ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!  (Read 21656 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »

Crest CC amp, Crest CA amp, by no means will I stop buying crest amps, for one the name sells, 2 I know that amps fail for various reasons. Now if everyone of my crest amps would have failed would I buy them? nope.

What I was getting to was what may be buzz on the internet isnt always whats going on.
More people will complain about behringer gear because there are more people buying it, bigger market, also a market where a less knowledgeable user is at the steering wheel. If you would of read his post you would of understand why I posted my results.

also if I didnt delete what I was replying to it would have also made more sense.

Yup, I don't know the CC amps but there were a issues with a few models in the CA series. I recall when I went up to Crest to help kick the tires before Peavey bought Crest, there were pallets of CA amps sitting around waiting for rework or whatever..

While Crest has a good rep for their amps, sh__ happens (at least for the CA).

Behringer appears to be making an honest effort to clean up their act, but have their own rouges list of old SKUs with issues. So far the X32 seems to be doing OK, but is still relatively new.   

I don't have a good suggestion for the OP, lots of choices.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »

If analog is on the table I recommend the Yamaha MG32/14fx. I've used this mixer for the last 5 years running 50-80 shows a year and traveling thousands of miles. Never has as much as a sneeze out of one. 24 full inputs plus 4 additional stereo inputs, 4 full time aux sends plus 2 digital effects processors built in. Can be easily had for less than 2k with a road case and if you're interested I've got one I just pulled off the road for 800+shipping (no case). btw, this console is actually only about a year old. I sold my console and repurchased the same model every year for 5 years. I liked it that much.

Yuck.  This is a horrid piece of excrement, possibly the wost small mixer Yamaha ever made.  Our local PAC has 2 of them; the stagehands that use them often will find the half-working Soundcraft Venue II in the basement and use it before taking an MG from the locker.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »

If you're looking to step up from a MixWiz, in the analog world the better choices seem to be:
1. A&H GL2400 - not a huge step up sonically, but you get nice things like polarity reverse on each channel. Twice the cost of the Wiz.
2. APB ProRack House - huge step sonically.  This is a "big boy" desk in "little boy" clothes.  Three times the cost of the Wiz.

In the digital world:
1.  SL24 - nice enough to work on, but I've found the EQs a bit unresponsive for my tastes.  Three + times the cost of the Wiz.
2.  X32 - I liked it enough to buy one.  Very flexible, and easy to dial up some good sounds.  Three times the cost of the Wiz.

You should be able to get a nice sounding mix from any of these (including the MixWiz).  It really depends on what you think the Wiz is lacking for your particular application.  For portability, the APB is the only one of these that fits in a standard rack.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Frank Sesso

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »

You say your son is playing in a band and is miking everything in 300 person clubs.  How many inputs do you actually need?  Who is running the mixer and what is their experience mixing?  Where is the mix location?  Do they currently have any system processing?  Does you son plan to continue down this path where considering how a mixer may fit into longer term plans makes sense?

Casically, a new console may be nice but will they be able to use it effectively and is that the most effective upgrade to consider?

He'd love to have 24 inputs and who is running the mixer depends on which one of his friends is available...they actually are fairly accomplished for being so young (they've been playing live for years at a variety of events).....the mix location is at the back of the crowd (he has a 100 foot snake)....plans are for him to attend Belmont University in the fall to study Audio Engineering - I've contemplated waiting until then to purchase for a number of reasons:

• curious to see what other students have to complement his equipment
  • wondering what he can pick up locally in terms of used, quality equipment

Frank Sesso

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »

Frank....

What (if any) digital doohickeys do the kids have that might play into going digital?  I'm talking iPads/iPhones etc which run apps that allow control of digital mixer functions, either full mix or individual monitors.  You may want to consider how what you get will allow them to use some of the technology they may already have, stuff which is becoming ubiquitous among the younger set.

they have ipads and iphones...thanks for the advice!

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 11:05:25 AM »

they have ipads and iphones...thanks for the advice!

Mackie DL 1608. They could each dial in their own mix. Loving this mixer the more I use it.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »

Lack of subgroups or pre-processing sends kills the Mackie for many applications IMHO. Not to mention apple's new connector that made it instantly a legacy product.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »

Not to mention apple's new connector that made it instantly a legacy product.

Apple still sells iPads with the 30 pin dock connector, just not the Retina display model or the Mini. All products become legacy as some point, there are 10s of millions of iPads out there that will work just fine with the DL-1608.

Mac

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »

Apple still sells iPads with the 30 pin dock connector, just not the Retina display model or the Mini. All products become legacy as some point, there are 10s of millions of iPads out there that will work just fine with the DL-1608.

Mac

That is a good point. I wouldn't be terribly concerned if I had one, but I'd prefer not to buy in when it is already legacy.

Matteus Köza

• SWEDEN - Västerås
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »

mackie dl1680
KORG PA2x & KORG PA3x PRO
RCF TT25a

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.