ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: TCP/IP networking primer - Please Read and Add Questions and Comments  (Read 78966 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: TCP/IP networking primer - Please Read and Add Questions and Comments
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 03:47:09 AM »

I guess I don't think it is that weird. There are plenty of devices out there that can use the default gateway to reach out to something elsewhere on the network. Working from my personal knowledge of the MediaMatrix NIONs I deal with daily, if you have them connected to a larger network that is accessed through a router, you can keep the NION's multicast traffic between themselves down within the context of your larger network. IT guys seemingly hate multicast traffic because it is too easily abused, so they like to filter and block it when they can. However, I can still use a tablet to bring up a user control screen through the web interface since there is a WiFi access point on the network and using the router on the network I can still access the NIONs and manipulate the system remotely. Likewise, the NIONs can also send control information to other devices on other parts of the network that are on the other side of the router if you give them the default gateway.
It is just a part of the standard network stack. I'm glad to see that Yamaha has thought far enough ahead to include it. It should be in there because it is part of the IP communications protocol. Your device needs to know where to send requests when it doesn't already know where to send them. Whether your device needs that ability is another question altogether. With the NION platform you can just leave the field blank if you do not have a router on the network for it to communicate with.

Josh, everything you say is correct.  My comments were made for touring systems.  Installed systems may have requirements to reach other networks, switching gear etc.  If I was going out on the road I would also put a small file server running FreeNAS to keep common documents.  The other day we had a band that had their set list and other things they needed out in the cloud on a Google Docs and we had no Internet service or cellular data coverage.  We actually had to drive into town, download the docs so the show could start.  When IP became common place in live production and everyone knew that I was an IT guy I was extremely popular.  Now I have folks trained they won't call me until they have tried to ping a few devices.  The oddest thing I ever had was the in house guy checked the IP's on the iPOD's the band was using for their monitor mixes and he told me the IP's were too close the sound could "bleed over" I was so flummoxed I didn't know what to say.  Reminded of the story of a guy showing up with a rig for show, the rider said no Behringer.  There was an inactive (not even plugged in and certainly not in the signal chain) Behringer crossover or GeQ in the rack.  The manager insisted it would degrade the performance and made them take it out of the rack and put it in the truck.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 11:57:59 AM »

For the record, when I brought up CIDR, I was in no way recommending people learn vlsms or subnettibg at any capacity.

CIDR is simply a different way to express a subnet mask. 255.255.255.0 = /24.

That is pretty much all the home networking/audio networking person needs to know to keep things simple IMO. I've needed to use CIDR in home networking before. That is why I brought it up.

Nothting about complex addressing schemes. :)

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 02:32:23 PM »

If I was going out on the road I would also put a small file server running FreeNAS to keep common documents.  The other day we had a band that had their set list and other things they needed out in the cloud on a Google Docs and we had no Internet service or cellular data coverage.  We actually had to drive into town, download the docs so the show could start.

Yep, here again, if it is something that critical to your show, you NEED to be bringing it with you.

The oddest thing I ever had was the in house guy checked the IP's on the iPOD's the band was using for their monitor mixes and he told me the IP's were too close the sound could "bleed over" I was so flummoxed I didn't know what to say.

Now that is funny!

Reminded of the story of a guy showing up with a rig for show, the rider said no Behringer.  There was an inactive (not even plugged in and certainly not in the signal chain) Behringer crossover or GeQ in the rack.  The manager insisted it would degrade the performance and made them take it out of the rack and put it in the truck.

Oh my!!! Out, out evil devil!!! You must get out of the rack or you are going to destroy our performance! LoL!!!

Thanks for those! Hahaha
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Brad Harris

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »

Program question on monitoring IP/MAC addresses with either iPad or PC/MAC computers

Usually, I'm out with 20-60 units of networked inventory (Tx, Rx, Amps, Consoles) across a network on a show. Our inventory of equipment is probably close to the 1000 unit mark.

I've been using Fing on my iPad for monitoring onsite show use (quick way to see what gear is on the network).

I've found programming with it (ie, entering its a UHFR or G3, 9000, etc) to be a little annoying, as it seems to randomly remembers units from day to day, and usually not. (I know it doesn't support seeing different units on different networks ... I keep my AP and DHCP server the same across all of them until I eventually replace them every few years).

Is there a good (cheapish) app to keep this information? (preferably based on MAC addresses) without going into a 'terminal' application and sorting through the information (Like Fing on MAC - I like the iPad app)

BRad

edit: - Autocorrect
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:25:21 PM by Brad Harris »

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »

I've been using http://10base-t.com/iphone-ipod-software/ipscanner-mobile/ on my Mac and iPad. 

Is there a good (cheapish) app to keep this information? (preferably based on MAC addresses) without going into a 'terminal' application and sorting through the information (Like Fing on MAC - I like the iPad app)

BRad

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
Re: TCP/IP networking primer
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2017, 05:15:33 PM »

192.168.1.255 works on my network.  224.0.0.1 does not.

224.0.0.0 is a multicast address and many switches (especially pro/consumer level gear) block multicast by default so that may work on larger networks it will rarely work on smaller ones.

Theo White

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »

For the record, when I brought up CIDR, I was in no way recommending people learn vlsms or subnettibg at any capacity.

CIDR is simply a different way to express a subnet mask. 255.255.255.0 = /24.

That is pretty much all the home networking/audio networking person needs to know to keep things simple IMO. I've needed to use CIDR in home networking before. That is why I brought it up.

Nothting about complex addressing schemes. :)

Classless IP adresses are typically used with WAN connections.  Classful IP addressing, especially using Class C addresses, is more than sufficient for small private networks.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:56:57 PM by Theo White »

simonmccaffrey

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 09:22:57 PM »

Program question on monitoring IP/MAC addresses with either iPad or PC/MAC computers

Usually, I'm out with 20-60 units of networked inventory (Tx, Rx, Amps, Consoles) across a network on a show. Our inventory of equipment is probably close to the 1000 unit mark.

I've been using Fing on my iPad for monitoring onsite show use (quick way to see what gear is on the network).

I've found programming with it (ie, entering its a UHFR or G3, 9000, etc) to be a little annoying, as it seems to randomly remembers units from day to day, and usually not. (I know it doesn't support seeing different units on different networks ... I keep my AP and DHCP server the same across all of them until I eventually replace them every few years).

BRad

LanScan on the Mac is really good...i've tried others but settled on that...it's quick to click on ips or mac addresses and copy and paste them...and you can write in hostnames for things that don't have hostnames, makes it quick to track things down and keep an eye on your network...think it was about 5 quid...no bubbly graphic nonsense, just a easy to read list...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:59:45 PM by simonmccaffrey »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 09:22:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.