ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!  (Read 21827 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: A quality live mixer - some assistance please!
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »

01v96 is not a walk up to a mix board. I owned it, I was the only one that knew how to run it.

Simple solution is link another mixwiz with what he has.

Exactly why I suggest the 01v96. It is a real console and not a beginner/garage band desk. If this kid is going to go to Belmont to study engineering then he will have to sell most of these desks as soon as he gets past mixing 101. Why not start him out with something that he can grow with and will do the job even after he graduates.

For me that means the 01v96 or the X32. And since the X32 has not proven it's reliability yet, I would lean towards the Yamaha. Not to mention the Yamaha will be a great user interface for any recording software he might be using in school. It will also support multiple, very popular digital protocols via the mini-ygdai slot.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »

You guys are so much help! I truly appreciate it! The Yamaha has me intrigued...the Behringer and Presonus are the two I've looked at the most closely.  :)

Hopefully I won't get any negative remarks about having my kid attend Belmont - Lol. We loved the school when we visited it and Nashville is amazing! I'm just trying to help him fulfill his dreams of being involved in music on a serious level while he is also working on his degreel!  ;D

+1 for the 01V96 in terms of flexibility and reliability.  These have been around for a long time, are built very well, and are extremely flexible.  I do a lot of different kinds of events and I can always program this board to do what I want.   Add a Behringer ADA8000 for 8 more channels to start with 20 mic preamps.  Decent preamps at an outstanding price. 

The 01V96 consoles do have a learning curve, they're not something you walk up to and use unless you are only changing volumes.  You can actually spend 100s of hours on the board and still be discovering new features and new ways to do things, which is not entirely bad if your son plans to do this for a living and has the patience and likes to learn.   
Mark McFarlane

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »

The reason I think it might work for him is that the 01v is absolutely not a toy-like beginner's mixer.
The X32 is definitely not a toy.  I'll admit it was extremely hard to get past the name on it, but this thing is the real deal - matching or surpassing feature sets on $10k desks.  That said, the 01v deserves consideration.  Personally, I found the X32 to be superior.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »

Hello all!

My son is currently playing local small clubs (max 300 people) in a live band (2 guitars, bass, keys, drummer and singer with two of the musicians singing backup) and I was interested in getting him a quality live mixer to go with his current setup:

2 QSC KW 153's
2 QSC KW 181 subs
4 electro voice elx112 p monitors

He's miking all the cabs and the drums.

He's currently been using a mix wiz (borrowing it) or his own Mackie ProFX22  but I'd like to upgrade/expand what he's using. I don't mind spending some money (up to $2000 - I can go higher if something is close in price at a much better quality) but I want to make sure that what I'm getting him is something that's flexible, reliable and easy to utilize.

I would really appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks so much!

If the borrowed MixWiz is working, just get your son his own Mixwiz.
My son's rock band (similar instrumentation to your son's) uses my MixWix 3 16/2 and is perfectly happy.
It does everything he needs it to do.
He also uses two DBX 2231 EQ's (4 monitor mixes available)

I just purchased a second similar unit from GC (online for $799.00 during the day-after Christmas sale) for my use going forward.  I have had my MixWiz for the past 6 years and it has been bullet-proof while being easy to use.

My suggestion: go with the Mixwiz and spend the remaining $ on upgrading your son's instrument, instrument case, vocal mic, etc. or get him some additional lessons so that he can become a better musician.

just MHO..

Mike M 

Joe Gislason

• Selkirk Manitoba Canada
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »

He'd love to have 24 inputs and who is running the mixer depends on which one of his friends is available...
    [/list]

On this alone I would stick with an analog board.  Much more simple to run.  I really wanted to buy a Presonus 16.4.2 but after watching a band doing its own sound trying to solve feedback issues with little success, i decided to keep it simple.  I got a MixWiz 16:2 and never looked back. 

