ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Entry level digital snake  (Read 8430 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Entry level digital snake
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:42:59 PM »

You could always ask some of your regular clients how they'd feel about a new desk. I'm surprised they haven't replaced the LS9!

Scott Stephens

Re: Entry level digital snake
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »

Brian, Keep your LS9 and your copper snake. Think about it as a business. If they are paid for, then they are making you money. If you get a job or jobs where it will pay you to upgrade then do it, but not now. scott stephens                                                                                                     
I'm a weekend warrior who owns an LS9. I've been carrying a 40 channel copper snake for the last few years which I really have no problems with at all. I like that it easily interfaces with any console I could choose to rent and I can crossrent it to other companies. It does the job.

I haven't kept up with the latest offerings on digital snakes but I've heard prices have come down quite a bit and if I can find something that fits my criteria I could be interested in making the switch.

My ideal snake would:

-Be modular (a couple of 16x8 units would be great as well as a few 8 channel output-only boxes)
-Use a standard format that can be easily connected to any brand of console (no proprietary Yamaha/Roland stuff)
-Run on a single Cat5 cable
-Have control of the preamps from the console
-Have the option to use with an analog console by connecting the input unit directly to an output unit that would be kept at FOH
-Not be ridiculously hard to set up (device IDs, MAC addresses etc. )
-Be under $4k for 32 inputs

For all I know, a system like this might not exist, but I thought I would ask here to see if now is the time to go digital or wait until its possible.

Let's hear suggestions!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »

Yes, a significant chunk of my revenue comes from renting equipment to other local companies. The reason I asked here was to find out of I could avoid a kludge and as I said I'm not opposed to the GLD or iLive as long as they have become well known. The X32 and Soundcraft options on the other hand don't seem right for me since no one wants to rent them.

Brian,
The soundcraft options were just released at NAMM. That would be why no one has asked to rent them.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.