ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!  (Read 21822 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »

mackie dl1680

They're using a 16 channel mixer at the moment and by my count they're about maxxed out.  A 24 will probably do them fine and give them a bit of flex.  Plust when you get over 16 channels you get sub-groups, the ability to select pre- or post- dynamic processing to the aux monitors (obviating the need to split inputs and burn channels) and sufficient auxes to do stereo IEM's for four or five musicians.

As such, the 1680 is more of a sideways step with a higher "gee-whiz" factor, but not really  more functionality.  Plus you're dependent on an iPad........not a situation I'd want to be in.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »

OK, I recommended the DL1608 before, but knowing that the kid is going to belmont, I'd like to change my vote to the Yamaha 01v96. This mixer will expand out to 40 channels, yet it still fits in a rack.

The reason I think it might work for him is that the 01v is absolutely not a toy-like beginner's mixer. It will do just about everything the high dollar big boy mixers will do. Although it starts off pretty humble with 12 channels, you can expand it whenever the need arises, and your wallet allows. You can put high-end preamps on it, remote control it, midi control it, paint it yellow and call it Susie, or whatever. It is extremely flexible. Just search around at what some people are doing with this rig and you'll be surprised....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jack keaton

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »

So from the jest of the thread I should be led to understand that the OP MUST have a digital board and it should be either an X32 or Presonus SL. On top of that purchasing any analog board is a sideways step at best.

The OP's son has been borrowing a Mixwiz, which can be defined as the nicest low budget entry level first mixer most people new to sound buy. When the world was mostly analog it was "Buy a Mixwiz". Now that digital has come around to a lower price point it's "Buy an X32, or Buy a Presonus." Guess what? Almost anything analog costing over $1500 will have better sound and more features than a Mixwiz. So why the need to make an immidiate step to a $2500 plus entry level digital board, OR high end low channel count analog board of Midas or APB quality?

OP, please take some time to stop and smell the roses. There are a large number of solutions available that have been overlooked. A logical next step up for you and the band could be another rack mount or larger small channel count board with better and more features. In that sense you could start your quest by looking at a Mackie 1640i, Mixwiz 3 14:4, GL2400-24, Midas Venice F16R, Soundcraft LX7ii 24, GB4-24, and still have some money left for a case, cables and all the other crap you'll eventually want.

OR, You could spend $2000 and buy a Presonus 16.4.2, OR, you could spend $3000 for an X32.

Of course if you go the analog route you'll probably buy an EQ and eventually some additional outboard gear, but that won't be a problem either. If you act quickly you'll find plenty of good quality analog outboard gear available from people who buy entry level digital boards. But you need to act quickly because sooner or later the prices will rise once it's realized those folks should have held on to some of that gear.

At any rate, please take the time to make this next step a cost effective and logical step within the limits of your budget.

you can get x32 for same price as 16.4.2

Jack keaton

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 04:32:55 PM »

OK, I recommended the DL1608 before, but knowing that the kid is going to belmont, I'd like to change my vote to the Yamaha 01v96. This mixer will expand out to 40 channels, yet it still fits in a rack.

The reason I think it might work for him is that the 01v is absolutely not a toy-like beginner's mixer. It will do just about everything the high dollar big boy mixers will do. Although it starts off pretty humble with 12 channels, you can expand it whenever the need arises, and your wallet allows. You can put high-end preamps on it, remote control it, midi control it, paint it yellow and call it Susie, or whatever. It is extremely flexible. Just search around at what some people are doing with this rig and you'll be surprised....

01v96 is not a walk up to a mix board. I owned it, I was the only one that knew how to run it.

Simple solution is link another mixwiz with what he has.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

you can get x32 for same price as 16.4.2

Nope.  At least not at Sweetwater (a randomly selected on-line retailer):

x32  goes for $2999
16:4:2 goes for $1999

Jack keaton

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »

Nope.  At least not at Sweetwater (a randomly selected on-line retailer):

x32  goes for $2999
16:4:2 goes for $1999

I hope you shop around better when you buy gear..

Dear Gear Shopper,

Thanks for submitting a LOWEST PRICE request for the following item:
   * Behringer X32 Digital Mixer, 32-Channel - New

The lowest price for this item we were able to verify at our competitor is (hiding prices so I dont get anymore emails) with free shipping. This includes any applicable discounts.

We are happy to say we can beat this price with our LOWEST PRICE offer of (hiding prices so i dont get anymore emails) with FREE shipping.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:49:39 PM by Jack keaton »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 04:57:18 PM »

I would agree with Tim's suggestion of the 01v96 as the lowest initial cost, smallest footprint, most expandable and highest functioning digital entry desk.

Edit: 

Names changed to protect the innocent......
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:55:18 PM by dick rees »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »

Mackie DL 1608. They could each dial in their own mix. Loving this mixer the more I use it.
However, not if they want 24 inputs nor is it at least currently ideal for monitors since all sends are post the channel processing.

If they have no external channel or system processing and would be able to use such functionality effectively then a digital console could be a good value, but at the present time anything more than 16 channels will probably require bumping up the budget.

Jack keaton

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »

I usually do.  The point is that the x32 is not at the same price point as the 16:4:2.  When I bought mine (16 channel Presonus) I did a bit of shopping and got it for just under $1600.  That's still cheaper than whoever's knocking off the B*****  stuff for cheap.

That said, I would agree with Tim's suggestion of the 01v96 as the lowest initial cost, smallest footprint, most expandable and highest functioning digital entry desk.

That was a 5 min search and I got it that low, I am sure I can get it for less if I actually talk to someone. regardless I agree that the 01v96 is a quality board, If I had a choice I would still be using it. But it does take time to learn.

Frank Sesso

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »

You guys are so much help! I truly appreciate it! The Yamaha has me intrigued...the Behringer and Presonus are the two I've looked at the most closely.  :)

Hopefully I won't get any negative remarks about having my kid attend Belmont - Lol. We loved the school when we visited it and Nashville is amazing! I'm just trying to help him fulfill his dreams of being involved in music on a serious level while he is also working on his degreel!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:10:50 PM by Frank Sesso »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.