ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Where are ya from and what else do ya do?  (Read 61286 times)

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
Re: OT: Where are ya from and what else do ya do?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 01:20:38 PM »

Thanks Bob, I'll check it out. I realized after i posted this I hadn't even filled in my location on my profile, that's fixed now..

Rick, cool area to be in for sure, I love Starved Rock. Yeah We first lived in Naperville when we moved to that area but couldn't stant the taxes or traffic so we built in Montgomery right by the Cat plant. We lived there from 2004-2011 when we moved to Tennessee. During our time there Montgomery was, at one point, the fastest growing city in Illinois and Kendall County was the fastest growing county. Lots of people were moving west from Naperville & Aurora to reduce their living expenses and BOOM montgomery and Oswego really exploded. Certainly miss our friends but not the traffic or costs. Have you ever been to upstaging in Sycamore?

Thanks for playing guys, it's always cool to get to know some folks.
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »

1. Where are you located?
I live in Collingswood, NJ.  After getting married back in August, my wife and I moved from our respective places into the twin house where her grandparents used to live.  She's an elementary teacher, so our hours don't always line up.  :-)

2. Is this all you do or do you have other business?
I am a full-time A/V Technician.  The company I work for mostly deals with corporate events, but we also do social functions and the like when they come around.

3. How'd you get into it?
I've always been fascinated by sound.  I practiced and performed piano for 11 years, and the ability to manipulate the sound in a way that was pleasing to my ears (and, hopefully, those of my listeners) was ingrained at an early age (4).  When I was age 7 or so, I remember being in the FOH area of our church at that time.  My dad was helping out in some way (don't remember) and I thought all the controls looked cool.  From that point, I investigated further, asked questions, and began to run the sound at my school for assemblies, concerts, etc.  After that, I began running sound at my church and youth group. 

When I went to college, I worked in the PAC there, doing anything and everything, but still focusing on audio.  I did news broadcasts, radio broadcasts (local and remote), and even audio-for-video/post-production/Foley/ADR.
After college, I worked at Home Depot for about a year and kept my skills sharp mixing shows when I had the time.  I kept browsing for jobs openings all over the place, applied to dozens, and kept getting turned down - heck, I applied for my current job at least 3 times and only after the 3rd time did they contact me for an over-the-phone interview.

In March I will be at the company for 2 years, and I'm enjoying myself very much.  Gigs vary from small boardrooms to large ballrooms and convention halls, from a 12-channel mixer to digital consoles and multiple automixers, etc.  I also do a good bit of video work (switching/playback, camera op) and lighting (stage washes, uplighting).
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rick Powell

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »

Thanks Bob, I'll check it out. I realized after i posted this I hadn't even filled in my location on my profile, that's fixed now..

Rick, cool area to be in for sure, I love Starved Rock. Yeah We first lived in Naperville when we moved to that area but couldn't stant the taxes or traffic so we built in Montgomery right by the Cat plant. We lived there from 2004-2011 when we moved to Tennessee. During our time there Montgomery was, at one point, the fastest growing city in Illinois and Kendall County was the fastest growing county. Lots of people were moving west from Naperville & Aurora to reduce their living expenses and BOOM montgomery and Oswego really exploded. Certainly miss our friends but not the traffic or costs. Have you ever been to upstaging in Sycamore?

Thanks for playing guys, it's always cool to get to know some folks.

Never been to Upstaging but I am familiar with the company.  I remember when they were doing 30 par can shows and it was a big deal.  They have certainly moved on to bigger and better things, including corporate events as well as set and lighting design and production for major tours.

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:06 AM »

1. Where are you located
2. Is this all you do or do you have other business
3. How'd you get into it

1. I'm located in Canberra, Australia .. so G'Day from Down Under.

2. I'm full time military and do sound and lighting on the weekends, just cause apparently I didn't have enough to do!!

3. I've been doing sound and lighting for churches, events and theatres ever since I was in school. As I've moved around the country with work I've always done sound and lights for the various churches I've attended and developed great relationships with local production companies.

More often than not I've ended up with part time work with local venues or companies in the area. I'm lucky here in Canberra that I've got work with a fairly large company and learning a lot more about how the big boys do it.

Been able to study at college as I've posted around to add to the education from the school of hard knocks. I've been lucky that the military has trained me with truck licenses, forklift license and rigging permits, so with all that it makes me fairly employable around here.

