ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is the LABSUB the only open source project on this site?  (Read 8576 times)

Jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

Why is the LABSUB the only open source project on this site?
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:21:04 AM »

The LAB subwoofer was truly a awesome project.. I really don't remember when I came to this site.. but I know I spent way to many hundreds of hours reading and getting involved in conversations.

I was brought here by the LAB SUB. I built some.. and sadly recently retired them all in the past 2 years.

So why has there not been any other projects? Technology sure has come a long was since the LAB SUB. Is it because Danley and his folks are running a business now?

Its been what.. 10 years or so?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Why is the LABSUB the only open source project on this site?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:51:34 AM »

The LAB subwoofer was truly a awesome project.. I really don't remember when I came to this site.. but I know I spent way to many hundreds of hours reading and getting involved in conversations.

I was brought here by the LAB SUB. I built some.. and sadly recently retired them all in the past 2 years.

So why has there not been any other projects? Technology sure has come a long was since the LAB SUB. Is it because Danley and his folks are running a business now?

I can address Tom Danley's motivation for the LABsub - it was to show that a high performance horn sub didn't have to cost US$4,000+.  The details are a little fuzzy, but I recall the design being a direct response to a commercial product Tom found overpriced and underperforming.

Another professional audio forum with open source projects can be found here:  http://soundforums.net/diy-audio/
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »

I can address Tom Danley's motivation for the LABsub - it was to show that a high performance horn sub didn't have to cost US$4,000+.  The details are a little fuzzy, but I recall the design being a direct response to a commercial product Tom found overpriced and underperforming.

Another professional audio forum with open source projects can be found here:  http://soundforums.net/diy-audio/
You pretty much nailed it.  No manufacturer or products will be named.

This was also done during a "lull" in Tom's "time". He has always been a DIY type of guy and he wanted to "give back" to the community.

But now he is very busy with a whole stream of new products being worked on.  DIY is still in his blood-and there may be some more DIY in the future.  But making a living has to come first.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »

Ivan, what is this "making a living" you talk about?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »

Ivan, what is this "making a living" you talk about?

It's a little story we tell the children so they'll feel better about working in the mill.  Instead of going to school.  Locked in, 14 hours a day.

Or it could be something else.  I'm getting old and forgetful. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »

The LAB Sub was a once in a lifetime very generous contribution, by a very experienced and exceptional loudspeaker design engineer, in collaboration with the professional forum participants who helped steer the design targets.  At the time TD was not competing with his own commercial interests so graciously gave for free, a world class design to the world. His contribution was very valuable, and perhaps only he can one-up his own design.

I wouldn't hold my breath for this to happen again, and am very happy to see TD able to breath life into his new creations. He is changing the world of large scale sound reproduction one box at a time.   

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »

He is changing the world of large scale sound reproduction one box at a time.
I'm sure Tom would also be happy to change it many boxes at a time if you want to place a larger order.   :)

P.S. I'd guess Mike wouldn't mind either.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »

I'm sure Tom would also be happy to change it many boxes at a time if you want to place a larger order.   :)

P.S. I'd guess Mike wouldn't mind either.

He is changing it one box design at a time...

there fixed it for ya...  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Rick Powell

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »

He is changing it one box design at a time...

there fixed it for ya...  8)

JR

He changed my world of "small" sound reproduction 2 boxes at a time, twice.  BTW, he lurked in on a thread at diyaudio.com a few times when the crowd was zeroing in on the design of the TH-118, and didn't go on an intellectual property rant.  I think he was genuinely pleased that people were trying to come to a legitimate tapped horn design by trial and error and modeling, rather than sawing one apart and copying it.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:15:06 PM »

You pretty much nailed it.  No manufacturer or products will be named.

This was also done during a "lull" in Tom's "time". He has always been a DIY type of guy and he wanted to "give back" to the community.

But now he is very busy with a whole stream of new products being worked on.  DIY is still in his blood-and there may be some more DIY in the future.  But making a living has to come first.
Do you mean paying the bills, and stuff like that? :D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:15:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.