ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: When bad things happen to good consoles - M7CL lock up  (Read 9438 times)

Ryan Jodrell

Re: When bad things happen to good consoles - M7CL lock up
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »

With the majority of people today using smart phones, I would say in a room of 3,000 people the wireless airwaves were pretty busy.

Is this still an issue using a 5Ghz router?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »

Uh... "router" does not have anything to do with RF.

Perhaps you're thinking of Wireless Access Point (WAP).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 03:03:22 PM »

Uh... "router" does not have anything to do with RF.

Perhaps you're thinking of Wireless Access Point (WAP).

Most WAPs now are in routers, so us civilians tend to lump them together.  Us civilians can be kinda unsmart like that...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »

It's less of an issue, but there are plenty of iPhones and the like that operate at 5GHz.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »

Ditch the iPad app if it's even remotely considered a possible problem.

Try VNC to a wired PC running studio manager instead, that way if it's a WiFi issue or the PC locks-up the console still runs normally.

Or try putting a hardwired studio manager laptop at a more useable position in the room.  I've used a KVM extender over Cat-5 which allows you to just have only a monitor and keyboard 150' away from the physical PC -very easy to hide in a topiary somewhere:-) 
Couple that with a one-peice bluetooth keyboard&trackpad combo and you have a very discrete hard-wired rig that can survive quite a bit of abuse without taking-down the system.

We are in the midst of a large corporate event.  Three days of install in a hotel ballroom, cables every where, twelve speaker zones, Optocore digital snake talking to an M7CL via MY cards at FOH.  Each night of the three night event has the room in a different format and the mix position is in a less than ideal ( as in no where near anything useful ) spot .  It's always been a struggle to get zones dialed in before hand and mixes balanced with a rotation of live music, both rock band and 24 piece big band plus strings, podium and video play back so this year after plenty of warm up at other corporate events I touted the merits of control via the iPad as a valuable tool in getting things just right in the money seats.  Things are going swimmingly on the first night which is a stand up reception for 3000 people with four bands playing rotation on a stage in the center of the room.  I'm wandering around with the iPad adjusting things.  My FOH guy is at the M7 mixing what makes sense there, the monitor guy is mixing at stage side with one band in four playing right into his face.  The room is so crowded that at one point I have to go into a side hall and come back in at another door almost certainly loosing contact with the wifi but I've lost contact a few times before during the night without issue.  As I enter near the mix riser the bands change again and it sounds a bit dull. It seems that when the mute scenes were changed by the FOH engineer the console had locked up.  It still passed audio but with the previous bands' mics open.  The surface would not respond to any controls either on the board or on the iPad.  After a few tense moments assessing all of this I restarted the console and things went back to normal.  Has anyone experienced this kind of lock up on an M7CL and more specifically has anyone tied StageMix/iPad control to this sort of thing?  Last night was the most survivable time for this to happen, by the time it locked up the crowd was well into their nth mixed drink and not paying much attention.  Tonight and tomorrow are the scripted shows and a lock up here would be nasty.  This is our 15th year doing the event and we've used the M7 for the last six years without a glitch, the new element is the iPad ( and a new 5Ghz router ).  Any observations would be appreciated.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.