This year I've started a small production company that is primarily focussed on helping church and charity organisations in the local area to spread their message. Not a lot of money involved in this, but its kind of my way to give back to the community that's been so good to me while I've been in the military.

Mark

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »

1: Auckland, New Zealand
2: 95% Electronics engineer/general practitioner (though not in the same ballpark as JR) 5% Soundie.
3: Got into it 35 years ago as all my cohort were musicians and I had zilch musical talent, hence soundie was the only slot available (other than squint, and I hate ladders). Never really got out of it and it provides a different view on the world to sitting in front of an oscilloscope all day.
M

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »

1. I live/work in the Tyler, Texas area which is south-east of the Dallas area.

2. My "day" job is IT Support at a real estate office and I'm a Computer Information Systems student at the University of Texas at Tyler. As far as live sound goes I run sound for a worship band which regularly plays for a Tuesday night service aimed at youth and college aged people. The service takes place in a small baptist church which, on Sundays, is attended by mainly older people. We do a contemporary service on Tuesdays with a full band. The band also plays for youth rallys and similar events around the East Texas area when asked.

3. I got started mixing sound at another church, the one that I grew up in. I was been "trained" as a backup on their system since I was maybe 14-15(I'm 23 now). Most recently I helped them instal a new x32 in their sanctuary and (after teaching myself how to use it) taught their sound guy how to use it. I'd say most of my knowledge was learned from reading online(here and other sites), talking to various sound techs, and from a lot of trial and error. At that church "running sound" consists of pushing a few faders and not much else(only piano, pulpit, wireless lapel, CD/Tape, and someone singing a special to a CD) so beyond the basics there wasn't much to be learned there.

I love music but have little in the way of musical talent/ability and many of my friends(the band that I mentioned above) are very talented and good at playing(they can all play several different instruments and I never know who's going to play what; i.e. the drummer might decide to play bass and the bass player switches to electric and the electric player switches to drums...). So I ended up being the "sound guy".

Tommy Peel

Jared Koopman

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »

1. I live/work in the Tyler, Texas area which is south-east of the Dallas area.
Tommy Peel

I went to school at LeTourneau...just down the road from you. :)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »

I went to school at LeTourneau...just down the road from you. :)

I've been to several concerts at their Belcher Center. Best concert venue this side of Dallas; last one I saw there was Needtobreathe and they had very good sound(as have most other shows I've seen there although they always bring in a system and don't use the house system).

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »

1. Originally from Ohio but now in Louisville, KY or in some random tour bus bunk.

2. Welded and did machine work prior to this but now this is all I do.

3. Went to The Recording Workshop in Chillicothe, OH about 12-13 years ago, came home only to find out that no studios were hiring, got a job at a local club and learned everything I could. (had some good teachers of what to do and some of what not to do) After that I did some local stagehand stuff before hooking up with one of the larger production companies in the area. (actually the only one that can do stage, lighting, roof, sound, barricade, etc without calling someone else) Learned more. Then I ended up on tour doing FOH and some TM'ing. Now I try to avoid that tour managing crap unless it pays really good.

Nick Simon

• Dark Side of the Moon, MS
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 04:44:39 PM »

Hey fellas...  I'm just a good -ol- boy from Northeast Mississippi.  I've been hanging around with musicians and bands since I was about 12. Never really was able to pick up on any sexy instruments like the guitar or drums, lol, but played trumpet in jr and high school.. After high school, I went on the road with a local club band for a couple years as a roadie and light guy in the late 70's. Then worked at a club for a couple more years as a dj / bartender / roadie.  Started working for a paper machinery manufacturer going on 34 years ago in several positions. Although I never really did much sound work, I learned some basic concepts through the years and always stood next to the consoles at concerts, etc. and talked to the techs. (as much as they would, lol) In 99, I started going to a church regularly and they were building a new sanctuary and needed a sound guy..Since I had previous "experience", I became the guy.. ;)  I've helped out at a few gigs here and there with local acts, and now I am one of two rotating sound techs at my new church, with a full band that does CCM like Jesus Culture, etc.
We are moving locations and are in the process of installing a new system of powered line array, x-32, IEM's, the works... moving up from a Peavey 24FX and QSC KW series, can you say, from a Taurus to a Vette?  I think I have a pretty good ear / mix, but a lot of this stuff is over my head, like 4th order cuts and crap.... ;D  But I love it...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 04:44:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.