ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac laptop to vga to projector  (Read 8302 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Mac laptop to vga to projector
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »

No Mac laptop has an HDMI output.  The older models had mini DVI or full sized DVI.  anything from the last several years will have Displayport or Thunderbolt, which for your purposes is the same thing.

Worth contacting your guy to verify if he's got display port.  But that's probably what he's got.  Adapters for that to VGA are readily available.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Mac laptop to vga to projector
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 12:50:53 AM »

No Mac laptop has an HDMI output.  The older models had mini DVI or full sized DVI.  anything from the last several years will have Displayport or Thunderbolt, which for your purposes is the same thing.

Worth contacting your guy to verify if he's got display port.  But that's probably what he's got.  Adapters for that to VGA are readily available.

FYI the new Retina Macbook Pros(13"&15") do have HDMI ports as well as thunderbolt.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

brian maddox

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 01:49:04 AM »

FYI the new Retina Macbook Pros(13"&15") do have HDMI ports as well as thunderbolt.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

well, there you go.  that's what i get for not qualifying my statement with a 'as far as i know'.

i wonder why they chose to put that on there?  such a screwy standard.  although i think i saw it on the newer Mac Minis as well....

either way, i still think i'd go with a Display Port adapter to get to VGA rather than mess with the HDMI.  But that's just me...

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 07:37:04 AM »

either way, i still think i'd go with a Display Port adapter to get to VGA rather than mess with the HDMI.  But that's just me...
I have already encountered Macs that will enable HDCP if they are simply connected to a HDCP compliant input and not output HD content it to non-HDCP compliant devices so I wonder how they work with high resolution signals if you are using a DisplayPort to VGA adapter?

brian maddox

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »

I have already encountered Macs that will enable HDCP if they are simply connected to a HDCP compliant input and not output HD content it to non-HDCP compliant devices so I wonder how they work with high resolution signals if you are using a DisplayPort to VGA adapter?

I'm far from an expert on this kind of thing, but I've done exactly what you're describing with no issues.  I used my MacBook Pro to feed a projector via VGA and playing HD Content.  Worked a champ.  Just one anecdote so not really worth much I know...

In the VGA world is there even a way for the MacBook to see if the input is HDCP compliant?  I.e. I thought that stuff only worked in the digital realm.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »

In the VGA world is there even a way for the MacBook to see if the input is HDCP compliant?  I.e. I thought that stuff only worked in the digital realm.
That's sort of the point, if it can't see an HDCP compliant input then should/will it output HD signals or any protected HD content?  It shouldn't be an issue unless the content flags it but since they are also a content provider, in order to protect their content Apple has been known to provide hardware that goes beyond the minimum requirements .

brian maddox

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

That's sort of the point, if it can't see an HDCP compliant input then should/will it output HD signals or any protected HD content?  It shouldn't be an issue unless the content flags it but since they are also a content provider, in order to protect their content Apple has been known to provide hardware that goes beyond the minimum requirements .

Oh, now I understand you.  Yeah, that's a good question.  I don't really ever have a need to show anything like that so I haven't ever come across that issue.  I'd be curious to know if anyone ever has just to see if Apple was applying their HDCP compliance to that output.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.