ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need ideas for Wireless Field recording.  (Read 7811 times)

Gary Green

Need ideas for Wireless Field recording.
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

Not sure what Forum this question should go under...
My need is a BATTERY powered RF transmitter and receiver to use in the field for interview...something small to mate with a PMD660 recorder...or an all in one RF unit - Think 2 people walking in the woods w/ Lavs and a recorder doingf an interview...Any thoughts ? I have to help out a Radio Personality do field recordings - Literally in the field..
Thanks for your help!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Need ideas for Wireless Field recording.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »

My need is a BATTERY powered RF transmitter and receiver to use in the field for interview...something small to mate with a PMD660 recorder...or an all in one RF unit - Think 2 people walking in the woods w/ Lavs and a recorder doingf an interview...Any thoughts ? I have to help out a Radio Personality do field recordings - Literally in the field..
Thanks for your help!

http://www.lectrosonics.com/
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »

Thanks for your help!

Most of your rf wireless manufacturers make units for ENG use that feature battery powered receivers.  Here's a little info page from B & H Photo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLetter/Camera-Mount-Wireless-Microphones.jsp

You'll probably need adapters to get out of the receivers and into the Marantz since most don't have XLRs but that's pretty easy as well.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »

Thanks for your help!

I tried wireless laves for a remote broadcast once. What a disaster. Never again. Use a hand held or don't bother. It wont turn out well. I can pretty much guarantee it.

Give the radio guy the recorder and a wired mic... ev635a or whatever... and a set of headphones. Its up to him to stick the mic in the interviewees face.   

Gary Green

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »

I tried wireless laves for a remote broadcast once. What a disaster. Never again. Use a hand held or don't bother. It wont turn out well. I can pretty much guarantee it.

Give the radio guy the recorder and a wired mic... ev635a or whatever... and a set of headphones. Its up to him to stick the mic in the interviewees face.
I know what you mean...but picture interviewer and interviewee walking together in the woods side by side for an hour . More of a handsfree situation. The 2 small belt packs -receiver/transmitter into a PMD660 or zoom H2N could work.  Now I am thinking if its 2 people, we're talking four belt packs into a recorder.
Swerving a little...aside from the lav, anyone have thoughts (experience) on the absolute best somewhat inconspicuous single mic option.
Current use is a Beyer - no model number.
Any ideas help. My task is to present the best options.
Thanks.

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »

Tim,
 You should try something more then once before giving professional advise... IMHO.
 Lav's are absolutely fine for remote ENG work, provided you place them correctly and employ a proper fuzzy windscreen & HPF to knock down wind noise. I'm always surprised how high I can put the HPF on the Sound Devices mixers, and still retain good quality speech.
 If you can get a good omni lav placed properly on each person you should be quite happy.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »

Tim,
 You should try something more then once before giving professional advise... IMHO.
 Lav's are absolutely fine for remote ENG work, provided you place them correctly and employ a proper fuzzy windscreen & HPF to knock down wind noise. I'm always surprised how high I can put the HPF on the Sound Devices mixers, and still retain good quality speech.
 If you can get a good omni lav placed properly on each person you should be quite happy.

I'm with Steve on this one.
A properly placed and wind protected lav can give great results. Take your time and watch for clothing noise.
You can have the receivers on your belt and jack them into each channel of the recorder.
I big tip is, don't sum the mics to mono then go to the recorder.
Having them on separate tracks helps eliminate comb filtering and gives you more control in post.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »

Any ideas help. My task is to present the best options.
Thanks.

If you've got the budget, an M/S array mounted in the BIG Rycote Blimp, can be an excellent tool for two person interviews... Not so sure I'd want to be boom op on a straight hour with that setup, but it does work really really well.

We have a Neumann / Schoeps combo that sounds amazing, but the principals are the same even with less expensive mics.

Or you could just boom the whole thing (w/ an omni or shotgun depending on the shot... Likely an omni would be best), the quality you get will be directly related to your booming skills, and ability to focus through an hour shot without cutting. A good boom op could make this sound really good, with a single mic. Getting close with the omni will be far more forgiving then a shotgun mic, especially if you're not used to booming.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »

I set a client up with a pair of Shure FP 15/83 lav systems that seemed to have worked out well:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/wireless-systems/fp-systems

If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 08:43:21 PM »

I know what you mean...but picture interviewer and interviewee walking together in the woods side by side for an hour . More of a handsfree situation. The 2 small belt packs -receiver/transmitter into a PMD660 or zoom H2N could work.  Now I am thinking if its 2 people, we're talking four belt packs into a recorder....

You lost me there.  You would have two belt pack transmitters, one on each interviewer/ee.  Then two belt pack receivers plugged into your recorder.  Assuming nothing for ambient or boom mic or whatever, I'd just plug one into one side of the recorder and one into the other and mix them in post.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 08:43:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.