Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

loaded horn systems

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Tom Young on February 09, 2013, 07:44:16 AM ---I also think you're referring to Community Leviathans with mouth extensions. Except the Leviathan was dual 15".

On a side note, Roger North Drums (RND) began to manufacture HF horns in the 1980's which were used by Northwest Sound, among others.

FWIW

--- End quote ---
I remember some Northwest cabinets that had a pair of Gauss 15" in a straight horn-with a 2" Gauss HF on top and for the "sizzle" they had 6 piezo tweeters in a "line array" down the middle of the LF horn.

duane massey:
We were Community fans in the 70's. Had 6-8 Levis, 4 w/extensions, 4 M4's w/ large format horns + extensions, and 6-8 matching 2
horns. All TAD loaded, sounded incredibly clear (for that time period). Worst part was grinding the edge of the TAD 1601's to fit into the pods. Later added some SB80's w/ TAD 1201's. Sold off most of the system several years later when we quit doing live shows, but I still have a pair of M4's w/ large horns in my warehouse.

Nick Simon:
That was what I was looking for... not many pics available for them, but I did find a picture on Community's website in the history.  There's a pic of two of them in the middle of the page..

Thanks, guys..  I just remember having to help lug those behemoths into the club...

Nick Simon:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on February 09, 2013, 08:20:37 AM ---I remember some Northwest cabinets that had a pair of Gauss 15" in a straight horn-with a 2" Gauss HF on top and for the "sizzle" they had 6 piezo tweeters in a "line array" down the middle of the LF horn.

--- End quote ---

A band I worked with in my late teens had a pair of 15" Gauss "Scoops"....

Lee Brenkman:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on February 08, 2013, 09:09:26 PM ---I think John Meyer made some cabinets that looked like what you describe.

There were a number of other small manufacturers making their own horns.

--- End quote ---

The Meyer Glyph horns weren't ever "toured" or used by bar bands.  They were installed in a venue in San Rafael, California called Pepperland.

They were pretty good sounding by the standards of the day and led to John's hiring by McCune Sound in San Francisco to design a one box system to replace their Altec Voice of the Theater "horn on top of cabinets" rigs.  The JM3 was revolutionary with it's three way all in one box configuration and dedicated processor and amp rack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version