ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What was the first live digital console?  (Read 19707 times)

duane massey

Re: What was the first live digital console?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:16:39 AM »

Harrison console in a studio here in Houston. Early 80's, believe it was Inergy Studios. They were still learning how to use it when we went in and cut 2 songs.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 02:37:45 AM »

Harrison console in a studio here in Houston. Early 80's, believe it was Inergy Studios. They were still learning how to use it when we went in and cut 2 songs.
There were users of Harrison consoles making digital recordings "Early 80's ", but there were no digital Harrison consoles in the early '80's.

Rick Earl

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 09:51:08 AM »

There were users of Harrison consoles making digital recordings "Early 80's ", but there were no digital Harrison consoles in the early '80's.
It was in  the late 80's early 90's that Harrison and AT&T / Lucent were working on a digital project.  AT&T had a digital core.  I don't recall seeing more than one prototype.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »

It was in  the late 80's early 90's that Harrison and AT&T / Lucent were working on a digital project.  AT&T had a digital core.  I don't recall seeing more than one prototype.

I recall in the early days of Digital consoles that the inside joke was that the digital console customers were like the one fox being chased by fifty dogs in the fox hunt...  Many of those dogs gave up chasing the too few foxes along the way.

Yamaha was clearly serious about making a commercial product and kept chasing despite probably losing money in the early years.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Rick Earl

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 10:25:54 AM »

I found this:

<a href="http://www.thefreelibrary.com/MCA+RELEASES+FIRST+SINGLE+MIXED+USING+AT%26T%27S+DISQ+SYSTEM-a015140255">MCA RELEASES FIRST SINGLE MIXED USING AT&T'S DISQ SYSTEM</a>

I don't think it lasted long.  I remember getting to see a prototype on a Harrison with talk about it becoming a live solution too.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:29:57 AM by Rick Earl »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »

I found this:

<a href="http://www.thefreelibrary.com/MCA+RELEASES+FIRST+SINGLE+MIXED+USING+AT%26T%27S+DISQ+SYSTEM-a015140255">MCA RELEASES FIRST SINGLE MIXED USING AT&T'S DISQ SYSTEM</a>

I don't think it lasted long.  I remember getting to see a prototype on a Harrison with talk about it becoming a live solution too.
And the first digital recording was Flim and the BB's song Tricycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flim_%26_the_BB%27s
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »

After doing some digging, it may have been an automated board, but not a true digital console. Harrison released the SeriesTen in 1985, but I'm not certain this was not a digital board, rather an analog board that used VCA's throughout.
I'll do some more digging just for my own curiosity, and I'm pretty certain it was not a digital board, but it was in '82 or '83. Maybe an MCI or ???? That was a long, long time ago, and we only spent 2-3 days on the project.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 07:01:36 PM »

After doing some digging, it may have been an automated board, but not a true digital console. Harrison released the SeriesTen in 1985, but I'm not certain this was not a digital board, rather an analog board that used VCA's throughout.
I'll do some more digging just for my own curiosity, and I'm pretty certain it was not a digital board, but it was in '82 or '83. Maybe an MCI or ???? That was a long, long time ago, and we only spent 2-3 days on the project.

I doubt there was a digital Harrison that far back. Harrison was building a digitally controlled analog console, it might have been called the Harrison Live. They built the ShowCo ShowConsole, which was also digitally controlled analog.

Mac

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »

And the first digital recording was Flim and the BB's song Tricycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flim_%26_the_BB%27s

1977, Yanni went from the Flomer brothers band Archangel, (formerly US Pipe), to Chameleon.
Around 1980 Yanni recorded his first album at Sound 80 and Cookhouse, by that time I think a Sony PCM-3324 had already replaced the 3M prototype digital recorder used by Flim and the BB's.
Yanni managed to wrangle one of the early PCM-3324 from Sony for recording in his home studio.
Most of us in the industry at that time in Minneapolis were making (well) under $15,000 a year, to see one of our guys get a recorder that cost over 10 times that was amazing.

I remember Rob Colby showing me the Yamaha DMP7 used for keys around 1987 at Prince's Paisley Park soundstage.
First time I'd ever seen faders move by themselves while sober…

Art
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:10:11 AM by Art Welter »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

First time I'd ever seen faders move by themselves while sober…

Art
\

Doggone drunken faders, anyhow......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.