Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

OT: Where are ya from and what else do ya do?

<< < (3/16) > >>

AllenDeneau:
Thanks Bob, I'll check it out. I realized after i posted this I hadn't even filled in my location on my profile, that's fixed now..

Rick, cool area to be in for sure, I love Starved Rock. Yeah We first lived in Naperville when we moved to that area but couldn't stant the taxes or traffic so we built in Montgomery right by the Cat plant. We lived there from 2004-2011 when we moved to Tennessee. During our time there Montgomery was, at one point, the fastest growing city in Illinois and Kendall County was the fastest growing county. Lots of people were moving west from Naperville & Aurora to reduce their living expenses and BOOM montgomery and Oswego really exploded. Certainly miss our friends but not the traffic or costs. Have you ever been to upstaging in Sycamore?

Thanks for playing guys, it's always cool to get to know some folks.

Jordan Wolf:

--- Quote ---1. Where are you located?
--- End quote ---
I live in Collingswood, NJ.  After getting married back in August, my wife and I moved from our respective places into the twin house where her grandparents used to live.  She's an elementary teacher, so our hours don't always line up.  :-)

--- Quote ---2. Is this all you do or do you have other business?
--- End quote ---
I am a full-time A/V Technician.  The company I work for mostly deals with corporate events, but we also do social functions and the like when they come around.

--- Quote ---3. How'd you get into it?
--- End quote ---
I've always been fascinated by sound.  I practiced and performed piano for 11 years, and the ability to manipulate the sound in a way that was pleasing to my ears (and, hopefully, those of my listeners) was ingrained at an early age (4).  When I was age 7 or so, I remember being in the FOH area of our church at that time.  My dad was helping out in some way (don't remember) and I thought all the controls looked cool.  From that point, I investigated further, asked questions, and began to run the sound at my school for assemblies, concerts, etc.  After that, I began running sound at my church and youth group. 

When I went to college, I worked in the PAC there, doing anything and everything, but still focusing on audio.  I did news broadcasts, radio broadcasts (local and remote), and even audio-for-video/post-production/Foley/ADR.
After college, I worked at Home Depot for about a year and kept my skills sharp mixing shows when I had the time.  I kept browsing for jobs openings all over the place, applied to dozens, and kept getting turned down - heck, I applied for my current job at least 3 times and only after the 3rd time did they contact me for an over-the-phone interview.

In March I will be at the company for 2 years, and I'm enjoying myself very much.  Gigs vary from small boardrooms to large ballrooms and convention halls, from a 12-channel mixer to digital consoles and multiple automixers, etc.  I also do a good bit of video work (switching/playback, camera op) and lighting (stage washes, uplighting).

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: AllenDeneau on January 15, 2013, 01:20:38 PM ---Thanks Bob, I'll check it out. I realized after i posted this I hadn't even filled in my location on my profile, that's fixed now..

Rick, cool area to be in for sure, I love Starved Rock. Yeah We first lived in Naperville when we moved to that area but couldn't stant the taxes or traffic so we built in Montgomery right by the Cat plant. We lived there from 2004-2011 when we moved to Tennessee. During our time there Montgomery was, at one point, the fastest growing city in Illinois and Kendall County was the fastest growing county. Lots of people were moving west from Naperville & Aurora to reduce their living expenses and BOOM montgomery and Oswego really exploded. Certainly miss our friends but not the traffic or costs. Have you ever been to upstaging in Sycamore?

Thanks for playing guys, it's always cool to get to know some folks.

--- End quote ---

Never been to Upstaging but I am familiar with the company.  I remember when they were doing 30 par can shows and it was a big deal.  They have certainly moved on to bigger and better things, including corporate events as well as set and lighting design and production for major tours.

Mark Olsen:

--- Quote from: AllenDeneau on January 15, 2013, 01:57:37 AM ---1. Where are you located
2. Is this all you do or do you have other business
3. How'd you get into it

--- End quote ---

1. I'm located in Canberra, Australia .. so G'Day from Down Under.

2. I'm full time military and do sound and lighting on the weekends, just cause apparently I didn't have enough to do!!

3. I've been doing sound and lighting for churches, events and theatres ever since I was in school. As I've moved around the country with work I've always done sound and lights for the various churches I've attended and developed great relationships with local production companies.

More often than not I've ended up with part time work with local venues or companies in the area. I'm lucky here in Canberra that I've got work with a fairly large company and learning a lot more about how the big boys do it.

Been able to study at college as I've posted around to add to the education from the school of hard knocks. I've been lucky that the military has trained me with truck licenses, forklift license and rigging permits, so with all that it makes me fairly employable around here.

This year I've started a small production company that is primarily focussed on helping church and charity organisations in the local area to spread their message. Not a lot of money involved in this, but its kind of my way to give back to the community that's been so good to me while I've been in the military.

Mark

Mike Diack:
1: Auckland, New Zealand
2: 95% Electronics engineer/general practitioner (though not in the same ballpark as JR) 5% Soundie.
3: Got into it 35 years ago as all my cohort were musicians and I had zilch musical talent, hence soundie was the only slot available (other than squint, and I hate ladders). Never really got out of it and it provides a different view on the world to sitting in front of an oscilloscope all day.
M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version