ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digigram ES8MIC Ethersound Hiss  (Read 3163 times)

Pedro Rodriguez

Digigram ES8MIC Ethersound Hiss
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

Hello everybody.

I do AV in a hotel in which, we have a Nexo GEO Line array. We use a Digigram ES8MIC Ethersound unit to send signal through with a CAT-5 cable. Since I can remember, there has been a very loud audible "hiss" that sounds similar to a line level signal being plugged into a mic level input with the gain turned up. We have done tests, and changed cables, and the only thing that seems to stop the hiss is to either turn the amps down to 50% of capacity, or, unplug the CAT-5 cable, which renders the line array useless. We are all in agreement that either the unit is not working well, or the A/D converter is damaged, or that there is a setting in the software that we do not know about that is giving us the issue.

If anyone has any hints or tips or is having the same problem, please post or send me a message so we can figure this out.

Thank You.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Hiss
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »

We have done tests, and changed cables, and the only thing that seems to stop the hiss is to either turn the amps down to 50% of capacity

I am not familiar with that device, but FWIW, there is no such thing as "turning down the amps to 50% of capacity". The knob on the front of the amp changes the gain of the signal path from the input to the output of the amp. It does not decrease the output capability of the amp at all.

Generally, hiss is the result of poor system gain structure, which can often be improved by turning down the amps. A more complete description of your system, and what kinds of signal levels you are running at various points along the signal chain may make it possible to diagnose your problem on the Internet. So far there is just not enough information to have a clue.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Hiss
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.