ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use 48 volt phantom power from mixer for another mike?  (Read 5273 times)

Harlan Garbe

Can I use 48 volt phantom power from mixer for another mike?
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »

I want to use an RDL STM-3 mike preamp connected to a condensor mike requiring 48 volts phantom power. I need the extra gain of this preamp for recording this mike only so don't want to run it through the mixer board (Soundcraft EPM12).
Using and XLR connector in an unused channel, can I derive the required 48 volts for the STM-3 to operate the mike connected to it without harm to the mixer?  If so, what pins would I use and which are the positive and negative sides of the connection? Trying to minimize number of devices and keep from having to purchase a seperate phantom supply.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Can I use 48 volt phantom power from mixer for another mike?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »

I want to use an RDL STM-3 mike preamp connected to a condensor mike requiring 48 volts phantom power. I need the extra gain of this preamp for recording this mike only so don't want to run it through the mixer board (Soundcraft EPM12).
Using and XLR connector in an unused channel, can I derive the required 48 volts for the STM-3 to operate the mike connected to it without harm to the mixer?  If so, what pins would I use and which are the positive and negative sides of the connection? Trying to minimize number of devices and keep from having to purchase a seperate phantom supply.

Buy yourself a power supply. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:21:23 AM »

I have done something similar with an XLR  Y cable but ran through a transformer before going into the next device.
This isolates the phantom power from the input.
Can't say for sure if your pre amp would be affected by the 48v.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Harlan Garbe

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:36:20 AM »

Well the RDL STM-3 has screw terminals provided for inserting the 48 volt phantom supply so that should work fine. It operates on a 24 volt wall wart itself which can be bridged to the phantom supply screws but that isn't sufficient for the mike so have to bring in 48 volts.

Not sure how you mean using a transformer since the 48 volts is DC so how are you able to "transfer" it via a transformer?

Anyway it is not a concern now as I've ordered
 the 48 volt supply. Mean thing is they all are terminated in XLR in and out where this RDL device needs "bare leads" to attach to the screw terminals. So will have to use the bulkier XLR connector and bare leads on the other end....... or bring out a seperate wire from the supply to tie into the RDL. Guess I will figure it out. Trying to keep all as compact as possible since the rack gets full of various add ons that aren't rack mounted so hanging stuff here and there with more wires between stuff.
Thanks for the input.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:08:20 PM »

Not sure how you mean using a transformer since the 48 volts is DC so how are you able to "transfer" it via a transformer?
Harlan,

I think that Keith meant to use the transformer to keep the +48V from backfeeding to the input of the upstream device (mixer, etc.).  For example: say you're using an XLR wye cable with one XLR female connector and two XLR male connectors.  The transformer would go between the upstream device (mixer, etc.) and one XLR male connector, the other XLR male connector could be stripped to bare wires for use with the RDL unit, and the XLR female connector would feed the mic itself.

Sound about right?  Think of it as a "phantom power insert cable".
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Harlan Garbe

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Jordan. Yes sounds good and Keith thanks or the suggestion. I did purchase a Rolls unit and it should work out well.  Thanks again guys.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.