ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: apb dynasonics prorack vs midas venice f vs allen and heath r16  (Read 23822 times)

Jamie Holdren

Re: apb dynasonics prorack vs midas venice f vs allen and heath r16
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »

Thanks, looks to me like you can still get drives for it on ebay and i have the mac with pro tools to transfer to as well so i could erase and reuse drives correct? I know i still need a good collection of drives though
Well waisting my time talking instead of buying and just noticed the hdxr with Jim Williams upgrade sold already so i guess some people are using them LOL! There are still a few with out the mod i can get...Are they a steep downgrade from the modded ones? Is it worth it to pay Jim $750? Thanks again for every ones input

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »

Thanks, looks to me like you can still get drives for it on ebay and i have the mac with pro tools to transfer to as well so i could erase and reuse drives correct? I know i still need a good collection of drives though
'

You might want to go to a user forum such as:

http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=7

This will get you the info you'll need to get a head start.  Look particularly for the firewire transfer info.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Penkala

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »

Thanks for your opinion. If Money isnt really an issue and best possible sound is would you still go with the Venice? I am under the impression that the Hdrx with the mods are just as good as any converters in its price range and a 16 snake wouldnt be expensive to patch it in.  Every thing all in one rack seems simple to me. And if i only use 12 channel i can do 96khz. I know it is going backwards as far as technology but sound is all i care about. Thanks again

Jamie,
          FWIW; For my application the live mix is the priority. Recording is of secondary importance to me. The Venice F32 is perfect for what I do. These mixers were selling for $6000 when released. But due to the newer digital offerings in the marketplace they didn't sell as many as expected. Therefore, you can get them very cheap with a 3 year warranty. My recordings will never get airplay, but will be of good quality.
          I know you say that cost isn't a concern. However, there is no end to the amount that you can spend chasing perfect sound through the acquisition of gear.
           I would go over to gearslutz.com and lookup the thread on the VeniceF. Search " venicef ". Being that it is primarily a recording forum, there are plenty of knowledgeable recording engineers there that are familiar with the Alesis mod and  APB consoles. Good Luck!

JP

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »

Jamie,
          FWIW; For my application the live mix is the priority. Recording is of secondary importance to me. The Venice F32 is perfect for what I do. These mixers were selling for $6000 when released. But due to the newer digital offerings in the marketplace they didn't sell as many as expected. Therefore, you can get them very cheap with a 3 year warranty. My recordings will never get airplay, but will be of good quality.
          I know you say that cost isn't a concern. However, there is no end to the amount that you can spend chasing perfect sound through the acquisition of gear.
           I would go over to gearslutz.com and lookup the thread on the VeniceF. Search " venicef ". Being that it is primarily a recording forum, there are plenty of knowledgeable recording engineers there that are familiar with the Alesis mod and  APB consoles. Good Luck!

JP

I don't have any experience with the Venice F,  but my original Venice 320 goes out regularly on rentals specifically for recording.  I also use it for live broadcast...... when I have the space to set up a full console with outboard.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »

Newegg.com had an ATA drive blow out on Black Friday, and they still show up "Shell Shockers" every few weeks.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »

Jamie,

JP
Thanks John, I didn't mean an infinite amount of money, i just meant that if it would cost me a little more to do the apb/alesis combo vs venice F all in one package that i was willing to spend an extra $!000-$2000. Its obvious to me at this point that with all the research ive done and the info you guys have gave me here that im on the right track and those are probably two of the best consoles . I realize there is no one singe "best"

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 07:13:48 PM »

'

You might want to go to a user forum such as:

http://tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/hd24/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=7

This will get you the info you'll need to get a head start.  Look particularly for the firewire transfer info.
Thanks for the link!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 10:24:40 PM »

Thanks for the link!

Alesis now sells a SATA hard drive caddy for the HD24.  Works great, so no problem finding hard drives.  There are folks on the user group listed that have also used SSD drives and some different IDE to SATA adapters with good success.

The HD24 is a good, solid recorder.  I'm still using two of them every Sunday at our church.  Thinking about replacing them since we now have X32s to use to record direct to computer, but there is still something very reassuring about hardware built to do a specific thing instead of a generic device (computer) doing one task of many it can do if you know what I mean.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:38 PM »

there is still something very reassuring about hardware built to do a specific thing instead of a generic device (computer) doing one task of many it can do if you know what I mean.

Couldn't agree more.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »

Well waisting my time talking instead of buying and just noticed the hdxr with Jim Williams upgrade sold already so i guess some people are using them LOL! There are still a few with out the mod i can get...Are they a steep downgrade from the modded ones? Is it worth it to pay Jim $750? Thanks again for every ones input

FWIW, I use a vanilla HD24 and it works fine. For live work I don't really see the need for the XR upgrade or the JW mods.  I do have 'expensive' converters in my studio but there are so many other issues to deal with in live recording I wouldn't worry much about the quality of the stock HD24 converters.

You can check out some of my recent recordings in the link in my signature. Look at the ones marked (Live), I suggest Amelia (Boston Boys) and Bernie's Tune (Darius Brubeck) to give a flavor of what the HD24 is capable of, limited of course by my skills in recording and mixing.  Unless you are recording well rehearsed professional acts the limiting factor is going to be the performance, then mics and placement, then the mix,... converters are way down the food chain of importance.  Spend the extra money on mics or great DIs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:47:48 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.