ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake LM26 44  (Read 2655 times)

Tom Harrison

Lake LM26 44
« on: February 27, 2019, 01:13:11 AM »

Anybody still using Lake LM26 or 44 for system EQ? Do you like it better than XTA 4 or 5 series? Another new kid on the block is Linea Research ASC48.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Lake LM26 44
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »

Yes, I'd say 90% of touring FOH rigs we see have an LM44 on board. We also have one in our primary drive rack. I prefer to do my EQ within the amp DSP (in this case, d&b D80s, as I like the interface of the R1 software better than lake controller), but the Lake is there for console switching, analog/AES conversion, and a familiar interface for touring folks who aren't necessarily comfortable in R1.

I can speak regarding the other dsps you mentioned as I have never seen one.

Tom Harrison

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »

Yes, I'd say 90% of touring FOH rigs we see have an LM44 on board. We also have one in our primary drive rack. I prefer to do my EQ within the amp DSP (in this case, d&b D80s, as I like the interface of the R1 software better than lake controller), but the Lake is there for console switching, analog/AES conversion, and a familiar interface for touring folks who aren't necessarily comfortable in R1.

I can speak regarding the other dsps you mentioned as I have never seen one.

I heard the MESA EQ is excellent. How's the AD/DA converters? d&b recommends going AES in to avoid another cycle of conversion. Device is almost 10 years old.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:06:23 PM »

I heard the MESA EQ is excellent. How's the AD/DA converters? d&b recommends going AES in to avoid another cycle of conversion. Device is almost 10 years old.

The Lake EQ works very well, I'm just not a fan of the user interface which is definitely showing its age.

Regarding AES drive, when working with a tour that wants to provide analog drive lines, I run their analog lines in to the LM44 then AES from the LM44 to the d&b amps. Assuming a L/R/S/F setup I can simultaneously run two consoles into the LM44 via AES and a third via analog inputs.

At this point, whether or not the system tech chooses to EQ in Lake or R1 is really up to the user. Although within R1, you would have control over individual amp channels/boxes/zones as opposed to just the all-encompassing left, right, sub or fill outputs.

I can't say that I've noticed any sonic difference between analog/digital conversion at the Lake or at the D80s. I do prefer to run AES for the entire signal path from console to amps when possible.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »

I love the Smaart integration in Lake Controller and the flexible routing options in LM26/44. I prefer bringing my LM26 whenever possible because of that.

Also, if you have to do some loudspeaker processing on the road you can roll some decent presets pretty fast. I've rebuilt presets sometimes for "speakers you're heard of" that didn't have the correct DSP because the owner didn't wish to buy it...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.