ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves Live MultiRack Native...  (Read 46370 times)

Chris Johnson [UK]

Re: Waves Live MultiRack Native...
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »

Anyone tried this over Dante with DVS? I've heard people suggest that DVS has similar latencies to FW/USB interfaces (obviously I imagine different NICs have slightly different results). This wouls suggest to me that they might be in the 8-10ms roundtrip bracket.

My application is FOH/Broadcast, and I'm primarily processing groups or inputs that don't have a timing relationship with any others, so that kind of latency is pretty unimportant
Riedel Communications

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »

Anyone tried this over Dante with DVS? I've heard people suggest that DVS has similar latencies to FW/USB interfaces (obviously I imagine different NICs have slightly different results). This wouls suggest to me that they might be in the 8-10ms roundtrip bracket.

And also, will the Dante Accelerator Card cut that latency down to an acceptable level?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:59:50 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »

And also, will the Dante Accelerator Card cut that latency down to an acceptable level?

As a reference, Focusrite's rednet Dante card will give less than 2ms roundtrip with a computer. I think it's reasonable to speculate that Yamaha's would do similarly.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »

Yamahas card is different though. I'm not 100% sure it will work without Nuendo... I mean it should be low latency, but it may have proprietary drivers.
Riedel Communications

George Dougherty

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 12:51:44 AM »

Yamahas card is different though. I'm not 100% sure it will work without Nuendo... I mean it should be low latency, but it may have proprietary drivers.
The linked website lists it as an ASIO or Core Audio device.  If so, it will work with pretty much any DAW or professional grade audio software such as Multirack.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 05:21:18 AM »

The linked website lists it as an ASIO or Core Audio device.  If so, it will work with pretty much any DAW or professional grade audio software such as Multirack.

That would be very cool indeed. Anyone know what it costs?
Riedel Communications

Ben Anderson

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 06:08:09 AM »

I use Waves multitrack native from a GLD or Rednet 3 to rednet PCI. The yamaha card looks exactly the same however with added redundancy, i would think this is the only difference between the two as OEM's simply use the Audinate designed card: http://www.audinate.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=241 

Correct me if im wrong, but my understanding of latency is this:

1. GLD or Rednet 3 -> Rednet PCI .15ms   

2. 32 sample buffer Waves Multirack @ 48khz .6667ms

3. Individual plugin latency (mostly for live use 0 - 64 samples per plugin, i often use a max of 128 samples for any particular channel) 0 - 2.6667ms

4. 32 sample buffer Waves Multirack @ 48khz .6667ms

5. Rednet PCI -> GLD .15ms

With the use of DVS, you add another 4ms to this on the input, and if your in windows ASIO output buffer will add at least another 1ms on the output, but if you are using a decent amount of channels perhaps more.
If you use a firewire/usb interface the buffers here can vary depending on the machine and driver but best case is about 2ms in and 2ms out.
http://www.presonus.com/news/articles/The-Truth-About-Digital-Audio-Latency

So DVS and Firewire/USB are pretty comparable.

Correct me if i'm wrong!

With the luxury of dante I will often use a 64 or 96 sample buffer, especially in larger venues, allowing for a much much larger plugin count.

All this relies on having a top of the line pc as well.

Ben Anderson

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »

Thanks Ben,

Thats very interesting. Your analysis of the roundtrip latency is correct, whats interesting is the very low RedNet PCI numbers. Very cool.

I'm interested in Native because other than lower latency, there are minimal advantages to soundgrid (unless you are on Digico, because then you can control the Plugs with the console's screen).
Sure, you have a server, but those servers are expensive for the amount of processing power they offer, and the system still relies on the PC to process the plugins, so its not really any 'safer'. In fact, statistically, its almost certainly less safe because you have more points of failure.

Native offers much lower plugin cost also, which makes it stack up better next to the hardware alternatives.
Riedel Communications

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »

True Jordan - and while I'm sure the X32 has some promise for some settings, I'm not going to go into live rooms that have a heritage 3k and plop down a X32.  Behringer has a long way to go before they have a viable reputation - regardless of specs.  Plus there's just.... sound quality.  I'd take a LS9-32 over an X32 any day... and boy, I don't want to mix on an LS9. 

I'm sorry Jeff but something is terrible wrong with your judgment, possibily because of the Behringer brand name and the preconceptions about it.

If you go just by the Sound Quality the X32 console is far superior to the old yamaha LS9, they're not on the same league in sonic qualities.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »

I'm sorry Jeff but something is terrible wrong with your judgment, possibily because of the Behringer brand name and the preconceptions about it.

If you go just by the Sound Quality the X32 console is far superior to the old yamaha LS9, they're not on the same league in sonic qualities.

Do you realize this thread is over 5 years old?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.