ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Size of conduit needed for 24 channel snake cable  (Read 10363 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Size of conduit needed for 24 channel snake cable
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 02:29:35 pm »

Our church is installing a new sound system.  We would like to run a 100 foot 24 channel snake cable from the front of the church to the choir loft.  About 40' of the cable would be outside, needed because of the construction of our church.  How large of a conduit would be needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Much,  August

Get a snake with bare ends. Then you can pull it through a small pipe (maybe 1" or 1 1/4") Then add the XLR's after you run it.

Use long sweep elbows no matter what size you decide to go with.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:58:04 pm by Jamin Lynch »
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 03:49:19 pm »

Get a snake with bare ends. Then you can pull it through a small pipe (maybe 1" or 1 1/4") Then add the XLR's after you run it.

Use long sweep elbows no matter what size you decide to go with.

A 24 ch snake with 8 returns is .85 to .93 dia depending on mfg.  1 in conduit has a ID of 1.029  1 1/4 has a ID of 1.39 Max recommended OD to pull through them is .75 and .99  so 1 1/4 MIGHT work but I wouldn't do it unless the conduit was already run and I had no choice and a good come-a-long and a lot of lube.
Not to Code

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 04:26:36 pm »

A 24 ch snake with 8 returns is .85 to .93 dia depending on mfg.  1 in conduit has a ID of 1.029  1 1/4 has a ID of 1.39 Max recommended OD to pull through them is .75 and .99  so 1 1/4 MIGHT work but I wouldn't do it unless the conduit was already run and I had no choice and a good come-a-long and a lot of lube.

I've done it before through 1". It depends on the OD of the snake, number of bends and how it's run. Every install is a little different. I'm just saying there is a way to run a 24 channel snake using pipe smaller than 4". Unless size doesn't matter. I was under the impression they wanted as small a pipe as possible.

We once ran a 24 channel snake through 2" pipe about 150ft under ground. It wasn't easy, but we did it. We also had hell running a 24 channel snake through 4" pipe because it had a lot of bends. Both were with all the XLR's on them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 04:32:32 pm by Jamin Lynch »
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 06:48:21 pm »

I've done it before through 1". It depends on the OD of the snake, number of bends and how it's run. Every install is a little different. I'm just saying there is a way to run a 24 channel snake using pipe smaller than 4". Unless size doesn't matter. I was under the impression they wanted as small a pipe as possible.

We once ran a 24 channel snake through 2" pipe about 150ft under ground. It wasn't easy, but we did it. We also had hell running a 24 channel snake through 4" pipe because it had a lot of bends. Both were with all the XLR's on them.

Beyond the basic question of why bother with any of this in an age of digital. If one is going to run the conduit and pull a snake without a fan why not just pull loose top quality twisted pair with foil and a drain wire or even better but more expensive twisted pair with braided shield? Various multi-pin connectors (do a search the pros and cons of the various brands and designs have been hashed here before) could be used at the wall in the front of the church to go to one or more removable drop style stage boxes and/or permanent recessed floorboxes in the stage could be wired direct if feasible. Simple to pull a few spare lines as well.

Brian Bolly

• A Tale of Two Continents
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 09:15:49 am »

For your own enjoyment, google "conduit fill calculator". Leave room for future expansion, and if you plan on pulling a snake with connectors, they need to be included in the calculations.  Anything more than about 35% fill is not recommended, especially when you start factoring in multiple 90 degree bends.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 09:15:49 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.