ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL5 DCA Mute Pre-Fade Mix  (Read 17561 times)

Chris Roemmich

Yamaha CL5 DCA Mute Pre-Fade Mix
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »

Hello,

We recently switched from a Soundcraft MH3 to a Yamaha CL5. We mix both FOH and monitors on the board. All of our monitor mixes are pre-fader. On the MH3, muting a VCA would mute the channels assigned to the VCA in the pre-fader aux mixs. However, on the CL5 turning off a DCA does not mute the channels in pre-fader mixs. Is there any way to mute channels in a mix when they are muted by a DCA on the CL5? I suspect mute groups would work.. but I've never really liked using them.

UPDATE: Currently the only way to mute the channels is to use a mute group. I have contacted Yamaha to see if they will add the "DCA Mute Target" setting from the PM5D to the CL series.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:01:03 PM by Chris Roemmich »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Yamaha CL5 DCA Mute Pre-Fade Mix
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

I'm 99% certain that muting DCAs also mutes the mix outputs, as that is what I normally do during intermissions and don't have sound running on stage. It may be an option in the User Defined area of the OS. I'm not in front of my console at the moment, but let me dig through my manual.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:51:19 PM »

Ok, I'm not sure where it is, but I just verified on our CL5 that; when you send a channel to a prefade mix out put, and assign that channel to a DCA group, and you mute the DCA group Master, that it also mutes that channel's signal to the prefade mix send outputs.

Is it possible that you have something routed to that mix output that is not assigned to a DCA group, and thus not controlled by the DCA mute function?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »

A thought: Could there be a difference depending on whether or not the mix is set "pre eq" in setup?

I'm not at my CL5, so I can't test.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »

Chris, what firmware version are you running?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:42:05 PM »

Hmm.

That's a bit non-intuitive of Yamaha. Muting the DCA (by my way of thinking) should be the same as pulling the DCA fader to the bottom, which should only affect post-fader sends. If it mutes pre-fade sends then that "DCA mute" is functioning differently than I would expect, and more like a mute group than a DCA mute.

That being said, I've never really looked into it, so maybe all consoles work that way.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »

Hello,

We recently switched from a Soundcraft MH3 to a Yamaha CL5. We mix both FOH and monitors on the board. All of our monitor mixes are pre-fader. On the MH3, muting a VCA would mute the channels assigned to the VCA in the pre-fader aux mixs. However, on the CL5 turning off a DCA does not mute the channels in pre-fader mixs. Is there any way to mute channels in a mix when they are muted by a DCA on the CL5? I suspect mute groups would work.. but I've never really liked using them.

Thanks!

Haven't been much on the CL5 yet, but on the PM1D, input channels that are assigned to a DCA will not have the monitor outputs muted when the input DCA master is muted (unlike the MH3).

Chris Roemmich

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »

Ok, I'm not sure where it is, but I just verified on our CL5 that; when you send a channel to a prefade mix out put, and assign that channel to a DCA group, and you mute the DCA group Master, that it also mutes that channel's signal to the prefade mix send outputs.

Is it possible that you have something routed to that mix output that is not assigned to a DCA group, and thus not controlled by the DCA mute function?

I tested it with a cd player. I assigned the cd player channels to the DCA. The DCA mutes the cd in FOH but not in the floor monitors.

A thought: Could there be a difference depending on whether or not the mix is set "pre eq" in setup?

I'm not at my CL5, so I can't test.

Hmm.. I'm not by the CL5, but that would make some sense. I'll report back shortly.

Chris, what firmware version are you running?

V1.15

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:07:24 PM »

Hmm.

That's a bit non-intuitive of Yamaha. Muting the DCA (by my way of thinking) should be the same as pulling the DCA fader to the bottom, which should only affect post-fader sends. If it mutes pre-fade sends then that "DCA mute" is functioning differently than I would expect, and more like a mute group than a DCA mute.

That being said, I've never really looked into it, so maybe all consoles work that way.

Andrew, I know you have a lot more time on the 5D than I do, but I am also 99% sure that the 5D mutes prefade mix sends from the DCA group as well, since that would be where I picked up that trick. But I also seems to remember an option on the 5D set up where you could check a "link DCA and mute" or some such option, which I can't find on the CL5.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »

I tested it with a cd player. I assigned the cd player channels to the DCA. The DCA mutes the cd in FOH but not in the floor monitors.

Hmm.. I'm not by the CL5, but that would make some sense. I'll report back shortly.

V1.15
I did this same test, and the CD player was muted in the prefade mix output, when I muted the DCA group.

But, I'm on firmware v 1.14...I wonder if this is a bug with the new firmware. I was going to upgrade this week since we are dark, but now I may wait.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.