ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 vs. Behringer X32  (Read 19797 times)

Brian Charbobs

PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 vs. Behringer X32
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »

Here are some videos you might like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebbHExYWjHQ
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
Re: PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2 vs. Behringer X32
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »

Note that these vids are produced by Presonus.
(No dog in this fight as I own both an X32 and an SL24.4.2)
M
(or is that two dogs?)

Rob Dellwood

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »

M
(or is that two dogs?)

As someone who owns an X32 and also mixes regularly on the SL boards, I can tell you that these videos are deceptive.  The tech in the videos is clearly not very familiar with the X32, and in the series, he often uses the 'long way around' to make it seem worse when demonstrating on the X32.  Not cool. 

Jason Vanick

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »

M
(or is that two dogs?)

Presonus's lack of flying faders did it for me... when you're mixing remote and going back and forth between a ipad and the console, not having flying faders makes life REALLY bad, really quick.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »

Produced by someone with a dog in the fight... so I hope you don't expect us to view this as objective.

As much as I didn't like the StudioLive and as much as I still have problems with Behringer's abuse of intellectual property and turning out some really shitty gear (and some okay gear, too), Presonus got their ass handed to them with the X32.  There is an order of magnitude difference between them and no amount of spin in a youtube video will change that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:28:13 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »

Produced by someone with a dog in the fight... so I hope you don't expect us to view this as objective.

As much as I didn't like the StudioLive and as much as I still have problems with Behringer's abuse of intellectual property and turning out some really shitty gear (and some okay gear, too), Presonus got their ass handed to them with the X32.  There is an order of magnitude difference between them and no amount of spin in a youtube video will change that.

I just ran across the videos and wanted to share them with people that use this equipment. Nothing more nothing less.
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »

I seriously doubt anybody forgets to hit "select" that many times, especially one that works for a larger company.

Funny to watch though.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »

Produced by someone with a dog in the fight...
Presonus got their ass handed to them with the X32.  There is an order of magnitude difference between them and no amount of spin in a youtube video will change that.

Agreed. With all the time the X32 was "coming soon" I'd imagined they'd be trying to put something out to shame it. With better brand reputation, the right product should have crushed the X32. I assume they've got something coming, but its a bit late.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »

Agreed. With all the time the X32 was "coming soon" I'd imagined they'd be trying to put something out to shame it. With better brand reputation, the right product should have crushed the X32. I assume they've got something coming, but its a bit late.

I agree.

Presonus has pretty much done nothing with their formula since its introduction.  They have made different versions (one smaller, one larger), but the devices all share the same architecture.  No improvements to the architecture.

You can only sit on your laurels for so long before another company comes along and eats your lunch ;)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:48 PM »

I seriously doubt anybody forgets to hit "select" that many times, especially one that works for a larger company.

Funny to watch though.

Haha not to mention that you have to hit select for every other channel control except gain on the Presonus! But when it comes to gain... select blows this guys mind.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:50:53 PM »

I didn't see the video for channels 25-32 on the studiolive. I can't seem to find the digital snake video as well. Different link?

Douglas R. Allen

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 07:32:52 PM »

You know this "us vs. them" mentality is silly and unprofessional.  I happen to like the Personus because it does all that I need and is very quick and easy to use in a live situation.  I think the Behringer is a much better choice for those that need the extra functionallity that it offers.  Both are useful tools and I'm glad we have the choice.

Rob Dellwood

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »

You know this "us vs. them" mentality is silly and unprofessional.  I happen to like the Personus because it does all that I need and is very quick and easy to use in a live situation.  I think the Behringer is a much better choice for those that need the extra functionallity that it offers.  Both are useful tools and I'm glad we have the choice.

That's all well and good, but the thread was in response to Presonus putting out what many people believe to be deceptive videos on YouTube, trying to make the X32 look bad in comparison.  The X32 owners were not amused and simply pointed out what they did. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »

That's all well and good, but the thread was in response to Presonus putting out what many people believe to be deceptive videos on YouTube, trying to make the X32 look bad in comparison.  The X32 owners were not amused and simply pointed out what they did.

I believe the "sour grapes" videos referenced are in turn a response to Behringer releasing this:

http://www.lifepr.de/inaktiv/mm-music-group/Rick-Naqvi-Chooses-BEHRINGER/boxid/351258

The implication here being that a Presonus higher-up was somehow preferring the X32 to their own product.  Presonus issued a pamphlet in response saying that, yes, Mr. Naqvi did indeed purchase an X32 which was then taken back to Presonus headquarters for testing and evaluation.

I believe it is common practice for manufacturers to possess products from the competition.  It has been said that Behringer in the past was more known for buying competitors products, reverse engineering them and then marketing the clones.  The current incarnation of the company appears to have risen  above that.

I don't judge either of the outfits.  I just wanted to present the "other side".  I don't care who started the fight or who called who what name.  But there are always at least two sides to every story.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 11:31:57 PM »

Amazing how many fanboys one decent and well supported (to this point) product can create. Almost like watching a bus load of lemmings take a tour of the grand canyon.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 03:22:41 AM »

Amazing how many fanboys one decent and well supported (to this point) product can create. Almost like watching a bus load of lemmings take a tour of the grand canyon.

Don't mistake my ability to discern features and practicality for endorsement.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »

I didn't see the video for channels 25-32 on the studiolive. I can't seem to find the digital snake video as well. Different link?
I believe they're with the one covering scene recall.

Along with the seemingly intentional misoperation of the channel selct buttons I found it interesting that the video did not mention the fact that the difference in the operation of the trim just may be related to the X32 setting being recallable while those of the StudioLive are not.

I don't have a dog in the fight but these videos plus the copy of "A Tale of Two Mixers" from Presonus that I saw do seem to suggest that Presonus may be focusing on the 'low hanging fruit' that will take what is presented at face value.  Its a shame to see them apparently resort to that approach.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »

Once again I don't miss being in those trenches...  :-(

pox on both their houses.

They're just mixers neither of which are supreme examples of the SOTA. Both are values in different ways with different compromises.

The consumer energy behind conflicts like this is just human nature's desire to justify purchase decisions already made to not look stupid, while this does kind of look stupid and pits peers against each other. Maybe it's the global warming that makes everybody a little crazy.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »

Maybe it's the global warming that makes everybody a little crazy.

JR

Global warming causes heated argument?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »

Global warming causes heated argument?

Argument shift is a natural cycle, there is no evidence to prove argument warming.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 12:30:12 PM »

Almost like watching a bus load of lemmings take a tour of the grand canyon.

That is the best line I have heard in a long time!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:10 PM »

Don't mistake my ability to discern features and practicality for endorsement.

Not intended for you Mr. Tim. Your abilities are recognized and respected by me.  ;)
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

It is not just X32 owners taking issue.  These videos have been referenced in multiple forums and discussion groups and some people appear to be perceiving them to supposedly be unbiased comparisons.   Being 'professional' is about more than just the products and in that context those videos and the "A Tale of Two Mixers" seem a step in the wrong direction for Presonus, a perception that just increases the longer they continue to promote them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.