ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!  (Read 21640 times)

Frank Sesso

Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 11:09:42 PM »

There are MANY places you can get a far better price than Guitar Center btw...

We just visit there so we can touch and try some equipment -  :)  - and purchase the occasional cable in a pinch.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 11:11:09 PM »

I've had behringer gear out last my most expensive gear. I put the behringer gear through hell. I would opt for the behringer x32, 5 year warranty, for 2k you cant go wrong.

I don't expect Behringer reliability to be significantly better or worse than other value products.

If your personal experience is that it outlasts your "most expensive" gear, i suggest you stop buying that (those?) other brand(s).

In the spirit of sharing useful experience with other forum members (what this forum  is all about) what were those other inferior products you paid so much for?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 12:36:32 AM »

I'd probably go for the mackie DL1608 for you setup. It will be more than you need, and I suspect that "quality" isn't what you're after so much as it's "flexibility". The DL will have all the eq, comps, gates, and FX you need for a band this size. Plus you can leave it on stage and walk out front with the ipad to mix, which saves you the money on a snake.

Other than that, it's hard to beat what you already have for quality under 2000 dollars. Soundcraft makes the GB2r which is a nice little desk, but honestly any analog desk will be a sideways move at best.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jack keaton

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 01:03:52 AM »

I don't expect Behringer reliability to be significantly better or worse than other value products.

If your personal experience is that it outlasts your "most expensive" gear, i suggest you stop buying that (those?) other brand(s).

In the spirit of sharing useful experience with other forum members (what this forum  is all about) what were those other inferior products you paid so much for?

JR

Crest CC amp, Crest CA amp, by no means will I stop buying crest amps, for one the name sells, 2 I know that amps fail for various reasons. Now if everyone of my crest amps would have failed would I buy them? nope.

What I was getting to was what may be buzz on the internet isnt always whats going on.
More people will complain about behringer gear because there are more people buying it, bigger market, also a market where a less knowledgeable user is at the steering wheel. If you would of read his post you would of understand why I posted my results.

also if I didnt delete what I was replying to it would have also made more sense.

I had a GC manager suggest the Behringer to us tonight - I'm aware of Behringer's not so stellar reputation with past consoles and also those who have complained about the Presonus. Decisions, decisions, decisions!  :)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 06:16:04 AM »

So from the jest of the thread I should be led to understand that the OP MUST have a digital board and it should be either an X32 or Presonus SL. On top of that purchasing any analog board is a sideways step at best.

The OP's son has been borrowing a Mixwiz, which can be defined as the nicest low budget entry level first mixer most people new to sound buy. When the world was mostly analog it was "Buy a Mixwiz". Now that digital has come around to a lower price point it's "Buy an X32, or Buy a Presonus." Guess what? Almost anything analog costing over $1500 will have better sound and more features than a Mixwiz. So why the need to make an immidiate step to a $2500 plus entry level digital board, OR high end low channel count analog board of Midas or APB quality?

OP, please take some time to stop and smell the roses. There are a large number of solutions available that have been overlooked. A logical next step up for you and the band could be another rack mount or larger small channel count board with better and more features. In that sense you could start your quest by looking at a Mackie 1640i, Mixwiz 3 14:4, GL2400-24, Midas Venice F16R, Soundcraft LX7ii 24, GB4-24, and still have some money left for a case, cables and all the other crap you'll eventually want.

OR, You could spend $2000 and buy a Presonus 16.4.2, OR, you could spend $3000 for an X32.

Of course if you go the analog route you'll probably buy an EQ and eventually some additional outboard gear, but that won't be a problem either. If you act quickly you'll find plenty of good quality analog outboard gear available from people who buy entry level digital boards. But you need to act quickly because sooner or later the prices will rise once it's realized those folks should have held on to some of that gear.

At any rate, please take the time to make this next step a cost effective and logical step within the limits of your budget.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 08:45:37 AM »

My son is currently playing local small clubs (max 300 people) in a live band (2 guitars, bass, keys, drummer and singer with two of the musicians singing backup) and I was interested in getting him a quality live mixer to go with his current setup:

2 QSC KW 153's
2 QSC KW 181 subs
4 electro voice elx112 p monitors

He's miking all the cabs and the drums.

He's currently been using a mix wiz (borrowing it) or his own Mackie ProFX22  but I'd like to upgrade/expand what he's using. I don't mind spending some money (up to $2000 - I can go higher if something is close in price at a much better quality) but I want to make sure that what I'm getting him is something that's flexible, reliable and easy to utilize.
You say your son is playing in a band and is miking everything in 300 person clubs.  How many inputs do you actually need?  Who is running the mixer and what is their experience mixing?  Where is the mix location?  Do they currently have any system processing?  Does you son plan to continue down this path where considering how a mixer may fit into longer term plans makes sense?

Basically, a new console may be nice but will they be able to use it effectively and is that the most effective upgrade to consider?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:09:30 PM by Brad Weber »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »

Frank....

What (if any) digital doohickeys do the kids have that might play into going digital?  I'm talking iPads/iPhones etc which run apps that allow control of digital mixer functions, either full mix or individual monitors.  You may want to consider how what you get will allow them to use some of the technology they may already have, stuff which is becoming ubiquitous among the younger set.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Sabine

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »

If analog is on the table I recommend the Yamaha MG32/14fx. I've used this mixer for the last 5 years running 50-80 shows a year and traveling thousands of miles. Never has as much as a sneeze out of one. 24 full inputs plus 4 additional stereo inputs, 4 full time aux sends plus 2 digital effects processors built in. Can be easily had for less than 2k with a road case and if you're interested I've got one I just pulled off the road for 800+shipping (no case). btw, this console is actually only about a year old. I sold my console and repurchased the same model every year for 5 years. I liked it that much.
"I think it needs more barn"

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:16 AM »

If analog is on the table I recommend the Yamaha MG32/14fx. I've used this mixer for the last 5 years running 50-80 shows a year and traveling thousands of miles. Never has as much as a sneeze out of one. 24 full inputs plus 4 additional stereo inputs, 4 full time aux sends plus 2 digital effects processors built in. Can be easily had for less than 2k with a road case and if you're interested I've got one I just pulled off the road for 800+shipping (no case). btw, this console is actually only about a year old. I sold my console and repurchased the same model every year for 5 years. I liked it that much.

No.  Just no.

They've already got the use of a MixWiz which is sonically better than the MG series.

I've had to suffer through "helping" people who made the unfortunate choice of buying an MG.

Dull, lifeless and drab are the adjectives which come to mind.  The amount of compensation needed to try to reconstitute some natural sound on an MG is just ridiculous.  Arguably one of the worst lines of gear EVER foisted on the public.

Other than that, they're sturdy........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »

No.  Just no.

They've already got the use of a MixWiz which is sonically better than the MG series.

I've had to suffer through "helping" people who made the unfortunate choice of buying an MG.

Dull, lifeless and drab are the adjectives which come to mind.  The amount of compensation needed to try to reconstitute some natural sound on an MG is just ridiculous.  Arguably one of the worst lines of gear EVER foisted on the public.

Other than that, they're sturdy........

Likely the most worthless channel eq ever built into a board.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.