ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help!!  (Read 14419 times)

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
Re: Need Help!!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »

And I'm sure I've forgotten something........

You need pay the talent and feed them Grey Goose, and with any luck a little bit of it is left over as well (i.e. profit!).

You also need to contend with the fact that you might sell less than 500 tickets.  Long ago I used to invest in and promote shows at a 2000 person venue in Montreal, the profits can be solid but the losses can also be staggering!

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »

You need pay the talent ...

That alone can easily cost $1k-$2k with travel and accommodation. Somehow we make it work. The OP from his web page looks like he has more than a couple shows under his belt so I'm sure he's aware of the risks involved, yet he still wants to invest $10k in gear, he must be doing something right. I'm not sure how much they drink in Iowa but in Alberta 500 people will ring out $18k in liqour sales, a % of which can cover most of the expenses. In the end you win some and lose some, its all part of the game.

However the OP never came here looking for promoting advise, he came here looking for advise on gear. We all started our audio journey somewhere and we should be encouraging the guy even if the sticker shock is a bit higher than he originally had in mind. Some solid reccomendations on some quality used gear out there might get him closer to his goals.

BlakeAnderson

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »

That alone can easily cost $1k-$2k with travel and accommodation. Somehow we make it work. The OP from his web page looks like he has more than a couple shows under his belt so I'm sure he's aware of the risks involved, yet he still wants to invest $10k in gear, he must be doing something right. I'm not sure how much they drink in Iowa but in Alberta 500 people will ring out $18k in liqour sales, a % of which can cover most of the expenses. In the end you win some and lose some, its all part of the game.

However the OP never came here looking for promoting advise, he came here looking for advise on gear. We all started our audio journey somewhere and we should be encouraging the guy even if the sticker shock is a bit higher than he originally had in mind. Some solid reccomendations on some quality used gear out there might get him closer to his goals.

Len,

I appreciate it. I'm glad you see what I seek. Marlow your new post adds value and I appreciate it. I have done a few shows now and I know all of the risks involved. I stated we have on average 500 people. I am certainly glad I didnt come here when I first started out. I understand you want to point out all of the things involved but for all the future replies you'll make to others. Don't try to scare off people. Honestly. I mean if I came here before I started I might of never started it. I do appreciate everyone that has added value and made some response that was applicable to my request. I need to know what kind of equipment I can get for a price close to that. Brand etc. Also, I have 6k for sound. Anything helpful that would help point me in the direction I would appreciate it. I've gotten a few reference to this maker and would like everyones opinion. http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

Thanks

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Need Help!!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »

Len,

I appreciate it. I'm glad you see what I seek. Marlow your new post adds value and I appreciate it. I have done a few shows now and I know all of the risks involved. I stated we have on average 500 people. I am certainly glad I didnt come here when I first started out. I understand you want to point out all of the things involved but for all the future replies you'll make to others. Don't try to scare off people. Honestly. I mean if I came here before I started I might of never started it. I do appreciate everyone that has added value and made some response that was applicable to my request. I need to know what kind of equipment I can get for a price close to that. Brand etc. Also, I have 6k for sound. Anything helpful that would help point me in the direction I would appreciate it. I've gotten a few reference to this maker and would like everyones opinion. http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

Thanks

Here is a reality check.

Using the bfm boxes is usually a quick way to go from hundreds of patrons to tens of patrons.

While your intent may be sound and you may have some good events under your belt, your initial budget is so far off mark that you got the full range of replies

I would suggest a little market research. What equipment do other clubs in your area use for the same size crowds?

Once you can post more specific questions about specific gear, then you will get more specific answers.

I will give you a starting point. A club I work on fairly regularly has 4 jbl VP boxes for mains, 4 more subs and 5 smaller for fills. Just for what the crowd hears. The rooms capacity is about 300.
Jay Barracato

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »

Len,

Thanks

Another vote against bfm boxes.  They might make a decent home stereo, but for what you're looking to do they are almost a total waste.

I believe you should really do some hard research in your area to find the best deal on renting an appropriate system.  The benefits are that in doing this you will educate yourself on what really works for you with out buying something that won't do the job and that you won't have to be responsible for storage, maintenance, repairs, etc.

