ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no love for the 'sound' of Yamaha digital consoles?  (Read 106350 times)

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
Re: Why no love for the 'sound' of Yamaha digital consoles?
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »

I think you find it is common practice to have the analog electronics clip before the digital ones do to avoid digital clipping. It has been a long time since I have heard hard digital clipping on any console.

Mac

I think the consoles (the types I have tried this on, anyway) just hard limit and don't allow you to produce digital clipping. 

A good example is a hot snare top channel that has a big 250Hz boost and lots of makeup gain on the compressor.  Even if the pre-EQ meter has some headroom left the pre-fader meter may be pegged, and it still doesn't sound like a good old overloaded DAT player, or whatever.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2013, 08:55:11 AM »

do you know which Yamaha boards have the preamps from the AD-8 in them?

I know Mac answered your question, but just to add to it:

This Yamaha preamp
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/interfaces/mla8/
uses the same circuit as that found in this mixer
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/dm2000vcm/
and probably this one, too
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/mixers/dm1000vcm/

Scott Helmke

« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2013, 09:09:40 AM »

Peter, are you suggesting that Yamaha preamps are really great and it's just their headphone amps that possibly suck?

Hmmm... I do have a piece of Presonus gear, a little stereo firewire interface.  It in fact *does* have a crappy headphone amp, though the preamps are fine.  The result, with a bog standard pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones, is a thin and tinny sound compared to any other headphone output I've ever used.

Jim Baron

« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »

That may be because Yamaha products has done right by many people and helped quite a few of us owners actually make some hassle-free money :)

Sennheiser wireless systems all use the same companders.  Midas consoles all use two basic designs of preamps and all top notch components.  When Electro-Voice broke new ground with RMD technology with their X-Array systems in 1997, they quickly applied that to all their lines of loudspeakers.  These are examples of companies who have done right by their customers by ensuring them equal sonic capabilities in arenas where different levels of performance and technical capability is required.  Yamaha uses different components down the line in their products. And their MI consoles are off-the-shelf designs that they put their name on, which sound completely like hearing the ocean when you fill 20 channels on them.  There is no separation between the preamp and the rest of the product, and Yamaha digital boards are obviously viable and quite popular for professional applications.  But when you gig a lot and something repeatedly sounds funny, you try to target the cause of it.  But I haven't heard anyone fully take the other side of the popular consensus on sound:  does anyone PREFER the sound of Yamaha digital boards to Midas, Allen & Heath or Soundcraft and why?

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »

Well I will say it since nobody has,
After utilizing this board for 4 months I love our new CL5 with Premium plugins, Dante integrated network capabilities, fantastic new ergonomics and YES the preamps do sound great. It's a real pleasure to mix on!
I believe Yamaha have really outdone themselves with this new console and that the CL5 will be in demand around the world for many
years to come ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:36:59 AM by Ivan Feder »

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »

Well I will say it since nobody has,
After utilizing this board for 4 months I love our new CL5 with Premium plugins, Dante integrated network capabilities, fantastic new ergonomics and YES the preamps do sound great. It's a real pleasure to mix on!
I believe Yamaha have really outdone themselves with this new console and that the CL5 will be in demand around the world for many
years to come ;D

I've said it. More than once. When I have a second, I'll post the link(s).

Geri O

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »

I've said it. More than once. When I have a second, I'll post the link(s).

Geri O
Sorry Geri, didn't see your posts!  ;)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Why no love for the 'sound' of Yamaha digital consoles?
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2013, 10:21:12 AM »

"CLS-9", where are you!?

Scott Helmke

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »

Sennheiser wireless systems all use the same companders.
Nope, they have at least two different companders in their current product lines.  This is easily provable, because the 3000 series receivers have a setting for it.

Midas consoles all use two basic designs of preamps and all top notch components. 
Yamaha uses different components down the line in their products.
Here's a weird bit of hair-splitting.  Designs vs. components.  How many preamp designs are out there anyway?  Really not that many.  And components change because of suppliers, processes, and things like RoHS requirements. 

And when you start looking at schematics for a living, you start to notice that almost all designs are "off the shelf", generally simple variations on circuits found in the application notes for various parts.  Going back to Fender vs. Marshall amps there's maybe a 5-10% difference between the two, both of which are obviously built around the original vacuum tube design books from the manufacturers.

Really I don't mind people having opinions about sound, it's what makes things interesting.  But please don't latch onto marketing terms or make up your own pseudoscientific explanations for why you might hear a difference.

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »

To Jim:
If a Yamaha console is good enough for the Rolling Stones, it's good enough for me!
http://www.audioprointernational.com/news/read/the-rolling-stones-rely-on-clair-global-for-50-counting-gigs/05435
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:27:15 AM by Ivan Feder »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.