ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Superbowl Blackout  (Read 13640 times)

Lester Seidenberg

Superbowl Blackout
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:36:45 PM »

You just know that they are gonna blame a sound guy for the power failure :)  (even if it was a squint that did it)
Lester

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
Re: Superbowl Blackout
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »

yeah you know somethings gone horribly bad when broadcast loses their guys in the booth and they have to go to someone on the sideline after 30 seconds or so of silence.
Ryan Davis

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:13:40 AM »

You just know that they are gonna blame a sound guy for the power failure :)  (even if it was a squint that did it)
Lester

Yup.  I did it.   8)

And I wasn't even there!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:32:34 AM »

I heard a report that the Manning brothers and Tony Romo were seen running from the electrical room......
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Nick Pires

• Portland, ME
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »

I heard a report that the Manning brothers and Tony Romo were seen running from the electrical room......
Nah. Had to have been Sean Payton getting back at Goodell.
I'm not who I would be, if I wasn't who I am.

Lester Seidenberg

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:04 AM »

Lester

Even though Beyonce's show was on a Gennie, I will bet that the Halftime show rig was to blame.   All the major characters keep saying is that a sensor sensed an abnormality and tripped a breaker.  Could that abnormality be the generator shutting down or being disconnected and a ripple being sent down the building ground?  That theory fits all the reports I've seen so far.  It would also explain why the power didn't screw up  during previous events, because they would not use an alternative power source that large.   And as we all know grounding is the major PITA for all of us.
Lester

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »

It is highly possible that the halftime show was indirectly responsible.  Stadium lighting is not made to be turned on and off frequently.  All the lights were off for the halftime show and the act of restoring them could have been stressful for the system.

Or it could have been just a reaction to the live Beyonce in halftime.  Recorded is a safer way to go....
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »

And as we all know grounding is the major PITA for all of us.
Lester

really? Aside from a bit of a buzz with a 25+ year old un-grounded mixer, I never have grounding problems.

Sensor? on the ground leg? I'm only familiar with film set/festival/bar/venue power, but I've never noticed a sensor on the feeder from a gennie. And I've never tied an external feed to building power, on any leg.
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

David Buehler

• db Production Services LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:33:13 AM »

It is highly possible that the halftime show was indirectly responsible.  Stadium lighting is not made to be turned on and off frequently.  All the lights were off for the halftime show and the act of restoring them could have been stressful for the system.

Or it could have been just a reaction to the live Beyonce in halftime.  Recorded is a safer way to go....

Most stadiums these days use dowsers infront of the venue/TV lights so they can blackout the venue for short periods of time during tv events and the such.

I find it highly unlikely that they powered down all the generators for the superbowl entertainment, as they're probably large trailer mounted twin packs or the such. I would expect that all the TV trucks and uplink/Fiber would have also been tied to similar twinpacks out back
David Buehler
Owner
db Production Services LLC

Audio - Video - Staging & Roofs - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 03:12:16 AM »

I second David's thoughts.

Good quality, massive scale power generation is not hard. All major stadium events use it without issue. I highly doubt that any of the production was running off shore power, although its possible that the in-venue commentary systems were powered locally.

"Sensor sensed an abnormality" sounds like TBS (thats technical bulls&^@t, people) for "we tripped an RCD while we tried to strike half the field lights at once. oops." :-)
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 03:12:16 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.