ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: apb dynasonics prorack vs midas venice f vs allen and heath r16  (Read 23994 times)

Jamie Holdren

Re: apb dynasonics prorack vs midas venice f vs allen and heath r16
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Sorry about that, i changed it as soon as i realized

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »

The APB and Midas will get a lot of votes. I would go with the APB over the Midas Venice series. If you have that kind of spending cash the APB will be great!
Thanks for your input. Thats basically the same conclusion i came to

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »

What do you plan to use the mixer for, recording or live sound? The R16 is designed for recording, the other 2 for live sound.
I want to use it for both. Thats why i finally decided on the apb/Alesis setup. I have a macbook pro and pro tools 8 with the 8 channel fast track i bought from my dad but havent used yet(still using my old fostex vf16) I thought that to keep things simple and safe i could record 16 direct outs(apb) to the Alesis with the Jim Williams mod live. And later i could hopefully put together a lunchbox that i could use on the other 8 open channels for in the studio. And if things got to crazy some day i could just get another prorack and link them together? Thanks

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »

I own a Prorack and although biased I can't think of another analog small format mixer that's even in the same league as the APB. Variable low pass on every channel (20), incredible channel strip EQ, pad on every channel, and on and on. Great feature set and very flexible routing options. I bought mine from Pro Sound Service in Braintree, MA. Nobody could touch their pricing. Ask for Charlie Tappa, the owner, and he'll work you a deal.
Thanks Bob, I think that you were the post that helped me to make up my mind. Am i crazy going backwards so to speak for thinking that the Alesis Hd24rx with the Jim Williams mod would be a cool old school set up that would compete easily with the Allen or the Venice to mac setup? I can still mix with pro tools if i want. Right? Thanks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 03:49:39 PM »

Thanks Bob, I think that you were the post that helped me to make up my mind. Am i crazy going backwards so to speak for thinking that the Alesis Hd24rx with the Jim Williams mod would be a cool old school set up that would compete easily with the Allen or the Venice to mac setup? I can still mix with pro tools if i want. Right? Thanks

Jamie....

No need to worry about the HD24 with the upgraded A/D/D/A's.  I know a good number of people doing remote multi-tracking with them.  As long as you can get yourself a good number of the proper hard drives, you'll be just fine.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

I own the venice f but and it is a great mixer, but for shear sound quality alone the apb is the way to go
Thanks Sam, that confirms what i have already heard

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:01 PM »

I own the APB ProRack and a Midas Venice F32. Midas Venice F's can be found absurdly cheap on eBay right now. I got mine for $2200 new in the box, delivered. The F24's and F16's are even less. You could probably get an F24 and a new laptop for the cost of the APB/Alesis combo. I do prefer the sound of the APB but if you are doing any live recording, I would go with the Venice F.

JP
Thanks for your opinion. If Money isnt really an issue and best possible sound is would you still go with the Venice? I am under the impression that the Hdrx with the mods are just as good as any converters in its price range and a 16 snake wouldnt be expensive to patch it in.  Every thing all in one rack seems simple to me. And if i only use 12 channel i can do 96khz. I know it is going backwards as far as technology but sound is all i care about. Thanks again

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 04:19:22 PM »

I would agree the FW interface eliminates a whole bunch of cabling and the associated risk of failure over an analog hookup. My Mackie Onyx/X32 FW to MacBook w/ Reaper takes about a minute to get ready to record and works flawlessly.
Thanks for the input. I am curious as to what kind of failures your talking about. It seems to me direct outs of apb to hdrx is fool proof. No latency issues, no computer crashes or high cpu usage. Then i can still transfer to pro tools for editing. I know it probably seems strange to some but i thought it would be a advantage for live recording.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »

Thanks for the input. I am curious as to what kind of failures your talking about. It seems to me direct outs of apb to hdrx is fool proof. No latency issues, no computer crashes or high cpu usage. Then i can still transfer to pro tools for editing. I know it probably seems strange to some but i thought it would be a advantage for live recording.

You're not incorrect.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jamie Holdren

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »

Jamie....

No need to worry about the HD24 with the upgraded A/D/D/A's.  I know a good number of people doing remote multi-tracking with them.  As long as you can get yourself a good number of the proper hard drives, you'll be just fine.
Thanks, looks to me like you can still get drives for it on ebay and i have the mac with pro tools to transfer to as well so i could erase and reuse drives correct? I know i still need a good collection of drives though

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.