refinements.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 01:17:05 AM »

I have used the 02R with 4 ADAT cards in the slots for some time, very reliable. However mine was a very early unit, and originally would generate small clicks on the mix out, which was fixed by changing one of the DSP's.
One way to go would be to get preamps with ADAT outputs, and ADAT cards. Several people make 8 channel converters with mike pre's and ADAT outs.
It is worth getting version 2 software for your 02R, several refinements.

Gentleman,
Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it. The board came with 2 cards installed, I'll look tomorrow as to which ones they are and let you know but I do believe they are both AES/EBU interface cards. I'm guessing I'm able to use these cards with a ca le that connects to these cards and has  8 XLR inputs that I can connect my snake to??...

I could potentially get away with running with 24ch's but would love to use my 24x8 snake in which it already has XLR connectors and would hate to purchase another snake to connect channels 9-24 from XLR to 1/4".
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:32:07 AM »

Yamaha AD8HA speaks AES/EBU

Gentleman,
Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it. The board came with 2 cards installed, I'll look tomorrow as to which ones they are and let you know but I do believe they are both AES/EBU interface cards. I'm guessing I'm able to use these cards with a ca le that connects to these cards and has  8 XLR inputs that I can connect my snake to??...

I could potentially get away with running with 24ch's but would love to use my 24x8 snake in which it already has XLR connectors and would hate to purchase another snake to connect channels 9-24 from XLR to 1/4".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »

Gentleman,

AES/EBU inputs are digital audio inputs.  You need a preamp/AD -unit that changes analog mic level signals to line level signals that in turn are converted to AES/EBU digital audio signals.

Usually, these preamp/converter-units are 8 channel units.  Tim McC mentioned one model.

It would probably be a lot cheaper for you if your cards were ADAT in, as, generally, preamps/converters are a lot cheaper if they have ADAT outputs.

ANother option is to have analog line level input cards in the mixer and get a purely preamp-oufitted preamp.unit that has no AD-converters.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.