ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A portable, active line array plus active sub - feasible?  (Read 11597 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: A portable, active line array plus active sub - feasible?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »

The current "Crop" of "small line arrays" is simply nothing but a marketing ploy-in my opinion to cash in on the "masses" that don't understand any of the fundamental basics behind the theory.

Yeah I may get in trouble for such statements-but the facts are the facts.

Ivan....

As long as we're on the subject of "what's currently hot" for the masses, this puts me in mind of a musician I know.  He's a good classical violinist and a GREAT jazz fiddler.  As happens in the ups and downs of the biz, the college and coffee house circuit at one point would hire only "singer/song-writers".  So......

He booked a bunch of gigs that were publicized thus:

"Singer/song-writer (name omitted to protect the innocent) will present a program of jazz fiddle improvisation on  (Date) at (Time)."

Edit:

Just over in Wisconsin, they brew a beer called "Leinenkugel's", fondly known as "Leinie's".  Here's a pic of a "Leinie Array"

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:09:56 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 07:25:17 PM »

Would it be somehow feasible to have a portable rig comprised of small, active line arrays flown over an active sub or two?

Similar in idea to a Bose L1, but horizontal
Horizontal is bad in the world of line arrays.  The whole reason they work is that the brain is less sensitive to errors in the vertical domain.  There IS a good reason why every single line array is vertical.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »

Horizontal is bad in the world of line arrays.  The whole reason they work is that the brain is less sensitive to errors in the vertical domain.  There IS a good reason why every single line array is vertical.
This is EXACTLY another "falsehood" that people like to say why a line array is better..  "Point sources have the interference (at least some anyway) in the horizontal-but line arrays have it in the vertical plane-and people don't walk up and down in the air HA-HA HA".

OH REALLY?????? But they DO walk from from front to back (and are seated there)-and THAT is where the line arrays have their interference.

Don't believe me?  Just put in some pink noise and walk from rear to front and see what you hear.  If you can't hear it-then you have a good career in lighting or video waiting for you.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »

This is EXACTLY another "falsehood" that people like to say why a line array is better..  "Point sources have the interference (at least some anyway) in the horizontal-but line arrays have it in the vertical plane-and people don't walk up and down in the air HA-HA HA".

OH REALLY?????? But they DO walk from from front to back (and are seated there)-and THAT is where the line arrays have their interference.

Don't believe me?  Just put in some pink noise and walk from rear to front and see what you hear.  If you can't hear it-then you have a good career in lighting or video waiting for you.
First, I didn't say that is a reason why line arrays are better - they're better for some things and worse for others.  I said this is why they are designed to be deployed in a vertical orientation.  Second, I said less sensitive, as opposed to not sensitive.  Third, I will never argue with Ivan about speakers - compared to him, I'm completely unarmed.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »

First, I didn't say that is a reason why line arrays are better - they're better for some things and worse for others.  I said this is why they are designed to be deployed in a vertical orientation.  Second, I said less sensitive, as opposed to not sensitive.  Third, I will never argue with Ivan about speakers - compared to him, I'm completely unarmed.
I wasn't directly responding to you-but rather to the people who think that the best solution for every application is a "line array".  They often can't tell you why-and they are often full of "misconceptions" floating around.  Hence my trying to provide a few facts for people to think about.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »

JBL released a new product last July. It's called the CBT series very much like a Blose only 1000 times better. Not really meant for portable use but it would fill the bill and is just another example of what's out there...IF you look.

http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/JBLpro_CBT_brochure_July2012.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=89&MId=2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:26:44 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »

Greg, check with the moderators, but your post may have stepped over the line of what manufacturers can and cannot do... This type of self promotion is generally prohibited unless someone has asked specifically about your product.

I believe you can answer questions directed AT your specific product, though, as well as purchase advertising space.
Not to mention violating the policy of the displayed name being your real name.

Mike, there are a number of systems that emply column style arrays over subwoofers, however with column arrays the array length and associated quantity of drivers is what provides the vertical directionality and any potential benefit of being a 'line array'.  A shorter array may not only result in less output in general but also limit the 'line array' behavior and the frquencies for which that applies.  Just how short can a vertical array be before it effectively becomes similar to being a 'point source' but with some associated disadvantages?

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »

Seeburg gl-24 and gl-16.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 07:05:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.