ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: So Now Presonus Has Chosen To Take Their Product Bashing To Facebook?  (Read 26015 times)

Lance Richens

Really? Seriously? Bashing via youtube just wasn't working good enough? Wonder what this co$t them? Hope it's worth it to both their pocketbook & reputation....

http://twomixers.presonus.com/
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: So Now Presonus Has Chosen To Take Their Product Bashing To Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »

Really? Seriously? Bashing via youtube just wasn't working good enough? Wonder what this co$t them? Hope it's worth it to both their pocketbook & reputation....

Whatever you tried to link to doesn't work. It just goes straight to their home page on FB.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »

Old news....  but it's interesting to watch them dig a deeper hole.

For them to respond should be expected, but this and the youtube video suggests several things -

First, they're scared.  They should be.  Presonus is a fairly small operation to begin with and they're certainly small fry compared to Music Group/Behringer.  The first shipment of X32 probably eclipses total StudioLive sales.

Second, they're fighting for new sales (unlikely if consumers are genuinely familiar with the feature sets of both mixers) in an extremely competitive situation.  Hey, that's what manufacturers do.  Their Youtube video was a whack-job that is almost parody-level funny and the little Tale of 2 Mixers is cute, but both essentially are preaching to the converted - people who already have invested in the SL or other Presonus products.  That leads me to

Third, they're desperately trying to hold onto market share.  That their 'new' 32 input mixer is pretty much a streched SL24 doesn't show a lot of forward thinking regarding the upgrade cycle for existing owners.  Presonus has gone all-in with this form factor and feature set, and I'll give them emotional credit for sticking to it, but longer term this platform will not survive competition.

In fairness, some of what is fast and cheap to do on the Studio Live is more expensive on the X32, but only a little bit.

I have no ax to grind with Presonus (didn't like your mixer, sorry, but I don't hate you for it), nor am I a fanboy for Behringer... but I've watched these things from the sidelines for a few decades and have learned a lot by listening to JR when talks about product development and production... and this leads me to believe that Presonus will have to substantially up their game or lower their prices to keep unit sales in the future.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Lance Richens

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »

Sorry about the link. They are buying ad space on facebook to bash behringer.....

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »

I think this link *might* work.. should be to a .pdf

http://api.ning.com/files/FeOUju35-qUIEyrvWvP4kNuWspsEf1HczVYzGo83zOBudtqgmgZXZgS1W7isU8uywPeozAbbP8y8J8XpPwDSeUOa8KmpF29Z/X32_Comparison_Print_lowres.pdf

Lance Richens

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »

Ah, the fanboy wars....

I am probably repeating myself (I often do). One of the key developments in the X-32 program was Uli rolling his own motorized faders (hint for SL guys). Old guys like me remember when motorized faders were $350-400 each, in real dollars. I have seen these evolutions before, and whomever was selling the old $10-20 motor fader (Alps?), will probably revisit their costs and give competitors to Behringer a slightly cheaper option than what was out there before. While Uli has a head start and owns that market segment for now.

Just like Mackie was not left alone with their category kiler 8-bus console, Uli knows better than to expect no competiton.

Presonus should have been using the last several years to develop moving faders for their consoles. If this is news to them, they haven't been listening to their customers, or more specifically those who didn't buy from them. While I haven't been taking them very seriously, I just looked at their website and see a cute outboard moving fader...  Now all they need to do is cobble a bunch of them together, and make a competitive product... If they can't, they should stop whining and focus on some niche that they can do well... If they can't find a niche to dominate, maybe they can get jobs working on the Keystone pipeline.

JR

PS: One of the rules of marketing is not to name competitors by name. When a campaign deteriorates to this you are probably already losing the war. You draw attention to the competitor and make yourself look weak in the process.  That said it seemed to work out OK for the politicians, so what do I know?  8)
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »

Ah, the fanboy wars....

I am probably repeating myself (I often do). One of the key developments in the X-32 program was Uli rolling his own motorized faders (hint for SL guys). Old guys like me remember when motorized faders were $350-400 each, in real dollars. I have seen these evolutions before, and whomever was selling the old $10-20 motor fader (Alps?), will probably revisit their costs and give competitors to Behringer a slightly cheaper option than what was out there before. While Uli has a head start and owns that market segment for now.

Just like Mackie was not left alone with their category kiler 8-bus console, Uli knows better than to expect no competiton.

Presonus should have been using the last several years to develop moving faders for their consoles. If this is news to them, they haven't been listening to their customers, or more specifically those who didn't buy from them. While I haven't been taking them very seriously, I just looked at their website and see a cute outboard moving fader...  Now all they need to do is cobble a bunch of them together, and make a competitive product... If they can't, they should stop whining and focus on some niche that they can do well... If they can't find a niche to dominate, maybe they can get jobs working on the Keystone pipeline.

JR

PS: One of the rules of marketing is not to name competitors by name. When a campaign deteriorates to this you are probably already losing the war. You draw attention to the competitor and make yourself look weak in the process.  That said it seemed to work out OK for the politicians, so what do I know?  8)

Maybe our friends at Soundcraft will have something out soon that will kick both their asses??? Hint  ;)

Lance Richens

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »

Maybe our friends at Soundcraft will have something out soon that will kick both their asses??? Hint  ;)

But at what price?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »

Repeating myself some more... All the serious players in the console business have run their own skunkworks to design digital consoles, or partner with someone else to gain the technology. Prior to the X-32 the payday was not very apparent. I have seen more than one private program put out of it's misery before the marketplace got to vote it off the island.

The next few years should be interesting, and Uli needs to be making hay while the sun shines on him. His strategy to leave some performance differentiation to allow Midas breathing room, may also allow competition to get it's nose under the tent.

For any who have not been paying attention, digital consoles have been around for decades. What has changed recently is the lower price point. Uli gets credit for some sharp pencil engineering, but at least part of this price decrease is from the much larger consumer electronics market driving down key electronic component costs.

Interesting times.

JR

PS: Another only slightly related development, the increasing pay scales and standard of living in China is leading price sensitive manufacturers to move away to other even cheaper regions. For now this looks like Viet Nam and other areas of SE asia, not Africa as I have been predicting longer term. Clothing/shoes/etc are more price sensitive, so that "shoe" fell first, but this is a constantly evolving dynamic, and will eventually end up full circle with manufacturing inside the markets it is servicing (albeit not in my lifetime).   8)
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.