ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW UX3600 (And I'm assuming UX8800) Gunness Focusing Processor  (Read 18756 times)

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: EAW UX3600 (And I'm assuming UX8800) Gunness Focusing Processor
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »

The Dave Gunness Wikipedia article explains at the 30k foot level about the spectrogram and how they decided on the 4 parameters to attack with processing.

The idea that applying filters/processing to address that very small space between the compression driver surface and phase plug - and that can make such a difference in sound - is astonishing. Phill has an article in FOH about the phase plug and compression diaphragms and the physical issues they have.

Cool reading...

Josh Billings

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:22:11 PM »

I don't doubt that the UX3600 may make other EAW speakers sound better than others. I was only commenting on my experience.

No Idea why I'm getting so much backlash with my honest review of the product. I do like it and it's a great unit, I just didn't feel it was an amazing difference (which is my subjective opinion).

Josh Billings

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:04 AM »

I don't doubt that the UX3600 may make other EAW speakers sound better than others. I was only commenting on my experience.

No Idea why I'm getting so much backlash with my honest review of the product. I do like it and it's a great unit, I just didn't feel it was an amazing difference (which is my subjective opinion).

Josh Billings

And your subjective opinion is not a "review".  We want a nicely documented objective set of tangible results derived from a proper set of tests.  You publish some actual findings from which we can draw our own conclusions.  You're free to include your own as well.  But you've given NOTHING other than "uhhhhh......sounds kinda good.  What's all the fuss?"

IT'S NOT A REVIEW!!!!! 

It's just a post that makes you look very naive and inexperienced.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Josh Billings

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 07:01:20 PM »

And your subjective opinion is not a "review".  We want a nicely documented objective set of tangible results derived from a proper set of tests.  You publish some actual findings from which we can draw our own conclusions.  You're free to include your own as well.  But you've given NOTHING other than "uhhhhh......sounds kinda good.  What's all the fuss?"

IT'S NOT A REVIEW!!!!! 

It's just a post that makes you look very naive and inexperienced.

Maybe you should read this - http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,25.0.html

"It is also a good place to find out what other's views are on a particular piece of gear"

A review can contain opinion and most do. My review (and most on this site) do not contain measurements and tests. I'm not here to publish a paper on my findings of this unit, I posted my thoughts on the minor differences I heard with the unit. Regardless your sniveling comments add nothing to this.

What a cantankerous old man you must be

Josh Billings

Josh Billings

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:04:06 PM »

And just a question...was this review good enough for you? Plenty of thorough testing? Glad you were able to help him with his review by changing "Absolute Crap" to "Ultimate Crap"

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,140071.0.html

Josh

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »

And just a question...was this review good enough for you? Plenty of thorough testing? Glad you were able to help him with his review by changing "Absolute Crap" to "Ultimate Crap"

Josh

Oh, so you want to drag me into this?

Thorough testing?  If using eight of those pieces of shit for seven weeks, then having to put the entire investment in a dumpster isn't a thorough enough testing process for you, I suggest you find another line of work. 

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »

Josh

The product in question is Ultimate crap.  Totally unworthy of purchase.  The whole thread was testimony reinforcing that judgement.

"Absolute crap" is the "quality" of your "review".  There is nothing in your OP that is of any use to anyone interested in the processor in question.  The only reason I can see for the post is to gain some sort of stature in the sound community by critiquing (however ineffectually) a piece of professional gear that you are apparently unable to deploy to full effect.

Ego detrahitis, ergo sum legitima.

Check all the replies.  Does anyone agree or find any validity in your "review"?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:48:31 PM by dick rees »

Josh Billings

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »

The product in question is Ultimate crap.  Totally unworthy of purchase.  The whole thread was testimony reinforcing that judgement.

"Absolute crap" is the "quality" of your "review".  There is nothing in your OP that is of any use to anyone interested in the processor in question.  The only reason I can see for the post is to gain some sort of stature in the sound community by critiquing (however ineffectually) a piece of professional gear that you are apparently unable to deploy to full effect.

Ego detrahitis, ergo sum legitima.

Check all the replies.  Does anyone agree or find any validity in your "review"?

Exactly why I wrote the review, because my experience was different than others. I didn't have an "Oh wow, these now sound amazing" moment. There isn't a lot to deploying a loudspeaker with Focused settings...you can't change anything about them other than the volume so they are about as idiot proof as they get.

My review would of been useful to me before I purchased it because I may of questioned my purchase. It was tough to justify the expense for me and in my case the differences weren't very dramatic.

No idea what putting that phrase in latin had to do with anything, but i was only posting my experiences to share with others who may be interested. Gaining stature in the sound community means nothing to me, I was only trying to help others that may of been in similar situations to myself before making a fairly decent sized purchase basically saying "My Kool Aid wasn't as good as these other people have said it is"

P.S. Doug I wasn't dragging you into this, I was just pointing out that your review was vague, short and lacked any of the testing / tangible results that Dick said mine was lacking. I for one appreciate your review and all reviews on this site and I can take them in how I would like. Not everybody is going to feel the same way and that's fine.

Eh, I'm done with this entire thread. Attacking someone for trying to contribute to the site...good job.

Josh Billings

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »

No idea what putting that phrase in latin had to do with anything,

Neither do you have any idea what Gunness Focusing is capable of.  To understand what you're missing on the Focusing will require a bit of study and practice.  To understand the Latin, you just have to look it up.

Josh Billings

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:24 AM »

I understood it, just putting it in Latin seemed pointless.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:37:42 AM by Josh Billings »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.