ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help!!  (Read 14418 times)

BlakeAnderson

Need Help!!
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »

Hello,

So were a group of college students that own a company called Static Entertainment LLC. We currently operate in Sioux City, Iowa with plans to branch throughout Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Currently our companies basic operation is we throw large "night club events"  18+ one night every 3 to 4 months. We have explored the idea of throwing underage events in between our 18+ events as well, using our equipment to do weddings, corporate events, and other events as well. We are looking to buy a system to make this happen. We currently have 10k budgeted. We have the ability to get lights at a discounted rate, therefore that isnt as much of an issues. Our current budget is 4k for lights, (we can get alot of great stuff for the price) 5k for sound and 1k for misc things such as cables. My reason for posting is I have very little knowledge only as much as I can read on speakers and etc. Therefore I'm looking for help to make all of this a reality. Our current event space is 10k sq feet. We have on average 500 people at an event. Any suggestions, in regards to speaker and sub brand, model, type, etc. Also, what type of lights would be best, lasers, intelligent lighting, etc. (There is one brand for lighting we can get so the suggestion for lighting should be the type not brand)

I have attached an event setup visualization for everyone to see.

Please let me know

I have linked our company website and Facebook page:

www.static-entertainment.com

http://www.facebook.com/StaticEntertainment

I really appreciate any responses, any suggestions, any help. We just want to make this possible.

Thank You,
Blake Anderson
[email protected]
Static Entertainment LLC.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
Re: Need Help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »

Hello,

So were a group of college students that own a company called Static Entertainment LLC. We currently operate in Sioux City, Iowa with plans to branch throughout Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Currently our companies basic operation is we throw large "night club events"  18+ one night every 3 to 4 months. We have explored the idea of throwing underage events in between our 18+ events as well, using our equipment to do weddings, corporate events, and other events as well. We are looking to buy a system to make this happen. We currently have 10k budgeted. We have the ability to get lights at a discounted rate, therefore that isnt as much of an issues. Our current budget is 4k for lights, (we can get alot of great stuff for the price) 5k for sound and 1k for misc things such as cables. My reason for posting is I have very little knowledge only as much as I can read on speakers and etc. Therefore I'm looking for help to make all of this a reality. Our current event space is 10k sq feet. We have on average 500 people at an event. Any suggestions, in regards to speaker and sub brand, model, type, etc. Also, what type of lights would be best, lasers, intelligent lighting, etc. (There is one brand for lighting we can get so the suggestion for lighting should be the type not brand)

I have attached an event setup visualization for everyone to see.

Please let me know

I have linked our company website and Facebook page:

www.static-entertainment.com

http://www.facebook.com/StaticEntertainment

I really appreciate any responses, any suggestions, any help. We just want to make this possible.

Thank You,
Blake Anderson
[email protected]
Static Entertainment LLC.

Really?

People run 'sound companies' at a financial loss all over the world!  I'd suggest that you hire companies to provide for events until you are profitable.  The advantage is twofold.  First, you can see what equipment works and what doesn't.  Second, if you aren't profitable after paying a sound company, why would you be profitable after becoming the sound company?  If so many sound companies have greater expenses than revenue, how will you reverse that trend by becoming a sound company yourself?

$10,000?  You can't even begin to get what you need to do anything more than a shitty marginal high school dance for $10,000.  It's been way too many years since I've seen a high school dance but that may even be doing an injustice to some of the mobile DJ community!

A couple subs and tops might work fine as a PA for small weddings, corporate Christmas parties and the like, but real night club PA's for 500 people would be closer to $50,000 (at minimum!) than $5,000.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:15:58 PM by Marlow Wilson »

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:46:48 AM »

500 people though the door @ $10 gives you roughly $5000 income for your shows. You probably get a % of the bar sales on top of that. That is plenty of money to rent out a system. You might even get the rental down some if you haul the gear and have the knowledge to operate it. I do shows almost exaclty like the ones your webpage describes and we always rent out additional gear to supplement the clubs exisiting rig. We've done the math and other than pride of ownership it just doesn't make any sense to own the equipment even doing monthly shows.

Brian Larson

Need Help!!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:27:11 AM »

*facepalm*

Randy Culpepper

Need Help!!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »

If you decide to check out the bringing in a company side of it, check out Sure Sound and Lighting. They're the ones who do all the production for Awesome Biker Nights. They might even have some gear they would sell you but I don't think you could touch it for your current budget

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »

BlakeAnderson

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »

You know, I really expected a better response from everyone. I mean regardless I appreciate responses period. But, the bashing? Come on now. Its one thing to say, "Hey, its not going to work. Not big enough budget." Its another to just bash what were trying to buy and do. I'd expect a more friendly response from any community. I do appreciate you Len with the email and atleast Paul gave some value in his response. Either respond with some value added or dont respond. Thanks.

Marlow Wilson

• Ottawa/Montreal CAN
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:41:53 AM »

...other than pride of ownership it just doesn't make any sense to own the equipment even doing monthly shows.

That pretty much captures my sentiment.  I do know some successful promoters that own some backline (whether for DJ's or bands), powered speakers to use as wedges, DJ monitors, fill, micro-events, etc.  All this is cost effective.

One caveat may be that there isn't a company in your area or the ones in operation are too expensive or ill-equipped.  You might take that as an indication of the underlying market to support your proposed endeavour though.

Because the replies have been so negative, I'll play devils advocate...

For $5000, I've sold some items in the past that could have been assembled into a useable 'bigger than SOS' PA:

4 Yorkville EF500p's - $2500 (self powered)
4 Yorkville LS908's - $1350
1 QSC 4050HD with case - $750

Which leaves $400 for a some Chinese cables and maybe a really cheap DSP?

No where near 'night club' level or quality for 500, but it beats what you'd get at the music store for the same money.

It's still not really a great idea though, and you've still got storage, transport, insurance, and a bunch of other stuff to think of.

You know, I really expected a better response from everyone. I mean regardless I appreciate responses period. But, the bashing? Come on now. Its one thing to say, "Hey, its not going to work. Not big enough budget." Its another to just bash what were trying to buy and do. I'd expect a more friendly response from any community. I do appreciate you Len with the email and atleast Paul gave some value in his response. Either respond with some value added or dont respond. Thanks.

Hi Blake,

You'll find that one disadvantage with forums is you have to take the advice whether you like it or not.  I actually had the post above sitting on an open tab in my browser and was waiting to add some more info.  Anyways, the long and short of it is that there is a HUGE range of expectations.  What one client thinks is incredible, another finds completely unacceptable. 

I do one annual electronic music event on a boat with 900 people.  The boat has several levels but it's basically two 'stages' (putting it close to your 500 person number).  The production cost for sound for the four hour event approaches what you've proposed investing for your entire PA.  We have four loaders for the in and out and two techs for the duration of the event.  The previous company did the event with a bunch of little powered speakers plus some powered subs and it was completely inadequate.  In the past several years we've used everything from old Turbosound Floodlight, Community SLS960's, and EAW KF650e's plus lots of subs.  This is all older gear, but it's miles ahead of what a little speaker on a tripod will do.  The organizers of the event wanted the 'authentic' EDM experience of a professional PA and we delivered it.  None of the Yorkville stuff mentioned above would be adequate for the job and I simply wouldn't use it for the application.  The question for you as a promoter is what is 'good enough' for you?  Can you provide that safely and profitably?  We can't really answer that question for you....

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »

500 people though the door @ $10 gives you roughly $5000 income for your shows.

And you use that to pay for:

The room.
Security.
Insurance.
Labor.
Sound and other rental.
Publicity.

And I'm sure I've forgotten something........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.