ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: INAUGURATION MICS  (Read 11800 times)

Shawn Keck

INAUGURATION MICS
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »

OK, who knows what the mics used for the Inauguration swearing in ceremony were? They were SM57 windscreens but they were not SM57's...and the two mics were different. I know Shure is developing a replacement for the 57 that will meet WHCA specs and still maintain the presidential "look", but nothing has been officially released. Anyone in the trenches there know what was used?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: INAUGURATION MICS
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »

OK, who knows what the mics used for the Inauguration swearing in ceremony were? They were SM57 windscreens but they were not SM57's...and the two mics were different. I know Shure is developing a replacement for the 57 that will meet WHCA specs and still maintain the presidential "look", but nothing has been officially released. Anyone in the trenches there know what was used?
They look like SM 57s to me, though the lighting casts a shadow on the house left mic making it look smaller.

The side by side rather than vertical dual clip that WHCA conceded to bugs me from a sound standpoint, but who cares about audio anyway...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Inauguration Mics
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »

They look like SM 57s to me, though the lighting casts a shadow on the house left mic making it look smaller.

The side by side rather than vertical dual clip that WHCA conceded to bugs me from a sound standpoint, but who cares about audio anyway...

Yeah, looks like 57s to me as well. And yeah, the side by side is stupid. It looks worse on camera and will cause phasing if both mics are ever on at the same time. Fortunately that is not the SOP.

Mac

Christian Tepfer

• Klanggestaltung Blog (German)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »

Yeah, looks like 57s to me as well. And yeah, the side by side is stupid. It looks worse on camera and will cause phasing if both mics are ever on at the same time. Fortunately that is not the SOP.

Mac
Isn't the second mic just for redundancy? At least that's what I always thought about the presidential set...
Christian Tepfer
christian at amanya dot de

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:15:42 PM »

Isn't the second mic just for redundancy? At least that's what I always thought about the presidential set...

It is with White House Communications, but other users who buy that mic mount may not use it that way. The second mic may also be used as a separate feed by WHCA, they are generally responsible for those 2 mics (although not always).

Mac

Rick Earl

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »

4 years ago it was a Shoeps.  One of my former students works for MSI and was on the gig, I will ask her.

She just confirmed it was again a Shoeps.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:27:34 PM by Rick Earl »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »

4 years ago it was a Shoeps.  One of my former students works for MSI and was on the gig, I will ask her.

She just confirmed it was again a Shoeps.

Condensor if it's calm, SM57 if it's windy?  That's what we do for outdoor lecterns.

Rick Earl

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »

Condensor if it's calm, SM57 if it's windy?  That's what we do for outdoor lecterns.

My guess would be Shoeps for everything, 57 for WHC SOP back-up without phantom.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »

Actually, the mic on the left looks like something different to me.  The collar on the windscreen looks to have. Thicker band where it meets the mic as if to make up for a smaller diameter.  And the two holes that are clearly visible where the xlr lock connects with the sm57 are not visible on the mic on the left.

Don't know what the mic is, but I suspect that the shoeps reference may be right on.  If MSI (or eighth day?  I heard from some friends that they saw a bunch of d&b delays that they put up)  did the rig, I can find out easily enough with a quick email.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Shawn Keck

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:29 PM »

The one on the left is definitely different...on a cut shot from the side you can see the difference, plus they both looked longer then the 57's, but that could have been camera angle.

I remember reading that there was a custom built mic for 2004, was wondering what was ultimately used this year.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.