ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: speaker replacement for SRX700 series subs  (Read 6477 times)

duane massey

Re: speaker replacement for SRX700 series subs
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »

Believe or not (and I don't recommend it) the club I've been working at replaced the originals in a pair of 728's w/ PV Low Riders. They destroyed all four drivers before I went to work there, and decided the expense of the recone was too much, especially considering the s/h.
Since they are only being used for fills in the back areas I have left them alone, and they actually sound OK.
On a side note, we have not had a single speaker failure since I started there, period.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:52 AM »

guys, thanks for the input. I'm convinced and will stay OEM.

I have (4)728s and (6)718s, this is the first failure. Well, I really shouldn't say failure, because I've never blown one. My son, who does sound with/for me had a gig that he got a little over zealous on, supporting a DC go-go band. Generally with Go-Go bands there is no such thing as too much bass.

glw

Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »

My son, who does sound with/for me had a gig that he got a little over zealous on, supporting a DC go-go band. Generally with Go-Go bands there is no such thing as too much bass.

glw
I did a number of go-go bands back in the 80's in the DC area.  I would never do them inside the city-to much risk.

Are there still a lot of band rivalries where they try to do anything to stop another band from playing?  Such as slowly cutting the snake with short hacksaw blades-shooting BB's into the speaker cones to shread them-unplugging power-stealing gear and so forth? 

On one show the conga player jumped off the stage with his conga stand and charged the FOH position because his congas weren't loud enough-yet the REST of the band was telling us to turn him DOWN!  Luckily the cops stopped him.  That pretty much ended that show.

That was pretty common back when I was doing it.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »

I did a number of go-go bands back in the 80's in the DC area.  I would never do them inside the city-to much risk.

Are there still a lot of band rivalries where they try to do anything to stop another band from playing?  Such as slowly cutting the snake with short hacksaw blades-shooting BB's into the speaker cones to shread them-unplugging power-stealing gear and so forth? 

On one show the conga player jumped off the stage with his conga stand and charged the FOH position because his congas weren't loud enough-yet the REST of the band was telling us to turn him DOWN!  Luckily the cops stopped him.  That pretty much ended that show.

That was pretty common back when I was doing it.

They graduated from assault with congas to shootings and other fun stuff.  That seems to have continued into some more contemporary genres.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Spenser Hamilton

speaker replacement for SRX700 series subs
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »

Your son deserves a medal, we've done dozens of gigs where I was certain we were going to be reconing some SRX cabs. Not a single failure in all the years we've owned the rig (aside from one overheated crossover in a 725).
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

speaker replacement for SRX700 series subs
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.