ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!  (Read 21820 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »

On....and it's "situation", not "sitiation".

Thanks for pointing out my typo.  Classy.

While we are at it... it's Oh, not on...   :-*

The error in mixing that was causing feedback was not being able to remember how to run the board.  It was new gear to the crew.  That is the point I am making.  They moved to the digital board because it was "better" but did not practice with it enough before getting out in front of a crowd with it.  In conversation after the fact, the guy running the board "got lost".  From what the OP has stated in previous posts his childs  friends have been mixing for his child.  That leads me to believe they are used to the gear, and are already running it “successfully” and my suggestion is a digi board may complicate things.  Thats all...

I agree that simply substituting a MixWiz for a Digi board of any variety would have cured the feedback that night.  Being able to use the gear in front of you is.  My suggestion is the digital board may be above the heads of the people being asked to run it.  If that is a non issue, then spend away.

Yup.  It is a non-issue.

Was it switching from the Wiz or not having an outboard graphic that was the problem?  Was the feedback in the mains, the monitors or both?  Would they have been equally as lost on another, newer analog board? There's just not enough information to assign blame to any piece of gear.  Obviously they didn't know what they were doing at that particular moment.  That is not the fault of the gear, and I maintain that since they apparently did not cure the problem by immediately switching back to the Wiz, you cannot validly assert that doing so would have sufficed.....in spite of your assertion that they had not had the problem in the past.

If you get lost on a StudioLive, try sticking your fork in the gravy.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:56:07 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Joe Gislason

• Selkirk Manitoba Canada
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »

If you get lost on a StudioLive, try sticking your fork in the gravy.

Haha!

Feedback was in the monitors, no outboard EQ. They ran 31 band dbx eq's with the old setup.  I felt bad for them. Switching back to the old gear would have worked had the brought it with. 

I think they would have been equally lost on any digi board. Again I am not blaming the gun for missing its target. More the shooter.  That is my only concern for the OP. The who's who of buddies needing a lesson on how to run the board before each gig.

Can I get more Vuvuzela in my monitor?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »

Haha!

Feedback was in the monitors, no outboard EQ. They ran 31 band dbx eq's with the old setup.  I felt bad for them. Switching back to the old gear would have worked had the brought it with. 

I think they would have been equally lost on any digi board. Again I am not blaming the gun for missing its target. More the shooter.  That is my only concern for the OP. The who's who of buddies needing a lesson on how to run the board before each gig.

OK.  So we're finally agreed that it wasn't the fault of any particular board, but that they had come unprepared.  Human error.  Now it's time for me to confess that I ran outboard EQ's on my StudioLive until I came to trust the built-ins.  I use GraphiQ's for my rigs (except for when I haul out the KT 360/410 combo for really juicy stuff) because of the precise surgical control they give.

Now that I've moved up to the 24 channel SLive with its improved channel strip EQ and SMAART, I no longer use the GraphiQ's.......but they're in the van with the Wiz in case I need backup.

Glad you like the gravy reference.  That one's REALLY old......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »

If your relying on the random available kid, or trusted bystander to run sound for your kids band, I would consider the transaction a little more seriously..... While I am in firm belief that anyone can pretty much walk up to the desk and provide information on how to make it sound better, I will be damned that many could actually create the magic if I walked away and said go for it : )

What I really mean is that when your going to rely on an unknown level of talent to play with your multi thousand dollar investment, you may consider usability and reliability. It takes a bit of time for even a seasoned operator to wrap their heads around a digital desk. Although there are some with the wysiwyg ( what you see is what you get ) layout, it doesn't mean that they get it...... What I have come to find is the level of accountability falls pretty short when shit hits the fan in a group situation. Who blew that speaker up; " it wasn't me ", comes to mind.

I am a huge supporter of the go digital route, but in your case you are bargaining a large investment on something that you and likely anybody else knows little on how to use it. Not that they can't be trained, or learn, but that takes time. It's how much time you can get out of a person for free that is the question? And still you are at the whim of talent. Just because they know how to get to the correct page and make an adjustment, do they know why they are making it and is it actually the right one? At least with analog it's all right in your face and you can quickly do something if stuff starts to go downhill. With most digital desks it takes at least two button pushes to get to the place you need to be. On an analog desk all you need to know is where to look.

It's definitely a moment of pride when you got your kid on stage and he's showing the girls what he's got : ) It isn't so much fun when you have a lot of problem caused by lack of knowledge on how to run the equipment, or solve issues in general. 9 out of 10 times I would say go Digital, in this case I say K.I.S.S................ Keep It Simple Stupid..... I can say that I don't know many bands that run their own sound that also sound really good. Myself included ( I'm the one doing sound ) and I actually have a good idea of whats going on. They can't hear what they need to hear other than what sounds good to them. The mix your own monitor feature is great until the MORE ME thing gets out of control. This is where a centralized guy that knows more about what is going on than the band does is a good thing. The voice of reason you might say. I feel a digital desk will impede the making it simple and easy, being actually a higher learning curve with greater pressure and confusion. Food for thought.........
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.