Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

What was the first live digital console?

(1/5) > >>

Liam Flaherty:
Interested to hear about what you would consider the first live digital console and any early experiences.

Liam

John Roberts {JR}:
My first recollection is a big TOA digital console but not exactly a touring or bar band product like now, with lower price points.

JR

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Liam Flaherty on January 16, 2013, 09:33:58 AM ---Interested to hear about what you would consider the first live digital console and any early experiences.

Liam

--- End quote ---

Yamaha DMP-7 was the first commonly available live digital console I have used. I think it came out in 1987. After that it was the PM-1D which I think came out in 1999 or 2000. Digital had been in studios before this, and there may have been a few one off custom digital consoles used live, but the first motorized fader console I used was a DMP-7. Very early on there was a French console, I think called Sage, that was intriguing and may be the first place I saw a "selected channel area" where all the controls for a single channel were.

Mac

Andrew Broughton:
The first fully-digital console was probably the Neve DSP-1, (1983) but it was a behemoth studio console, not live.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/56149271/Neve-DSP-Desk-Brochure-1983

I'm sure there were other digital consoles created between '83 and '87, but maybe not anything that could really be portable or used live?

Liam Flaherty:
The Neve DSP was indeed the first fully digital desk. It's interesting as there seems to be very little documented information about early live desks. I did think that Yamaha were the first to produce a commonly used console but wasn't sure exactly when.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version