With some direction i can get friends to do sound in a pinch, our regular guy does a great job, and when I have to run it from stage its still easy for me to play drums one handed while I grab an eq slider.  I am much better at ring out than when I first started, and have only had feedback issues a couple of times. 
    Can I get more Vuvuzela in my monitor?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
    « Reply #45 on: December 29, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »

On this alone I would stick with an analog board.  Much more simple to run.  I really wanted to buy a Presonus 16.4.2 but after watching a band doing its own sound trying to solve feedback issues with little success, i decided to keep it simple.  I got a MixWiz 16:2 and never looked back. 
    Sorry, Joe, but none of the above info really says anything valid without context and more detail.  "Simple to run" is pretty nebulous, depending on the task to be accomplished, the experience of the user(s), the setting, etc..  And could the "band doing its own sound" tech their way out of a wet paper bag in the first place?  Why should you base your purchases on the ability of a random band with no sound man and why should we give credence to an opinion formed on an apparently single instance involving musicians in a DIY situation?

I use both the StudioLive and the MixWizard, carrying the Wiz as a backup console.  If you can mix competently on the A & H, you can (usually within 15 minutes) find your way around a "digi-logue" desk like an SLive.

The only significant difference between the two consoles is the dbfs metering on the channels of the SLive.  Otherwise they are pretty much functionally interchangeable.
    [/list]
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Joe Gislason

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »

could the "band doing its own sound" tech their way out of a wet paper bag in the first place?
    I use both the StudioLive and the MixWizard, carrying the Wiz as a backup console. 

They could on the MixWiz they used to use. 

If you can mix competently on the A & H, you can (usually within 15 minutes) find your way around a "digi-logue" desk like an SLive.

Can the OP's buddies?  That is the real question.

The only significant difference between the two consoles is the dbfs metering on the channels of the SLive.  Otherwise they are pretty much functionally interchangeable.

If there is no real signifigant difference, they why bother with a digital board?

My real question to the OP is who will be running the "upgraded board"?  If the OP's child is going to be a musician and have someone doing his sound, the uniform answer on the board here is hire someone.  If everyone and his dog will be doing the sound, why bother complicating an already complicated sitiation.

Jack keaton

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »

Sorry, Joe, but none of the above info really says anything valid without context and more detail.  "Simple to run" is pretty nebulous, depending on the task to be accomplished, the experience of the user(s), the setting, etc..  And could the "band doing its own sound" tech their way out of a wet paper bag in the first place?  Why should you base your purchases on the ability of a random band with no sound man and why should we give credence to an opinion formed on an apparently single instance involving musicians in a DIY situation?

I use both the StudioLive and the MixWizard, carrying the Wiz as a backup console.  If you can mix competently on the A & H, you can (usually within 15 minutes) find your way around a "digi-logue" desk like an SLive.

[/list]

+1

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
      « Reply #48 on: December 29, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »

They could on the MixWiz they used to use. 

Can the OP's buddies?  That is the real question.

If there is no real signifigant difference, they why bother with a digital board?

My real question to the OP is who will be running the "upgraded board"?  If the OP's child is going to be a musician and have someone doing his sound, the uniform answer on the board here is hire someone.  If everyone and his dog will be doing the sound, why bother complicating an already complicated sitiation.

Joe....

It is illogical to assume that simply substituting their MixWiz would have solved their feedback problem.  You cannot make such a statement.  There are simply too many factors to focus blame on any one thing.

Your implied criticism is specious at best.

On....and it's "situation", not "sitiation".
      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Joe Gislason

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »

On....and it's "situation", not "sitiation".

Thanks for pointing out my typo.  Classy.

While we are at it... it's Oh, not on...   :-*

The error in mixing that was causing feedback was not being able to remember how to run the board.  It was new gear to the crew.  That is the point I am making.  They moved to the digital board because it was "better" but did not practice with it enough before getting out in front of a crowd with it.  In conversation after the fact, the guy running the board "got lost".  From what the OP has stated in previous posts his childs  friends have been mixing for his child.  That leads me to believe they are used to the gear, and are already running it “successfully” and my suggestion is a digi board may complicate things.  Thats all...

I agree that simply substituting a MixWiz for a Digi board of any variety would have cured the feedback that night.  Being able to use the gear in front of you is.  My suggestion is the digital board may be above the heads of the people being asked to run it.  If that is a non issue, then spend away. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.