ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser 2000/e965 vs. Shure UHF-R/KSM9  (Read 22210 times)

Dave Gunnell

Sennheiser 2000/e965 vs. Shure UHF-R/KSM9
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:40:34 AM »

Hi All:

I’m considering an upgrade from my Shure UHF Beta 87A wireless, and some recent research has me down to two systems:
•   Sennheiser 2000 series with e965 capsules
•   Shure UHF-R with KSM9 capsules

Both systems are at the same price point, similar feature set, and I’m sure either would be a quality rig.  Curious to hear what people’s experience has been, what you think of the capsules tonally, and how they compare from an RF reliability standpoint.

Regarding rider friendliness, the UHF-R seems to be the more widely deployed, but the higher end Sennheiser (3000/5000 series) seems quite popular as well.  But everyone I talk to is recommending I try the 2000 series…

Thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks again.

Dave

Adam Robinson

Re: Sennheiser 2000/e965 vs. Shure UHF-R/KSM9
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:03:54 AM »

Hi All:

I’m considering an upgrade from my Shure UHF Beta 87A wireless, and some recent research has me down to two systems:

Both systems are at the same price point, similar feature set, and I’m sure either would be a quality rig.  Curious to hear what people’s experience has been, what you think of the capsules tonally, and how they compare from an RF reliability standpoint.

Regarding rider friendliness, the UHF-R seems to be the more widely deployed, but the higher end Sennheiser (3000/5000 series) seems quite popular as well.  But everyone I talk to is recommending I try the 2000 series…

Dave

I prefer the sound of the e965 to the KSM9.  I've always felt the top end of the KSM9 to be a bit fake.  RF-wise, both are great products, but the UHF-R is definitely our industry standard. 

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »

I prefer the sound of the e965 to the KSM9.  I've always felt the top end of the KSM9 to be a bit fake.  RF-wise, both are great products, but the UHF-R is definitely our industry standard.

+1 the Shure systems will almost never be frowned upon and will fit most any rider you find. The 2000 series are exceptional units but have not quite made the list yet. If its for personal consumption go with the sennheiser (although I like the 935) if your trying to make others happy UHFR. We have both and I like tgem both differently I normally use 935s on loud stages. The 965 is very full sounding "warm" and personally I don't think the ksm9 sounds much different from a beta87 which is a good choice in many situations. However, I deal with a lot if loud stages so I will often use sm87 over their beta counterparts.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:26:57 AM »

We recently installed 4 channels of the 2000 series sennheiser with the neuman KMS105 caps and body packs with MKE-2 lavs.  The system has been absolutely bulletproof.  Great RF performance, fantastic features, easy to use, amazing quality.  I considered the the Shure system, and I demo'ed both.  We went with Sennheiser mostly for the capsule selections.  The Neumann caps are really good, and they meet lots of riders.  I think the e965 is a better mic (for most people at least) than the KSM9 though both are great.  But I love the flexibility of being able to use the e935 dynamic, e965 condenser, or the KMS105.

-d

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »

Hi All:

Dave

Why worry about it?  Dave Rat makes a Sennheiser to Shure  wireless capsule adapter.

http://soundtools.com/sen2shure.html

Buy the UHF-R with KSM9 heads and then buy some 965 / 935 heads and the adaper rings if you want to.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:50:53 AM »

More rider friendly often equates to what is more familiar.  In the pop/rock/country market Shure has ruled the world for a long time.  In my opinion their wireless stuff is spec-ed because folks have been relying on some variation of the 58 forever.  It fits like a comfortable shoe. This just spills over to wireless needs.    In my opinion, Sennheiser designs and builds at least an equal transducer product and a superior rf product.  If rider acceptance equals success, then buy Shure, Yamaha, Vertec and be done with it.  Sometimes life is about more than plain vanilla pudding.  When you can satisfy the needs of your customer and have a little fun along the way, life becomes more than climbing on the treadmill.  Enjoy.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

Why worry about it?  Dave Rat makes a Sennheiser to Shure  wireless capsule adapter.

http://soundtools.com/sen2shure.html

Buy the UHF-R with KSM9 heads and then buy some 965 / 935 heads and the adaper rings if you want to.

Very cool piece, but it looks like it only works with dynamic capsules...

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:35:08 PM »

You probably won't get Sennheiser to admit it, but it is my experience that the HDX compander chip in the 2000 system sounds better than the 3000/5000 series HiDyn... RF wise the 2000 performs very well.

Chan Xiang Ju

• XJ Audio and Visual Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:19 PM »

You probably won't get Sennheiser to admit it, but it is my experience that the HDX compander chip in the 2000 system sounds better than the 3000/5000 series HiDyn... RF wise the 2000 performs very well.

in my opinion, cleanliness of signal yes but in terms of dynamic range i feel that the 3000 series outperform the 2000s.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »

Ambient Recording do a Shure/Sennheiser adaptor for those that can only sing in a Beta58: http://www.ambient.de/produkte/ambient-recording/handheld-adapter/hha-shs.html

They also do a converter that adapts Sennheiser and Neumann 300/5000 capsules to Shure mounts:
http://www.ambient.de/produkte/ambient-recording/handheld-adapter/hha-s.html

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:23:51 AM by Jens Palm Bacher »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.