ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Size of conduit needed for 24 channel snake cable  (Read 10368 times)

August Beres

Size of conduit needed for 24 channel snake cable
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:14:40 pm »

Our church is installing a new sound system.  We would like to run a 100 foot 24 channel snake cable from the front of the church to the choir loft.  About 40' of the cable would be outside, needed because of the construction of our church.  How large of a conduit would be needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Much,  August

Bob L. Wilson

Re: Size of conduit needed for 24 channel snake cable
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:33:16 pm »

About 40' of the cable would be outside

As in outside the building? (If Yes, Where? Why? Please expand and describe.)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:04:09 pm »

Our church is installing a new sound system.  We would like to run a 100 foot 24 channel snake cable from the front of the church to the choir loft.  About 40' of the cable would be outside, needed because of the construction of our church.  How large of a conduit would be needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Much,  August

If I had to run a 100 ft snake through conduit outside, first I would want PVC conduit put together just as if it was to carry water (joints cleaned and solvent glued together.   I would ask for 4 in and perhaps accept 3 in if I had to.  Why?  Because you are going to want to pull something else in there now or later (Pull some fish strings with the snake) and with 4 in, if you bundle and wrap the fan end VERY carefully, and if your conduit bends are nice big radius then you can pull the snake with the fan end connectors on it.

Someone on this forum posted a how to for pulling a snake.  As I remember it they laid out the fan end and folded the XLRs back different lengths so no two were beside one another.  They held it in place with rubber bands.  Then cover the whole thing with plastic wrap, Then tape it up good together with the pull cord going back to the jacket before the fan.

BTW I would pull a couple of CAT5 or CAT 6  just because it is cheep and will be handy. 

BBTW If the church complains about the cost of 3 or 4 in PVC conduit, it is the perfect opportunity to go digital (Grin)
Not to Code

August Beres

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 03:54:17 pm »

As in outside the building? (If Yes, Where? Why? Please expand and describe.)
The conduit would be located on the side of the building, concealed by bushes, with clamps and totally sealed.  We have a concrete floor and arched beams.  It would be unsightly to run it inside. 

August Beres

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:05 pm »

If I had to run a 100 ft snake through conduit outside, first I would want PVC conduit put together just as if it was to carry water (joints cleaned and solvent glued together.   I would ask for 4 in and perhaps accept 3 in if I had to.  Why?  Because you are going to want to pull something else in there now or later (Pull some fish strings with the snake) and with 4 in, if you bundle and wrap the fan end VERY carefully, and if your conduit bends are nice big radius then you can pull the snake with the fan end connectors on it.

Someone on this forum posted a how to for pulling a snake.  As I remember it they laid out the fan end and folded the XLRs back different lengths so no two were beside one another.  They held it in place with rubber bands.  Then cover the whole thing with plastic wrap, Then tape it up good together with the pull cord going back to the jacket before the fan.

BTW I would pull a couple of CAT5 or CAT 6  just because it is cheep and will be handy. 

BBTW If the church complains about the cost of 3 or 4 in PVC conduit, it is the perfect opportunity to go digital (Grin)

You gave me some great advice. We were hoping to run a 2 1/2 inch conduit but I can see a larger one is the way to go.  I will try to find the forum you mentioned.  Thanks Much

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 04:28:40 pm »

You gave me some great advice. We were hoping to run a 2 1/2 inch conduit but I can see a larger one is the way to go.  I will try to find the forum you mentioned.  Thanks Much

August....

If you're running PVC for this, I would recommend a minimum of 4 inches.  If it was me, I'd run dual 4's just to be safe.  As has been recommended, treat it like plumbing and glue all the joints properly.  You can even run a pressure test to make sure it's sealed.  But.....

I always recommend that the run be sloped rather than level and the low end run into a "T".  The upward leg of the T is for your cable egress, the lower end of the T is a sump so that if any moisture condenses on the inside of the run or if any leaks should occur, you can simply pump out the water via an access cap at the top of the run.  Sorry I'm no good with drawings, but I think you'll get the idea.

A 3' extension for your sump will hold a couple gallons of water and should be sufficient.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 05:24:30 pm »

Here is the thread I mentioned.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,2882.0.html
Arnold B. Krueger  is the expert.

BTW  I have never tried this but as long as your conduit will be above ground I would be tempted to NOT glue the junction where the conduit leaves the building to make the turn and the junction where it goes back in.  Pull the snake,  If you get in trouble you can pull the conduit apart and pull in sections, then glue everything together.   Just a thought and a untried thought.  I really like the idea of the drain sump.  Running along the side of the building I picture a Y with the straight part going to a elbow and the sump and the 45 deg part going to a 45 deg elbow and into the building.
Not to Code

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »

Here is the thread I mentioned.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,2882.0.html
Arnold B. Krueger  is the expert.

BTW  I have never tried this but as long as your conduit will be above ground I would be tempted to NOT glue the junction where the conduit leaves the building to make the turn and the junction where it goes back in.  Pull the snake,  If you get in trouble you can pull the conduit apart and pull in sections, then glue everything together.   Just a thought and a untried thought.  I really like the idea of the drain sump.  Running along the side of the building I picture a Y with the straight part going to a elbow and the sump and the 45 deg part going to a 45 deg elbow and into the building.

Frank.....

I prefer to glue everything together for security.  If you need an access point, simply add a threaded/cap section at the corner or wherever you foresee the need to be able to help your pull.

Michael Robertson

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »

Hate to be the downer here, but it won't make a lick of difference if you glue it or not. With the conduit going inside to outside it will accumulate a very large amount of condensation rather quickly.
That's not to say that it shouldn't be glued, just want you to be aware that it will  end up with water inside no matter what you do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:25:17 pm »

Hate to be the downer here, but it won't make a lick of difference if you glue it or not. With the conduit going inside to outside it will accumulate a very large amount of condensation rather quickly.
That's not to say that it shouldn't be glued, just want you to be aware that it will  end up with water inside no matter what you do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That's why you incorporate a sump.....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:25:17 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.