ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!  (Read 21637 times)

Frank Sesso

A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:29:29 PM »

Hello all!

My son is currently playing local small clubs (max 300 people) in a live band (2 guitars, bass, keys, drummer and singer with two of the musicians singing backup) and I was interested in getting him a quality live mixer to go with his current setup:

2 QSC KW 153's
2 QSC KW 181 subs
4 electro voice elx112 p monitors

He's miking all the cabs and the drums.

He's currently been using a mix wiz (borrowing it) or his own Mackie ProFX22  but I'd like to upgrade/expand what he's using. I don't mind spending some money (up to $2000 - I can go higher if something is close in price at a much better quality) but I want to make sure that what I'm getting him is something that's flexible, reliable and easy to utilize.

I would really appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:38:43 PM by frankandstephen »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »

Quality and $2k max?  MixWiz, which you already have.  To go higher, you're looking at M200i, or Midas Pro1, or an A&H GLD, all of which are over $2k.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »

Quality and $2k max?  MixWiz, which you already have.  To go higher, you're looking at M200i, or Midas Pro1, or an A&H GLD, all of which are over $2k.

Used Presonus 24.4.2 or an X32. I would never recommend a Mixwiz with all the trouble I have had with them over the past year.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:25:08 PM »

Used Presonus 24.4.2 or an X32. I would never recommend a Mixwiz with all the trouble I have had with them over the past year.

+1 on the Studiolive or perhaps a 01V96

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »

I would recommend your attention to the Soundcraft LX7ii-24. 
With your budget you have enough to buy a new one plus a nice road case for it.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »

And if analog is fine then you can have the best sounding, most flexible, best built small format mixer on the planet for about $2500.

http://apb-dynasonics.com/products/Products_ProRackHouse.html
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Penkala

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 11:49:05 PM »

Hello all!

My son is currently playing local small clubs (max 300 people) in a live band (2 guitars, bass, keys, drummer and singer with two of the musicians singing backup) and I was interested in getting him a quality live mixer to go with his current setup:

2 QSC KW 153's
2 QSC KW 181 subs
4 electro voice elx112 p monitors

He's miking all the cabs and the drums.

He's currently been using a mix wiz (borrowing it) or his own Mackie ProFX22  but I'd like to upgrade/expand what he's using. I don't mind spending some money (up to $2000 - I can go higher if something is close in price at a much better quality) but I want to make sure that what I'm getting him is something that's flexible, reliable and easy to utilize.

I would really appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks so much!

Frank,
         I would go with a Behringer X32 or a Presonus StudioLive. If you already have analog outboard gear and wish to stay with an analog console the APB Dynasonics ProRack House is fantastic. To me it sounds better than the Midas Venice 320 and Midas Venice F32. And yes, I currently own all three of these consoles.

JP

Frank Sesso

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »

Frank,
         I would go with a Behringer X32 or a Presonus StudioLive. If you already have analog outboard gear and wish to stay with an analog console the APB Dynasonics ProRack House is fantastic. To me it sounds better than the Midas Venice 320 and Midas Venice F32. And yes, I currently own all three of these consoles.

JP

I had a GC manager suggest the Behringer to us tonight - I'm aware of Behringer's not so stellar reputation with past consoles and also those who have complained about the Presonus. Decisions, decisions, decisions!  :)

I appreciate all of the intelligence and experience of those of you on the board - I'm definitely a novice in the field and trying my best to get my son some decent and reliable equipment to work with!

The QSC's have been great and the EV 112xp's were so inexpensive we couldn't pass them up! (Musician's Friend had them for $448 WITH a cover and we got 15% off and a rebate on the cover so they came in at A LOT cheaper than the $599 asking price everywhere we found them!  He's just using them as monitors so we figured he really can't lose with these!)

Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions!

Jack keaton

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:09:03 PM »

I had a GC manager suggest the Behringer to us tonight - I'm aware of Behringer's not so stellar reputation with past consoles and also those who have complained about the Presonus. Decisions, decisions, decisions!  :)

I appreciate all of the intelligence and experience of those of you on the board - I'm definitely a novice in the field and trying my best to get my son some decent and reliable equipment to work with!

The QSC's have been great and the EV 112xp's were so inexpensive we couldn't pass them up! (Musician's Friend had them for $448 WITH a cover and we got 15% off and a rebate on the cover so they came in at A LOT cheaper than the $599 asking price everywhere we found them!  He's just using them as monitors so we figured he really can't lose with these!)

I've had behringer gear out last my most expensive gear. I put the behringer gear through hell. I would opt for the behringer x32, 5 year warranty, for 2k you cant go wrong.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »

There are MANY places you can get a far better price than Guitar Center btw...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.