ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR Noesis, anyone hear them yet?  (Read 23341 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: JTR Noesis, anyone hear them yet?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 05:41:42 AM »

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »

Took the pair of 2AX's out last night.  Stone cold-no prelisten at the shop with the intended gear, never even seen the room before, and I've been sick all week fighting something flu like, if not the real deal.

The room is an old rehabbed industrial space on the north side of Chicago.  Banquet set for 150 at ten round tables.  We have one side of the room coming out of a corner, comfortable set up-no stage.  I'd say dimensions were 50'x100', but the kick was a 40' ceiling with exposed steel, skylights, etc.  All brick and concrete-old filled in sections.  This room makes a very high quality 2.5s live room-sadly, not very good for a party and live music.(Dave Unger, this place gives the Cultural Center downtown a serious run for reverb king!!).

Setup shown in the photo, the speakers are about 7' high at the bottoms, plus I was able to get the house left stand just to the outside of a podium under their banner on the wall, which balanced things a little better.

Talking heads and background music for a couple of hours, the Noesis did just fine-articulation was fine, I was happy.  Very little graphic eq.  My first impression were that these speakers are pretty "neutral" right out of the box, and tweaking with the graphic was no problem.

The band finished off with a couple of sets of, yep, you guessed it, traditional Irish music.  Keys, guitar  go direct, the strings have clip on ATM35 mics, flute is stand mounted sm58, bodhran is clip on and sm57 on a low boom.

So, I knew it was going to get noisey-when the crowd came in first and were chattering away before eating, this was just the first confirmation of the noise level potential.  With the band playing, and the folks being noisey, well, let's just say "buzz" was not quite the right word.  "Deafening Din" perhaps.

The Noesis did well-I had plenty of horsepower, so if I pushed it, I could pretty much cut through the noise.  I did start having to cut some low mids out, and it was tough getting the cello to sit in the mix, but certainly no fault of the speakers.

I have another small pub gig or two this month that I hope to somehow set up the Noesis and demo.

I also want to set them up in the theater space I work regularly and compare them to my other loudspeakers.  Stay tuned.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »

The band finished off with a couple of sets of, yep, you guessed it, traditional Irish music.  ...

So, I knew it was going to get noisey-when the crowd came in first and were chattering away before eating, this was just the first confirmation of the noise level potential.  With the band playing, and the folks being noisey, well, let's just say "buzz" was not quite the right word.  "Deafening Din" perhaps.

I've done quit a few Irish band gigs (played in one for a few years). Always a loud, rowdy, drunken, highly appreciative crowd.
Mark McFarlane

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »

I've done quit a few Irish band gigs (played in one for a few years). Always a loud, rowdy, drunken, highly appreciative crowd.

I've had the crowds run the gamut, and typically pub gigs aren't the best crowds.  Depends on the pub. 

This gig was a benefit dinner for a local school that the Chicago Lions rugby team sponsors each year.  So, loud and rowdy they were, but well behaved.  Our keyboardist used to play for them when he emigrated from Ireland.

Best regards,

John

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »

Thanks for the report John. Those challenging rooms are not much fun, recently had a 6 piece bluegrass outfit in a similar space ( thx again Gary), did not think I would have had to push the T-8s as much as I did, but that ambient noise creeps up on you - pretty soon it was almost rock levels, almost. I think 60' horns would have certainly served me better than 90s.

Mike

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »

I will have a pair of 3TXs next week for evaluation with 2 gigs lined up for them.

One is providing for a DJ in a large multi-function room that we normally deploy QRx212s with Growlers. 200+ sweaty semi-dressed screaming teens are usually in attendance...

The other gig is on NYE with a band I usually provide for, semi-large room, high ceiling, party crowd, cover rock, hard floors, will report back in January with impressions and hopefully a quick SMAART plot (weather permitting).

Mike

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »

I will have a pair of 3TXs next week for evaluation with 2 gigs lined up for them.

One is providing for a DJ in a large multi-function room that we normally deploy QRx212s with Growlers. 200+ sweaty semi-dressed screaming teens are usually in attendance...

The other gig is on NYE with a band I usually provide for, semi-large room, high ceiling, party crowd, cover rock, hard floors, will report back in January with impressions and hopefully a quick SMAART plot (weather permitting).

Mike

Mike;

Don't forger pictures!

Douglas R. Allen

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »

Incasse you missed it:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141934.0.html

Thanks for the update.
Should these be used north of Augusta give me a shout and I'll drive down and give them a listen in person.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.