ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Software for planning installations  (Read 3383 times)

Tomin Tollefsen

Software for planning installations
« on: December 22, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a software I can use to plan installations, create wiring diagrams and block diagrams, and illustrations that will make it easy for customers to see what our ideas are.

I've been using Stardraw design 7 Demo version, but the full software is quite expensive, so I'm wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives. Any ideas out there?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Software for planning installations
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a software I can use to plan installations, create wiring diagrams and block diagrams, and illustrations that will make it easy for customers to see what our ideas are.

I've been using Stardraw design 7 Demo version, but the full software is quite expensive, so I'm wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives. Any ideas out there?
FIRST-you will have to change your name to your full real name-or the thread will quickly get locked.

I have been using Stardraw since just after it was created (at least as the name Stardraw.

I have been happy with it.

There are all sorts of additional features (that I don't use) that can be a benefit to many.

Yes it is expensive-but any good tool is.

If it is cheap- you get what you pay for.  And the free ones are worth every penny you paid.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:22 AM »

What exactly are you doing and what are you wanting to show your customers?  Most of my Clients are usually more interested in viewing sections, elevations, plans, etc. and while critical for other parties, few of the Clients few really care about seeing the line drawings.

There are a wide range of options (Stardraw, d-tools, Visio, SktechUp, VidCAD, Vectorworks, AutoCAD, Revit, etc.) and I have found that certain factors can be critical in deciding which works best for you:

• Do you need to work with architectural backgrounds and drawings provided by others?
  • Do you want to have integrated drawings, i.e. have a single equipment list that is common to line diagrams, rack layouts, etc.?
  • Do you want to generate equipment lists, quotes, cable labels, run lists and so on from the drawings?
  • Do you need to address wiring details such as individual conductor breakouts or multipair cable?
  • Do you care if your drawings look generic or do you want to be able to control the 'look' of the drawings?
  • Do you want pictorial type line diagrams?
  • Do you need or want to work in 3-D?
Stardraw's founder and CEO David Snipp's move to take the CTO position at Global Cache and their apparently acquiring the Stardraw intellectual property earlier this year may indicate a focus on the control aspects so I will be interested to see how that may affect Stardraw.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:22 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.