ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega speakers  (Read 10086 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Omega speakers
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »

Jamin, It's worlds better than what WAS in there and you know it!

Omega is MPA's house brand. They have managed to put some leased rigs in a few select venue's around the south but mostly they are used for their own purposes.

I think that I've used all of the Omega stuff except for that line array there, but I have a new job which will bring me in close contact with that beast fairly soon I'm sure.  ;)

The standard front-loaded boxes they have are halfway decent. The 112 top and 118 sub use Eminence drivers last I heard and had a pretty good passive crossover. I've used them for sidefills several times and as a FOH PA at south-by.

The P8 (or whatever they call the 8" monitor) is a good little box. It's a B&C woofer and the PSD2002 CD. The 112 monitors are good too. I have used the 212 monitor a couple times and they were horrible. Although I think they might be fixable with DSP. They fed back at 2k no matter what you did. Any mic, any position, any time, it was all 2k. The weird thing is that they sounded pretty decent just running music through them, So it's not really a freq response thing. Probably a crossover weirdness happening.

I was led to believe that the 212 monitor has a coax 12"+1" combined with a bandpass loaded 12" driver inside the cab. They had some serious kick and would make a great rock wedge if they figure out the 2k thing. We used them for Slayer and they had plenty of volume for those guys.

The new line array things are pretty basic. They use (I think) B&C horn drivers on regular LA horn adaptors. The LF section are 8" woofers. Hence the V28 and V48 designations. There are some cool features on the boxes but they are mostly geared towards easy truck pack and flying more than actual science and math.

*edit* One more thing I hated about the 212 monitor is that it has no mirror image pairs. The horn is right hand only.

Hey Tim,

Yep, you know the venue. It is better than what was in there. But from all the hype that's been put out about this new system , I was expecting better than what I heard. Believe or not, it's really not much better.

FYI, old system: 4-SRX725 per side, 4-SRX728 per side plus a couple of Vegas. Various bridged amps. Mostly low quality amps.

duane massey

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »

Nice cabinet shop, great marketing (but very shallow), and very little technical info.
Why do people think they can use the same components that everyone else does, put them in pretty boxes, and somehow they have done something that no one else can? A small box with an Eminence 18" in it is (how show I say this?) ho-hum at best. Since all the goobledygook is not accompanied by any drawings of the actual mid/high boxes, it's anyone's guess what is actually going on there. Might work great......
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 12:48:52 AM »

Nice cabinet shop, great marketing (but very shallow), and very little technical info.
Why do people think they can use the same components that everyone else does, put them in pretty boxes, and somehow they have done something that no one else can? A small box with an Eminence 18" in it is (how show I say this?) ho-hum at best. Since all the goobledygook is not accompanied by any drawings of the actual mid/high boxes, it's anyone's guess what is actually going on there. Might work great......

The 8" is the only product I've heard (to my knowledge), it didn't suck when I heard it (but I wasn't the monitor guy, so I don't know what it took to get what I heard).  Having heard the 8", I'm not inclined to reject their other products out of hand.

I, too, would be interested in seeing some measurement data...

Perhaps an alternate question - "Is it better than Soundbridge Xion?"
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »

Tim, I worked with some Soundbridge products at a local club. Not the Xion stuff, but the cheaper simpler stuff. Full-range boxes were OK if not pushed real hard, subs were unusable. Quality of cabinetry was excellent, and they at least make their own horns, but still nothing to get excited about. Have no idea if it is/was cost-effective, as I only installed it after it was purchased.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.