ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the cooling direction on Yamaha P-S amps?  (Read 2315 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
What is the cooling direction on Yamaha P-S amps?
« on: December 28, 2012, 01:51:44 am »

I'm intrigued by the P7000 with it's variable analog crossover. What I can't seem to find is if they cool back-to-front, or front-to-back. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks....  8)
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Frederik RosenkjŠr

Re: What is the cooling direction on Yamaha P-S amps?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:35 am »

They cool front to back.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:23:51 am »

They cool front to back.

Not that you'll see or hear them run much, they're temp controlled and don't turn on unless heatsink temps go above 60C.. which admittedly you may see more in Texas than I do up here in the frozen north, but overall these are cool running amps.
Also note that the variable filters are only 12db/oct so they're OK for some uses but not so much for others.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:44:41 am »

They cool front to back.
Well, that just blows. ;D
At least they don't suck.  ;) (depending on your point of view, of course)
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:48:41 pm »

I just picked up a used one from a friend for $400.
Decent amp, figured I would hang onto it as a spare.
The crossover feature works pretty good, very handy if you are doing biamp monitors...or just want to eliminate having a seperate crossover in your rack.
The amp also comes with a tamper plate that installs over the volume knobs so nobody can touch them.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 01:50:36 pm by Vinny DAgostino »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 04:34:00 pm »

I just picked up a used one from a friend for $400.
Decent amp, figured I would hang onto it as a spare.
The crossover feature works pretty good, very handy if you are doing biamp monitors...or just want to eliminate having a seperate crossover in your rack.
The amp also comes with a tamper plate that installs over the volume knobs so nobody can touch them.

Yeah I noticed that it was a 12dB/oct crossover, but the fact that it is continuously variable is kinda cool. It's priced like an analog amp, but has the one major feature that you would buy a dsp amp for. This makes it a great idea to put a couple in a carry rack for those times when I take a couple stick speakers and a sub out to a job. It makes a little rack very flexible, yet I can send it out with less experienced techs and they can set it up without software....

How are they for sub duty?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:25:20 pm »

Yeah I noticed that it was a 12dB/oct crossover, but the fact that it is continuously variable is kinda cool. It's priced like an analog amp, but has the one major feature that you would buy a dsp amp for. This makes it a great idea to put a couple in a carry rack for those times when I take a couple stick speakers and a sub out to a job. It makes a little rack very flexible, yet I can send it out with less experienced techs and they can set it up without software....

How are they for sub duty?

I have only tested it on sub duty in my basement driving a Yorkie TX9s sub.
It seems decent, mostly reminds me of how a QSC PLX3402 performs. Not the best, but not the worst on sub duty. I was only driving (1) ch. pushing the sub and used the other ch. to drive the QW3 using the crossovers on the amp. (works really good IMO)
I have used it powering my Peavey QW3 high packs and it performs fine, which is what it will be used for from here on out.
Without any real testing I would say the amp specs seem fairly close, again my reference points being a PLX3402/4050HD and a Crest Pro8200.
All of those amps seem very close (too me anyway) in there output, the Pro8200 and 4050HD being better on subs....but they all would work if needed.
Not sure how it would perform in bridge mode (I don't run any amps bridged).

ProSoundWeb Community

┬ź Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:25:20 pm ┬╗

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.