ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: speaker replacement for SRX700 series subs  (Read 6476 times)

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
speaker replacement for SRX700 series subs
« on: January 21, 2013, 01:07:10 PM »

has anyone used something else with good results and a lower price tag in place of the JBL 2268H. I can get new drivers for the cost of a recone. Anyway, here's one that I found, your thoughts and other suggestions.

RCF L18P400
http://www.rcf.it/products/precision-transducers/low-frequency-transducers/l18p400

Garry
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: speaker replacement for SRX700 series subs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »

has anyone used something else with good results and a lower price tag in place of the JBL 2268H. I can get new drivers for the cost of a recone. Anyway, here's one that I found, your thoughts and other suggestions.

RCF L18P400
http://www.rcf.it/products/precision-transducers/low-frequency-transducers/l18p400

Garry

No.

Get the original reconed.  If you keep having problems with transducer damage in a 718 or 728 you have something else very wrong going on.

Also note that it is highly unlikely there is anything wrong with the motor or frame of the 2268, so why replace it?  Keep your SRX original, and if you find yourself wanting to replace them you'll find ready buyers.  Putting anything else in the box reduces the value to that of home built subs.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

I can get new drivers for the cost of a recone.

Ah.. you're paying WAY too much for a recone or you're buying cheap chinese knockoff drivers. Orange County has OEM JBL recones for this driver for $250 and aftermarket versions are available for a little over $100.. not that I'd suggest using them but just to give a reference, while I've never seen a complete 2268 for sale anywhere for anything close to that.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/RECNEPRC.html

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »

Ah.. you're paying WAY too much for a recone or you're buying cheap chinese knockoff drivers. Orange County has OEM JBL recones for this driver for $250 and aftermarket versions are available for a little over $100.. not that I'd suggest using them but just to give a reference, while I've never seen a complete 2268 for sale anywhere for anything close to that.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/RECNEPRC.html

sorry, I should clarify, when I said new drivers, I was speaking of speakers other than JBL. I have a quote for a reconing with aftermarket w/some JBL parts for $132 and another quote from an authorized JBL service center for $280.00. Pricing I've seen for a new 2268H was close to $500.00.

I was just wondering there was anything similar to the JBL that cost less. I have not given up on getting them redone by the JBL service center.

Garry
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »

No.

Get the original reconed.  If you keep having problems with transducer damage in a 718 or 728 you have something else very wrong going on.

Also note that it is highly unlikely there is anything wrong with the motor or frame of the 2268, so why replace it?  Keep your SRX original, and if you find yourself wanting to replace them you'll find ready buyers.  Putting anything else in the box reduces the value to that of home built subs.

good points
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 03:13:16 PM »

Use an authorzed service center and get the job done right. It may even be worth it to send you drivers to Pro Sound Services in Braintree, MA. Just as Tim states above, putting anything else into that cabinet is just wrong. Unless you use a 2242H, but those cost $1200 ea. Get the point?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »

Use an authorzed service center and get the job done right. It may even be worth it to send you drivers to Pro Sound Services in Braintree, MA. Just as Tim states above, putting anything else into that cabinet is just wrong. Unless you use a 2242H, but those cost $1200 ea. Get the point?

Bob and Tim, I hear you loud and clear. The buy once, cry once mentality fell out of my pocket for a moment there, I did go back and pick it up. So, I'll be doing it the right way.

glw
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Blake Courtney

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »

I agree with the OEM route for those cabs.

However I have a big pile of blown 2241's taken from various installs. The recone service I use, (same as bob's) has said that if run improperly or abused by a DJ the JBL is more likely to jump out of the VC gap. This results in mechanical damage as well as a burnt coil.

I have replaced drivers in several older SRX cabinets with B&C 18tbx100. Amazing results. And no more failures. Yet. All these boxes are in permanent installs, and resale value is not an issue.

So in my opinion. You could go 2 routes. Recone to OEM. or replace with the B&C, but keep the old driver in case you sell them.

John at ProSound Service in Braintree can help you with either route. Keep in mind that the B&C's are $300+. And no sub is DJ proof. Some can just take more abuse.

Blake

Bob and Tim, I hear you loud and clear. The buy once, cry once mentality fell out of my pocket for a moment there, I did go back and pick it up. So, I'll be doing it the right way.

glw

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »

I have a quote for a reconing with aftermarket w/some JBL parts for $132 and another quote from an authorized JBL service center for $280.00.
I would REALLY question the "with some JBL parts" part.  WHAT JBL parts?  A JBL kit comes already assembled-except for the gasket and dust cap.  Neither of which would add to the "suggested better quality".

Back when I was a reconer-there was a difference between the real JBL kits and the aftermarket ones. 

If I was going to continue to use the speakers I would go with factory parts.  If you are just looking at selling them-then go with aftermarket-AS LONG AS it is done by a qualified reconer.

NOTE: there are a lot of "apparent" qualified recones-some that do a lot of business-yet don't do a good job.  While reconing is not all that hard-it is easy to screw it up if you are not careful or are sloppy.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »

+1 Ivan. And there is a huge difference in the cone materials used by third party vendors. Stay w/ JBL.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:05:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.