ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Djs and Headphones  (Read 5054 times)

Dimitris Pi

Djs and Headphones
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »

Hi there! Any opinions on why djs prefer headphones over iems???

I am a dj my self the last 5 years and i would say that if you give me headphones and iems with exact the same techs and price i choose headphones just because i can put them in and out very easy and fast when i beatmatch/mix.

p.s. i'm talking about djs who use their ears and not theis eyes to mix

Justin Reed

Re: Djs and Headphones
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

I think you answered it, active djs don't mix with their headphones continuously engaged or engadged 100% of the time.

dj of 18 years here...i am continuously adjusting my cue situation by shifting my headphones while enjoying isolation from my MDR 7506 headphones when i need to listen more intently to the cue mix.

the extreme of this is the lollipop or stick style single headphone that some djs use...they literally cue with it and then set it down - probably disengaged from it 95% of the mix.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »

I am a dj my self the last 5 years and i would say that if you give me headphones and iems with exact the same techs and price i choose headphones just because i can put them in and out very easy and fast when i beatmatch/mix.

considering your hands are nowhere near your head for any other aspect of mixing, have you tried timing how long it takes to turn the headphone volume down?

I used to dj, and know the gestures you are talking about, but due to the extreme volume levels necessary for the monitors to be heard over hte room and then the headphones over hte monitors, I am quite intrigued if in-ears could save djs hearing and perhaps then a few speakers, too.

Chris Lave

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »

Given the choice with same specs, I would choose traditional headphones cause the fit is solid.  I tend to push my muffs up, resting on my head. I'm more of a "Party Rock DJ", so my blends can be long at times and during the gig I somtimes like silience in my cue, I use  Sony MDR-V700DJ. Headphones are much more comfortable for consecutive hours (2 - 4 hour sets).  I mix by ear since in the 80s we didn't have much choice.

However, I do feel for Celeb DJs and Turntablist IEMs are a "cleaner" look for the audience and can be removed from the ear rather quickly to showcase their showmanship. Usually those guys have high-end IEMs (dual or quad drivers) like professional vocalist/instrumentalist to help with frequency response and noise cancellation. Also, the venues they perform are likely to have robust monitors/wedges as well.   

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:12:47 PM by Chris Lave »

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »

I have been using the same Model for the past 13 years with much success. I broke the first set 5 years ago when I accidentally sat on it. It is a one Cup Headphone/Microphone Combo made by Stanton. DJ Pro 500 MC MKII

I can keep it on my head indefinitely as it is one cup with one ear free.

Terreyl Kirton

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »

I use Pioneer DJ HDJ-2000 and inears depending on the gig. once you hit a stage with blazing "texas-headphone" style monitors that are super loud even if you have the booth volume on "1" the in ears are a god send.
On smaller shows or just out of comfort or "look" i'll use the over the ear pioneers.

I've have a pair of Ultrasones that i used for years until they finally crapped out

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.