ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Community S-218s? Any experience with it?  (Read 14926 times)

Onlin Barna

Community S-218s? Any experience with it?
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »

Hello.

I'm going to buy 2 pieces of Community S-218s subwoofers, and Im curious if anybody has them or has experience with them?

And my other question is that, will they be enought for an outdoor, electronic music, 500-1000 people party?

I will power them with 2 amps with bridge mode, one amp = 1500w 4 ohm bridge (Crest audio cpx-1500).

Thank you for your answers.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 01:56:28 PM by Onlin Barna »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Community S-218s? Any experience with it?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »

Not even close.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Onlin Barna

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »

Not even close.

Thanks. And what do you think, for how many people will it be enough? Maybe 2-300 people parties?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »

Thanks. And what do you think, for how many people will it be enough? Maybe 2-300 people parties?
It depends on how loud you want to run them.  Different people have totally different ideas of "loud".  It is NOT about the number of people, but how loud you want it-and how deep you want them to reproduce.

Don't you think it is a little bit late to already decide to buy a product-AND THEN ask questions about it and if it will work for a particular application?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »

Hello.

And my other question is that, will they be enought for an outdoor, electronic music, 500-1000 people party?

Thank you for your answers.

I am providing for a New Years Eve show this monday, the headline is a DJ named Wolfgang Gartner.  I think the legal Occupancy is around 600 in the outdoor area where I am setting up.  I was going to use 6 high output 3-way tops and 12 high output 2X18" subs but I think I will actually end up bring out 16 of the subs instead.  That should be enough.  Two subs would be enough for the DJ monitors and nothing else.

Onlin Barna

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »

It depends on how loud you want to run them.  Different people have totally different ideas of "loud".  It is NOT about the number of people, but how loud you want it-and how deep you want them to reproduce.

Don't you think it is a little bit late to already decide to buy a product-AND THEN ask questions about it and if it will work for a particular application?

Yes I thought the same. So I think I will need more pieces of it. (Its 127db continious and 132db peak pressure so from even 5-10m from the subs it would cause permanently hearing loss just in some minutes...)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »

Yes I thought the same. So I think I will need more pieces of it. (Its 127db continious and 132db peak pressure so from even 5-10m from the subs it would cause permanently hearing loss just in some minutes...)
How do you figure that?

Let's do a little bit of math. Let's use the 132dB peak number.

10M is a 20dB loss over 1M  So that is 112dB at 10M.  Next let's assume 15dB peak to average ratio (this is up for debate-it could be more or less)-so subtracting 15dB gives 97dB.

And if you add in (or subtract) the periods of time that the music is either not playing-or quieter periods in the music-the "average number" goes down even more.

And that is assuming you are running the cabinet right up to the edge of destruction.  If you are running it with a little bit of headroom (which is ALWAYS a good idea), the max level would go down-so the continuous or "damage level" would also go down again.

So if you were to measure with a DOSE meter-it would probably be closer to 80-85dB at 10M.  Not exactly what most would say would do permanent damage within a few minutes.

It would take a brave man to do a 1000 people outside gig with a pair of 132dB sub cabinets.

And if you consider that very often the subs are run 15dB louder than the full range cabinets-then that means that full range cabinets would be in the range of 70ish dB.  Of course if that ratio is less-then this number could be way off.

HOWEVER-it depends on the expectations of the audience.  It might be just fine.  Just don't expect anywhere near dance club levels.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »

For EDM - smallish indoor clubs of 125-150. That's all those subs would be good for.

I don't think you have a realistic idea of what it takes to reproduce contemporary electronic dance music at club or festival levels. My strong suggestion would be to go out and listen to what's being done out there, and then check out the gear that's being used.

And the amount of gear it takes to pull it off.

Onlin Barna

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 03:17:42 PM »

How do you figure that?

Let's do a little bit of math. Let's use the 132dB peak number.

10M is a 20dB loss over 1M  So that is 112dB at 10M.  Next let's assume 15dB peak to average ratio (this is up for debate-it could be more or less)-so subtracting 15dB gives 97dB.

And if you add in (or subtract) the periods of time that the music is either not playing-or quieter periods in the music-the "average number" goes down even more.

And that is assuming you are running the cabinet right up to the edge of destruction.  If you are running it with a little bit of headroom (which is ALWAYS a good idea), the max level would go down-so the continuous or "damage level" would also go down again.

So if you were to measure with a DOSE meter-it would probably be closer to 80-85dB at 10M.  Not exactly what most would say would do permanent damage within a few minutes.

It would take a brave man to do a 1000 people outside gig with a pair of 132dB sub cabinets.

And if you consider that very often the subs are run 15dB louder than the full range cabinets-then that means that full range cabinets would be in the range of 70ish dB.  Of course if that ratio is less-then this number could be way off.

HOWEVER-it depends on the expectations of the audience.  It might be just fine.  Just don't expect anywhere near dance club levels.

This is a little bit off topic but at 112db the maximum suggested time to listen is 1 minute, to not get damage of hearing.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »

This is a little bit off topic but at 112db the maximum suggested time to listen is 1 minute, to not get damage of hearing.
AGAIN-the SIMPLE answer.  Music is NOT a constant level.  The OSHA limits are for constant level-like with machinery.

HENCE the reason I said DYNAMIC RANGE or crest factor.  If you are using the PEAK output capacity-then the AVERAGE level will be well below that.

There is no "simple answer" for the "SPL" of music.  Therefore a DOSE meter is the best way.

Just take an SPL meter (your choice) and run a loudspeaker up to its "maximum" (I will let you determine what that is). with music playing.  Put it 1M away and see if the reading is anywhere near the rated SPL.

Is the meter wrong?  Is the loudspeaker rating wrong?  Let's assume neither.  But what IS wrong is the actual measurement-how it is done-how the loudspeaker rating was arrived at and so forth.

Once you start doing measurements and find that they don't "stand up" to what you think-THEN you should start to question things-and that will lead to a better understanding of what is going on.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.