Build the cost of gear hire into your business model.  Make the business pay for the cost of doing business.  At this stage of the game (learning), you'll be $$$ ahead in not learning from your mistakes.  Buying the wrong thing is just like throwing your money down the toilet.  Renting the wrong thing......not so much.  You won't be stuck with unsalable (and possibly damaged) gear if you rent/hire.

If you really want to own your own stuff and have the RIGHT stuff, you're going to have to spend significantly more than you're thinking of at this point. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »

Hi Blake-

I have a couple of pontifications (I hear there's a job opening that way, too)...

Just because you don't like some of the advice doesn't mean the advice is wrong, mean spirited or a bashing.  Far from it.

Buy once, cry once:  the wrong product at the right price is still the wrong product.

Now I'll take off the pointy hat...

I've been in the audio field for over 35 years (actually goes back to grade school, but that's another post) and the products have gotten better and better, the ease of implementing technology continues to progress and the training and knowledge availability surpasses anything seen before.  What hasn't changed much is the Cost of Entry at any particular "level", but we get more/better/smaller/lighter for our money.

You need to decide what level of guest experience you want to deliver at your events and then take an honest look at the production necessary to deliver that experience.

For those playing along, take a good look at Blake's diagram.  He's only covering about 7000sf in a 9800sf gallery.  Still a big space, but less than I first presumed when I glanced at the diagram.

Finally, about BFM.  Don't do it unless you have a desire to pursue a woodworking hobby.  Your money and time will be better spent on the right commercial products for your commercial endeavor.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Gow

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »

I think you could do a decent job of this with 4 each of..

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=2708
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/8035/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/LS2100_2400-Watt_21-Inch_Powered_Sub.htm

Bit that's still 3 times your current budget.

It would cost $280 to rent all these for a Saturday from Long & McQuade. As mentioned, besides pride of ownership, renting makes a lot of sense.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:04:29 AM by Rob Gow »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »

I'd expect a more friendly response from any community. I do appreciate you Len with the email and atleast Paul gave some value in his response. Either respond with some value added or dont respond. Thanks.
I am certainly glad I didnt come here when I first started out. I understand you want to point out all of the things involved but for all the future replies you'll make to others. Don't try to scare off people.
You came here asking for input, do you think telling others with more experience how they should or should not respond is going to help you?  Some responding may speak from direct experience while others may have had to compete with companies that tried it and have seen how it affected not just that company but the market in general.  You're talking about doing this as a business and potentially one competing with or affecting some of the people you're asking for help, so you be ready to face a harsh dose of reality.

Along those lines, if you want to develop wedding and corporate business you may want to consider changing your website.  You may believe photos and videos of someone dancing barefoot while standing on the railing of a raised platform shows how much fun people have at your events but a wedding or event planner, venue manager, etc. may see that as an accident and lawsuit waiting to happen.  And if someone ever did get hurt that way those could really come back to haunt you.

On a more directly relevant aspect, you say you want to expand into "weddings, corporate events, and other events as well" and those can mean bands, AV presentations, higher finish spaces, etc.  That in turn means live sound mixers, multiple microphones, wireless mics, stage monitors, projectors, multiple system configurations, tech riders and so on.  It also means having people who can properly setup and operate those systems in those situations.  Have you considered that in your budget number?

I need to know what kind of equipment I can get for a price close to that. Brand etc. Also, I have 6k for sound.
Some questions you hopefully have already asked yourself:

How did you develop the budget?  Did you identify the desired experience for your potential clients, determine what would be required to delver that experience and then assess how much that would cost?  Did you perform any cost/benefit analysis?  Or did you reach behind and pull a number out of a dark orifice?

What is the situation?  By your own admission you do not understand the technical side, so who is going to be responsible for configuring, setting up and maintaining the gear?  What you have used in the past, what do you currently own and what does the $5k-$6k budget have to cover.  Might tech riders be relevant now or as you expand and how may that affect equipment choices?  Are there any requirements related to storage and transportation of the gear?

Your focusing on a seemingly random budget number and not providing much other relevant information is probably what is driving many of the responses.

Anything helpful that would help point me in the direction I would appreciate it. I've gotten a few reference to this maker and would like everyones opinion. http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/
Bill is not a "maker", he offers some speaker designs you can purchase to then build or have built.  Even if you were happy with them, this is also where factors such as tech riders or name brand recognition could be relevant for your potential clients.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.