ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patching GEQ and Comp into same insert point.  (Read 2939 times)

sam saponaro

Patching GEQ and Comp into same insert point.
« on: October 19, 2013, 02:02:28 pm »

I used to insert an EQ into the kick channel on my mixer.Stopped doing so a while back and replaced it with a Comp/Gate.But now I'm thinking about adding the EQ back also.
Would I just hook um in series,send side of the insert cable to the in of the EQ,then EQ out into the comp's in and out the comp to the return side of the insert cable?
If so Comp befor EQ or viseverse?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:04:44 pm by sam saponaro »

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
Re: Patching GEQ and Comp into same insert point.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:25:04 pm »

I used to insert an EQ into the kick channel on my mixer.Stopped doing so a while back and replaced it with a Comp/Gate.But now I'm thinking about adding the EQ back also.
Would I just hook um in series,send side of the insert cable to the in of the EQ,then EQ out into the comp's in and out the comp to the return side of the insert cable?

I run that configuration on my lead vocalist -- she has a lot of power but not so much control, and I needed finer tuning that I could get on the channel strip.  I put the EQ first and then the comp -- I figured it was better to only show the comp the frequencies I wanted in the output.

Opinions are like belly buttons.  Everybody has one, but not all are suitable for public display.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

What kind of mixer do you have such that you need to insert an additional EQ on your kick?

sam saponaro

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »

What kind of mixer do you have such that you need to insert an additional EQ on your kick?
I have a couple older analog mixers I use.
Mainly I used to use the EQ in an insert for extra shapin.I used to scoop the mids a little and boost(I know I know)the lows and highs a bit for extra thump and click.Also helps to crutch slightly blah drum tuning.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:34:56 pm »

I have a couple older analog mixers I use.
Mainly I used to use the EQ in an insert for extra shapin.I used to scoop the mids a little and boost(I know I know)the lows and highs a bit for extra thump and to crutch slightly blah drum tuning.

Does the mixer have EQ on the channel?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 04:51:23 pm »

Back in the Ye Olde Dayz, I inserted a 10 band (1 octave) graphic EQ in my kick channel because my Peavey  MK IV-24's fixed EQ points weren't where I wanted them.  IIRC I had -4dB at 30Hz, put a +6dB bump at 60Hz, -9dB @ 250Hz, -12dB @ 500Hz, +9dB @ 4kHz.  I still had the channel strip EQ if I wanted it...  But it's been a long, long time so I may have the relative cuts/boosts messed up.

In your situation I'd start with the compressor first, then the EQ, and return back to the channel.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Art Welter

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 05:32:54 pm »

The order depends on what you are trying to achieve with the compressor and equalizer.

For "taming" an erratic kick drum, (the only reason I'd put a comp on a kick)  put the comp after EQ.

If you are looking for a "different" (less dynamic or pumping) sound, you may want to do the opposite.

sam saponaro

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 11:58:41 pm »

Back in the Ye Olde Dayz, I inserted a 10 band (1 octave) graphic EQ in my kick channel because my Peavey  MK IV-24's fixed EQ points weren't where I wanted them.  IIRC I had -4dB at 30Hz, put a +6dB bump at 60Hz, -9dB @ 250Hz, -12dB @ 500Hz, +9dB @ 4kHz.  I still had the channel strip EQ if I wanted it...  But it's been a long, long time so I may have the relative cuts/boosts messed up.

In your situation I'd start with the compressor first, then the EQ, and return back to the channel.
Sounds approx what I used to do I tend to like that 60Hz.60Hz is my peak and I tend to slope down dumping above 250Hz and climbing back up around 2Khz up to like 10K.(I think been awhile also)31 band GEQ.
Samuel,yes all my mixers have Hi,Mid,Mid Sweep and Bass on channels.One evan has mid Q.
Art,I use a light Comp but more I use it for the Gate section.My Gate is full w/ Toms.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:14:35 am by sam saponaro »

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »

If you're going to do any significant LF cuts then put the eq first or the signal level will modulate to LF information that isn't part of the final sound.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 01:58:25 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.